Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not bad with 2D art but 3D throws me for a loop - I don't know much about it.

I purchased a 3D model of a ship that I want to export for use in a paint program, eventually to be used in my book's cover. The model came in three formats: .MAX, .OBP, and .3DS

Does anyone know of a freeware 3D program that can import any of those formats, and then export as a bitmap (jpg, etc.)?
I've already tried Art of Illusion and Blender, neither of those seems capable of importing the file.

I'm reluctant to purchase a retail package because I only want to do this one job: import, adjust the angle to suit the scene, and export.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I don't know if they still do this, but a while back they were giving away Daz3D for free. Maybe that would read it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I tried it with Blender but it failed, produced an error. It may not have installed properly, I may try again.

Actually it seems to recognize the file but nothing appears on the screen. Need to explore the program more, unless you have any suggestions 

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
3D formats are a pain because most of them are proprietary and made to only work well with the program they're saved in (I'm looking at you, 3DSMax...) 3DS should import pretty well into Blender, but most likely won't import the textures correctly (which is what your error may be, or it could be complaining about triangles or strange polygons that Blender still has some trouble with).

Sometimes the scale is horribly off and the object is either gigantic or insanely small. In Blender after you import the 3DS hit B and draw a box over the entire screen (edit: or hit A to select everything in the scene) and see if it selects anything. If not, zoom out as far as you can and see if anything appears.

Photoshop CS6 has some 3D capabilities, but I haven't played around with it. Failing that you will have to set up a camera and render out an image to take into Photoshop (a whole other deal).

In the future, if you don't have Max or Maya, look for models that come in .obj format. This format, while not perfect, works really, really well for importing into other programs and Blender usually has no trouble with it. If you're new to Blender I suggest checking out http://www.blenderguru.com/ and http://cgcookie.com/blender/ for some really great video tuts. Blender is really powerful, but not exactly the most user friendly. There is a lot to know, especially if you want to use a different renderer than the default for more realistic results.

The OBP file you have does seem to be for Daz3D, which, as mentioned, was going for free for a while there. I have little experience with it, but it does seem more user friendly, but also a bit limited.

If you have any other questions, or want to post the error, I'll try my best to help you.

Take care,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts