Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're not going to believe this one:

Received my 4th (yes, count 'em 4th) Kindle 2 today.  The first three had the sun fading issue to varying degrees but all unacceptable.
This fourth one has some kind of electrical problem - wouldn't charge up and wouldn't even recognize when it was plugged into power.  Yellow light came on briefly and then went out and green light never came on in 7 hrs. of charging.  Tried it with 3 different power cords, the one I had, my extra one, and the one that came with it.

Three calls to customer service later (it's how I spent a good portion of my day) and trouble shooting to no avail, I'm getting a 5th K2!

And the punch line:  This one didn't have the sun-fading problem!

Who knows what I'll end up with this time.  I have such a headache!

Don't get me wrong, I really don't want to gripe about the Kindle - I love both of mine, the K1 and the K2 (well, in theory on this one).  But this situation is becoming ridiculous.  If it's not the twilight zone, then it's a good imitation of the movie Ground Hog's Day.

When Amazon said they would send me 20 Kindles until I got a good one, I didn't think they meant it literally!  LOL  Ouch, I've got to laugh or I'll cry.  :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MonaSW said:
Oh man DD, I'd be ready to punch something. Hope the next one is perfect!
Thanks, Mona. I'm going to bed to dream of a perfect K2. ;)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lynn said:
DD- that really stinks. Maybe the 3rd,4th 5th time will do it!

Lynn L
Yep, 5th time's a charm, I hope!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So sorry about your bad K2s.  If they wait long enough, K3 might be out....maybe you can upgrade.  LOL!! J/K!!  I'm sure your next one will be perfect. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
With all you've through, I hope that the next replacement will be perfect, and bring you good things for years!  :) :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow. I am so glad that my family and I were able to get K1s. I hope Amazon gets the glitches worked out on the K2, and I especially hope that your next one is everything you want it to be. Best of luck...

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
MonaSW said:
Oh man DD, I'd be ready to punch something. Hope the next one is perfect!
Careful, we once got a new refrigerator because someone lost their temper and felt that something had to be hit and it wouldn't e good for it to be the wife. At least it was 10 years old and I didn't break my hand. Older and somewhat wiser now. (Hit something with some give in it.) ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm in the same twilight zone as DD! Two Kindles with sun fade the replacement order for my third replacement was "lost" in the system. Two days and 4 calls to CS and it came yesterday. No wireless connection!! CS could not use the "not everywhere will get a signal" because it was right beside one with 4 bars.

4th replacement due to arrive today. I remember the excitement of that first delivery, even the second delivery. Now I feel like Eeyore...What's going to be wrong with this one. :(

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will re-name Kindle #5 if I can keep it.  I've been using the same name (Rae) that I picked for the original K2.  Maybe I'm jinxing them?  Have to think of a new one.  If I get a good one, I'm thinking a name that means 'good fortune' or something like that.  It has to be short, though, because I include the words, "if found call xxx-xxx-xxxx" with the x's being my phone number.  That way if I lose it and some honest person picks it up, the first thing they will see is how to contact me.

Any suggestions?  Where's Leslie?  She's good at naming them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
DD said:
Yellow light came on briefly and then went out and green light never came on in 7 hrs. of charging.
I feel silly suggesting this because it's such an easy fix and you may have already done it, but in case you haven't: Restart. Mine did the same thing right out of the box, but when I restarted it was fine and has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
DD - what can I say?  So sorry! 

Maybe VA can give you a good Japanese name for luck.

Fingers-crossed!  You will let us know!  Maybe a hard restart might do it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
4th kindle came today. Again no wireless connection, same as yesterdays. I can't believe there would be 2 "bad" kindles like this.

I talked to CS and asked if there was any hardware change in the new ones because the one I received on April 10 connects fine.

She talked to the "techs" and then had me go to the modem information page and give some information she can pass on to them.
They will get back to me.

I have a feeling I am going to have to choose between having a wireless connection on my older one but with sun fade and ghosting on the screen...
or no wireless and a nice dark, clear, no sun fade text!!!  I'll have to ponder that.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LibbyD said:
I feel silly suggesting this because it's such an easy fix and you may have already done it, but in case you haven't: Restart. Mine did the same thing right out of the box, but when I restarted it was fine and has been fine ever since.
Yes, I did that and then CS had me restart while it was hooked to my computer via USB. The yellow light came on briefly, but then went off. No green light ever. It wasn't just that it wouldn't charge, it wouldn't recognize that it was hooked to power. Even when it was plugged into the wall receptacle, it would tell me my battery was too low to do anything.

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion, though. :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
geoffthomas said:
Good Lord, DD. You deserve better than this.
Boy do I hope your problem gets resolved soon.
You are a great enabler and we need you to be able to focus.
Just sayin..... ;)
Yes, Geoff. I have hardly been able to heed the pleas for advice over in the accessories board while all this is going on. All those newbies, so little time! :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anju No. 469 said:
DD - what can I say? So sorry!

Maybe VA can give you a good Japanese name for luck.

Fingers-crossed! You will let us know! Maybe a hard restart might do it?
Thanks, Dona. I'm toying with the name Sadie. Kind of a form of Sa'ad which is the Arabic word for luck. We'll haver to wait until #5 gets here tomorrow to see if she is going to be a Sadie.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also had no wireless connection. I noticed then, my 3rd wasn't registered. Then I called CS and the guy tried everything and said he was sending me to "tech support" (I wondered who I was talking to). That gal tried a bunch of stuff, (it said it was already registered)she de-registered, tried more stuff, and she finally fixed it. I'm thinking it depends on who you talk to. Hang in there.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts