Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate doing them, especially real ones although I did the one I used in my previous historical novels. I need someone to do a map of medieval Scotland and Northern England for me. Because my previous map was of Scotland only, it won't do. Many of the locations are ones you simply don't find on modern maps and there is the issue of not stepping on some mapmaker's copyright. So... anyone here hire out for making maps?  :)

ETA: Or a recommendation. I prefer something fairly simple with an outline of the countries and the main locations labeled. Incidentally the border between them was slightly different than it is now.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The only specific map recommendation I have on my list is Jared Blando, who did a map for David Gaughran that David loved. http://theredepic.com/ . The Cartographers Guild is interesting, but I don't know anything about anyone specific there. http://www.cartographersguild.com/ . There are several general illustrators listed in the Artwork and design section of my resources page.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
How detailed did you want it? I'm a halfway decent sketcher. I'd give it a go for you for free if it is simple. Then you could open it in adobe and tweak it.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anotherdreamer said:
How detailed did you want it? I'm a halfway decent sketcher. I'd give it a go for you for free if it is simple. Then you could open it in adobe and tweak it.
Not very detailed. I have actually gotten praise for the one in the current novels which is an outline map of with specific locations mentioned in the book marked as well as the Firth of Forth. The new one will have to include either all of England or the North of England but no locations are below the area of Grimsby. Of course, if I used a full map of the island of Great Britain, I'd mark London which is mentioned as someplace they can't reach. Many of the locations mentioned aren't located on many modern maps of the UK. Actually it wouldn't *hurt* to include Ireland since locations there are referred to since during that period the Scots were also fighting in Ireland.

So... yeah. About like that. :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'll give it a go. Message me and we can exchange emails. If you can send me a sample of what you have, so we can stay consistent in style.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pearson Moore said:
J. R.,

I'm using Campaign Cartographer 3 for my WIP, Deneb. It gives excellent results, and not a long learning curve. Ten hours of work will get you up and running.

http://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp
Those don't work for real world maps I don't think although I think they're fine for fantasy maps. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts