Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also posted this topic on Kindle discussion forum so please forgive the duplication but I want as many opinions as possible because I was thinking of returning my Kindle 2.0.

Received my Kindle 2.0 and was very disappointed with the "improved contrast".  I'm wondering if I have a defective Kindle 2.0 but it seems to me that the Kindle 1.0 had a better contrast in that the print appeared darker and bolder against a lighter background?  I no longer have my kindle 1.0 to compare both screens "side by side".  If anyone else out there can do this I would appreciate their input.

I know the Kindle 2.0 has other advantages but frankly the Kindle 1.0 also has its own advantages and the Kindle 1.0 was more than functional for me.  If it is true that the Kindle 1.0 has a better contrast than the Kindle 2.0  then this issue for me trumps all other issues.  That's just me.

If the overwhelming opinion from Kindle 2.0 owners that their kindles have equal or better contrast than their old Kindle 1.0 I am going to ask Amazon to  replace my defective Kindle 2.0 otherwise I might just have to revert back to the Kindle 1.0.  Looking forward to people's input.  Thank you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
From the CS rep I spoke with today, they said this was definitely an issue they were looking at to fix with a software revision. They also said that it could be fixed by software.

This is how I understood it at least.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For me there is a slight difference, given equal font size.  The text on my Kindle 1 is a teensy bit blacker than on my Kindle 2.  It's very subtle, I have to hold  the two Kindles side  by side to see the difference.  I emailed them about it & got a nice reply.  I don't know if I would even notice it if my eyes weren't 67 years old  ::)   I hope they will fix it because I love my K2; even so I'm going to keep it anyway.  Maybe I'll keep my K1 by my bed for night reading because that's the only time I really notice it.

Kathie

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Have any of you guys actually compared them next to each other. I think there are some pics on this board. Based on the pictures, there is a difference. I have personally not seen it side by side in real life.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Today, I saw my first K1, I have a K2. And it was MUCH better, as far as the screens contrast.
Reading ability.
The background was lighter, the text darker, clearer.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Kind said:
Have any of you guys actually compared them next to each other. I think there are some pics on this board. Based on the pictures, there is a difference. I have personally not seen it side by side in real life.
I have one of each right next to me. My husband, kids and I all agree that there is barely a difference between the two.

I gave them both to my husband (who has absolutely no intrest in the Kindle whatsoever) and asked which one was easier to read. (I had it at Font 5) He said he prefered the K2. The text is clearer on that one and the background was fractionally darker, but not enough to make any noticable difference. He did say it appeared that the text was closer together on the K2..that's my fault since I changed the line spacing. I changed the line spacing to 5 and he liked that.

My 14 year old, who owns the K1, got the same drill, only with Font 1. She basically told me the same thing, no difference really, a little bit clearer on the K2. She then tried to give me her K1 and walked off with K2. She's now trying to convince me to buy her a K2 and she'll give her K1 to my next oldest daughter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for investigating this for me.  I am impressed that everyone is going to the full extent to check this out.  I just got off the line with the customer service rep and  got kind of a mixed message.  She initially stated that she has not personally heard any complaints about the Kindle 2.0 contrast being any worse than the 1.0 but upon further questioning about acceptance of the kindle 2.0 she stated that some people felt the print seemed a bit "washed out or pale" compared to the kindle 1.0.  Having said that,  she stated that because there was no problems noted with the contrast she does not know of any software fixes for this issue.  She did admit that just because she was not aware of any fixes does not mean that something might come out tomorrow.  In the end I am afraid she was not terribly helpful.  Again, any other input is appreciated.  Thank you all.

·
Registered
723 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I have one of each right next to me. My husband, kids and I all agree that there is barely a difference between the two.

I gave them both to my husband (who has absolutely no intrest in the Kindle whatsoever) and asked which one was easier to read. (I had it at Font 5) He said he prefered the K2. The text is clearer on that one and the background was fractionally darker, but not enough to make any noticable difference. He did say it appeared that the text was closer together on the K2..that's my fault since I changed the line spacing. I changed the line spacing to 5 and he liked that.

My 14 year old, who owns the K1, got the same drill, only with Font 1. She basically told me the same thing, no difference really, a little bit clearer on the K2. She then tried to give me her K1 and walked off with K2. She's now trying to convince me to buy her a K2 and she'll give her K1 to my next oldest daughter.
I have mucho faith in anything that LuvM4B's says.

But then that is just me...
Eric

·
Registered
108 Posts
ghum said:
Thank you all for investigating this for me. I am impressed that everyone is going to the full extent to check this out. I just got off the line with the customer service rep and got kind of a mixed message. She initially stated that she has not personally heard any complaints about the Kindle 2.0 contrast being any worse than the 1.0 but upon further questioning about acceptance of the kindle 2.0 she stated that some people felt the print seemed a bit "washed out or pale" compared to the kindle 1.0. Having said that, she stated that because there was no problems noted with the contrast she does not know of any software fixes for this issue. She did admit that just because she was not aware of any fixes does not mean that something might come out tomorrow. In the end I am afraid she was not terribly helpful. Again, any other input is appreciated. Thank you all.
I have exactly the same issue with mine. In certain lights it was better than others, but even on the largest font in certain lights it was not enough contrast...the text was too light against the background. In fact I could barely tell the differences in the lines on the battery indicator. I called Customer Service today to let them know. After a few tests they had me run on the Kindle, they overnighted me a new one. I should have it tomorrow. Hopefully the contrast on this one will be better. I have read on other threads that other people have compared 2 Kindle2's side by side and saw a difference.
I would call CS again if I were you. It' can't hurt to try a different one.
good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Readnswim,

Thanks for the petition.  I signed the petition and noted there were many names preceding my signing.  I take it others have also noticed this issue.  I would encourage everyone who would like to see the contrast improve to sign this petition as well.  Perhaps if Amazon perceives this as a significant problem that will hurt sales they will address the problem.  Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts