Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..........I just found out about this site a few days ago and then couldn't get on since it was down.  When I did I was thrilled.  There is so much information and I just might survive the wait for my Kindle if I hang out here with all of you. 

I am a bookaholic and have been since forever.  I particularly like mysteries for escapism, but I will try most anything as long as it catches my interest.  I'm married, work full time as a microbiologist, have two grown sons and one 8 month old granddaughter.  Reading for my husband and sons is limited to magazines, but they're indulgent of my obsession.

This seems to be a wonderfully friendly place and I look forward to being a part of the community.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Sherlock said:
Hi all..........I just found out about this site a few days ago and then couldn't get on since it was down. When I did I was thrilled. There is so much information and I just might survive the wait for my Kindle if I hang out here with all of you.

I am a bookaholic and have been since forever. I particularly like mysteries for escapism, but I will try most anything as long as it catches my interest. I'm married, work full time as a microbiologist, have two grown sons and one 8 month old granddaughter. Reading for my husband and sons is limited to magazines, but they're indulgent of my obsession.

This seems to be a wonderfully friendly place and I look forward to being a part of the community.
Sherlock--

I love mysteries too but have read almost everything over time, except assigned reading in school. ::)

Pass the time with us and your Kindle will be here before you know it!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Hi Sherlock, I am sure the wait for your Kindle to arrive will be much easier now that you have found KindleBoards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Glad to have you here!  Just keep watching the postings and time will fly, you will have your kindle in no time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Hi again Sherlock, thanks for coming over and introducing yourself. We all share a pasison for reading and our Kindles so you will fit right in. Nice to have you here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Sherlock -

Glad you came back after the KB were down.  That was unsettling for many of us here  ;D

Hope you will be joining some of the book klubs and continue posting here.

When is your Kindle expected?  You might be able to jump at a refurb if you like the idea of having one sooner.

Cheers,

Marci
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Hello, Sherlock!
Where in PA are you?
I'm in the southeast corner, backed up against Maryland and Delaware.

I don't have a Kindle, but I have been eyeing them for some time covetously. I'm not a techie person -- I think cell phones are for emergencies; I don't know how ipods work. This is the only techie gadget that has ever interested me.

A friend suggested I check out this board because, he said, everyone is so friendly and welcoming.

I think I would like a Kindle, but I wonder if I would miss the feel of a book in hand. I absolutely hate reading books as pdf files. I found that out the hard way!

So I guess I am looking to be convinced ... or not ...
It's too late for Christmas, but I have a birthday coming up in February!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
Hello Sherlock, welcome
Just received my kindle today.  Was scheduled for the Feb/March delivery, but surprise, it shipped yesterday and arrived about 1:30 this afternoon. 
The others are right.  If you read enough of these posts you'll be surprised how much you know before you even get to hold it. 
Good luck, debbie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marci said:
Hope you will be joining some of the book klubs and continue posting here.

When is your Kindle expected?
Marci
The baby isn't supposed to ship until early March. Woe is me. I check frequently to see if Amazon has anything new to tell me, but I just ordered it Monday so I think that's just wishful thinking.
I do plan to join one of the book klubs some time!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
dsalerni, welcome to you too!

If you are like most of us, within minutes of reading your first Kindle book you'll say, "Paper? Pfftt...."

Glad to have you here.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Welcome dsalerni and congratulations on your first post! I am reading twice as much on my Kindle and don't miss DTB's at all. Browse around here, Tips, Tricks and Trouble Shooting is a very informative board about the Kindle. Please let us know what your decision is.  :)

Linda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
dsalerni said:
Hello, Sherlock!
Where in PA are you?
I'm in the southeast corner, backed up against Maryland and Delaware.

I don't have a Kindle, but I have been eyeing them for some time covetously. I'm not a techie person -- I think cell phones are for emergencies; I don't know how ipods work. This is the only techie gadget that has ever interested me.

A friend suggested I check out this board because, he said, everyone is so friendly and welcoming.

I think I would like a Kindle, but I wonder if I would miss the feel of a book in hand. I absolutely hate reading books as pdf files. I found that out the hard way!

So I guess I am looking to be convinced ... or not ...
It's too late for Christmas, but I have a birthday coming up in February!
Welcome dsalerni! I am sure you would like Kindle... I have no doubt! Plus, hanging around here you will be a pro when you do get one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
drenee -- Congrats on the arrival of your Kindle!  What a good day it must be for you.  Enjoy.

dsalerni -- Welcome!  Nice to meet you.  I'm located in north central PA.
I thought a long time about the Kindle before I ordered one.  I tried ebooks a couple years ago on a Treo phone with a screen, I swear, the size of a postage stamp and decided I didn't like them.  Gee, do you wonder why??  I finally decided to take the leap and now I am psyched!  I can hardly wait for my Kindle and I'm sure I'll love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
dsalerni said:
I don't have a Kindle, but I have been eyeing them for some time covetously. I'm not a techie person -- I think cell phones are for emergencies; I don't know how ipods work. This is the only techie gadget that has ever interested me.

A friend suggested I check out this board because, he said, everyone is so friendly and welcoming.

I think I would like a Kindle, but I wonder if I would miss the feel of a book in hand. I absolutely hate reading books as pdf files. I found that out the hard way!

So I guess I am looking to be convinced ... or not ...
It's too late for Christmas, but I have a birthday coming up in February!
Hi, Dsalerni -

I found the movie on the Kindle home page to be most helpful. There are also Youtube videos that address the Kindle and the Sony models.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of people who buy a Kindle end up loving the Kindle. There are a few people here on KB who have both a Sony & a Kindle. Both have their pluses and minuses.

All I can say is, I enjoy both - the Kindle and books. One does not necessarily cancel out the other. For me, the Kindle's screen is big & is so much easier to read, and it's easier to hold [especially in a case] plus the ability to change font sizes all have me using the Kindle more than books. :D
And the books on the Kindle are nothing like PDF files. Another bonus of the Kindle is that eInk is not backlite, so there is not that kind of eyestrain you'd get from a iPod or a computer.

Better stop here or this will turn into my Amazon review post ::) You might find that helpful... here is the link
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1537.0.html

Hope this helps you,

Marci
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top