Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a slightly altered version of the cover for my book Mr. Ruins. I've been worried the original is too flat, unthreatening, and bland especially with the text bunched at the top. Is the new one an improvement, more eye-catching?

The book is a science fiction/post-apocalypse thriller.

Old:

New:

Old:

New:

Is it better? It's not the finished product, but I imagine if I go this way, it will look much like this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not a cover designer by any stretch:

I think you're right that the text in the old version looks really bunched up.  The newer version also highlights your name and the title by giving me less to focus on as a reader.  I see the image.  I see your title, and then I see your name.  That this is the first book should be an after thought, I think.

As for the eyes:  I think that depends on the book itself.  I don't mind it either way, to be honest.  Personally, I'd go with the art in the previous version, but only because I'm such a cover *art* junkie (the actual art, not the book cover design), so pretty art on its own is more likely to make me drool.  But I'm also very weird in that respect, I think.

Hope that's useful in some way!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely better.

It gives the book a personality and it doesn't look so generic.

Nice job.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all! I'm glad this new iteration is a step forward- so hard to know when I'm just trusting my own judgment. I'll propagate the style across the trilogy. The help offered by people on this board is legendary :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts