Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I tried out a Kindle Countdown promotion. My sales weren't anything to write home about, but they were better than they have been for a while. The sales of my other books on Amazon increased after the promotion, too.

My sales on all the other outlets have been dismal at best. I haven't sold one book in over a year on Smashwords. Nook, Kobo, Draft2Digital together have given me a handful of sales in several months.

I recently read an article that stated authors should concentrate on one outlet (Amazon since it's usually the most successful) until they increase their number of books and become better known.

I'm seriously considering pulling all of my books and short stories and putting them all in KDP Select. That way I can alternate Countdown and Free promotions every month.

Anyone else out there only publishing with Amazon?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, but I regret it and I'll be canceling select the first change I get. The big problem with select is that you can't do perma-free, which seems to be the goose that laid the golden egg if you have a serial or sequels. You could also make short stories free as well; anything to get people looking at your catalog.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I can understand your thinking. If the other outlets aren't working for you and Amazon is, then their marketing/promotion tools might be worth the exclusive.

I do well on iTunes, KOBO and B&N. They account for 40% of my ebook sales and are the only channels that are growing (Amazon is flat).

I don't think there's any secret. I didn't do anything special to sell books there.

We tried an experiment some time ago with Select. I put up a title in my series for the 90 days, ran the promotions and free days. In that period, the book sold about 5,000 copies at $9.99. There were only 650 free downloads. We saw no impact to the other titles.

I figured that little experiment cost me about $6,000 in revenue lost from the other outlets during those 3 months.

Bottom line - do what is best for your market/readership. What works for one author might not for another.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would ask, how long have you been working on building up sales on other outlets. Amazon dominates the market so, right now, Amazon will dominate the sales.  My sales on other outlets are probably no more than 15% of my total, but that is about right considering the market share of the other players.  Small though it may be I still want market presence beyond Amazon. As the old saying goes, don't put all your eggs in one basket. 

·
0 Posts
Gabriel Beyers said:
Last month I tried out a Kindle Countdown promotion. My sales weren't anything to write home about, but they were better than they have been for a while. The sales of my other books on Amazon increased after the promotion, too.

My sales on all the other outlets have been dismal at best. I haven't sold one book in over a year on Smashwords. Nook, Kobo, Draft2Digital together have given me a handful of sales in several months.

I recently read an article that stated authors should concentrate on one outlet (Amazon since it's usually the most successful) until they increase their number of books and become better known.

I'm seriously considering pulling all of my books and short stories and putting them all in KDP Select. That way I can alternate Countdown and Free promotions every month.

Anyone else out there only publishing with Amazon?
I'm going with Amazon, and I'm looking forward to it. :)

L

·
0 Posts
I am in with Amazon and am well impressed with their marketing and support. The speed and ease of publishing and the impact on my sales since I began publishing in January is nothing short of impressive. My book gets emailed regularly to readers, which boosts sales and the ability to keep a close eye on overall sales (printed, ebook & audio) is well worth the exclusive arrangement.

It's likely different for others, but I'm a vote for the winning team ;)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I would run some tests with the Countdown and see if it's worth it. If you see an increase that's higher than your sales on other channels, then go for it. :D

In my opinion though, Select has run its course. They changed their algorithms so that the post free bump barely does anything for your location on the Popular lists. I'd imagine that Countdown has the same special sauce as Free, so basically you'll be relying 100 percent on where Amazon places you on the Countdown list.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Briteka said:
I would run some tests with the Countdown and see if it's worth it. If you see an increase that's higher than your sales on other channels, then go for it. :D

In my opinion though, Select has run its course. They changed their algorithms so that the post free bump barely does anything for your location on the Popular lists. I'd imagine that Countdown has the same special sauce as Free, so basically you'll be relying 100 percent on where Amazon places you on the Countdown list.
Both free and countdown can work well if you promote them, but I do think you have to promote. All my books are in Select, and both those tools work well for me. Different people do seem to have different results. Can be good to try one series in, one out, or whatever, and compare.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've been self-publishing for the same amount of time and when I first started I did really well. I haven't used Select with any of my books but now I've decided to use it for book number 4. If you don't experiment then you'll never know. It could be the best thing ever.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. I ran a countdown on one of my books and the sales blew what I get everywhere else out of the water. Not only that but my other books got a boost as well.

I may try another countdown next month and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
My sales have not had any real consistency anywhere. I launched my first novel on NookPress, Smashwords, and KDP. Within two days I had three sales on Smashwords, two on Nook, and one on Kindle. A month later there aren't any sales. So I went with Amazon, ran a few free promotions, saw a handful of sales per month for a few months following and then it all died again. I've never had a title borrowed. I ran a second free promotion over Christmas and saw no results following.

I released my second novel at the end of February and have seen two sales: one in February on the first day, one on March 1st, both for Kindle. From there sales have been dead everywhere until last night. I sold one copy of each book for the Nook. I think those two sales were because a buddy of mine kindly sent out a Facebook message after I made a blog post about my books being on Google Play. He asked his friends to "buy from his local author buddy so he doesn't starve."

I just released a short novelette (14k words) and managed to get Amazon to make it permafree. I'm hoping that will help gain some traction. For me, KDP Select didn't really do anything except put the book in the hands of some people for free. Some rated it high, one didn't. I didn't really see any sales resulting from freebies. I just gave away 2,500 copies for minimal future sales, zero borrows, and a handful of reviews.

L

·
0 Posts
I have no idea what the criteria is for promoting borrows except its a conditional part of KDP Select. When my books first came out the borrows weren't hefty, but now they run at about 50-60 a week and the galling thing is - I have no idea why this is. Maybe its the genre, or perhaps its the covers. I just don't get any feedback from Amazon on the issue. I don;t even get advised when I'm in the Daily email deal, which both of my books were in today.

All I can say is - it is worth being in KDP Select, for the countdown deals, the promotion and the 70% royalties. The Borrows are a bonus.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
People say not to put all your eggs in one basket but I'm not so sure.  It's not like there's a huge barrier to entry with other sellers.  Worst case scenario, you have to wait 90 days before you can sign up elsewhere. 

I've got my two pen name books in Select and it's done really well for them.  When I release the third (and final) book in the series, I might try the other retailers and do a permafree but I'm getting a decent amount of borrows.  They have KOLL in Germany, who knew that?

The only beef I have with Amazon is that they aren't paying my royalties properly but then I've never got a payment from Smashwords or from Kobo!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts