Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here is an interesting topic I think will be fun to get other people's take on it.

Especially for those who have several books out there already, it's quite normal as you pump out your work, that you naturally improve upon your skills and become better writers. Like I said, I'm only assuming here.

Have you ever finished up with book 4, 5, or 6 and then gone back and read your debut novel and wonder who in the hell wrote it? Even our perspectives change whether sentence structures are grammatically correct or not. So I can see where it is tempting to go back and make changes, improve on areas you felt were weak, and so forth.

So, how do you deal with this? Do you dive in and make edits and improve your earlier works, or do you leave it be and spend time pumping out the next novel?

For someone who just published their 2nd novel, I can see an overall improvement in writing from the beginning of book one up through book two. Not that I would go as far to say book one is bad, but you catch my drift. I assume this is all very normal and natural for authors of many works?

So how do you personally deal with this. Is it a blessing to know you are improving all the time and getting better with each novel or a curse, always feeling you "could have done better"?

Thoughts?  ;D

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
katherinef said:
I cringed when I reread my debut novel, but it's still one of my highest rated books, so there's no way I'm going back to ruin it for all those people who loved it. It was the only book I wrote without worrying about what people would think and without following any of the rules, and I'll never get that innocence back, so I'm glad I published it. ;D
Amen!!!! I didn't think I was going to turn my story into a book with my debut novel until I was well past the halfway mark. I never paid any attention to what others would think or if I should delete a cliche' etc. People read it and love it but I think, knowing what i know now, wouldn't have written it the exact same way. I am just eager to write new novels and not be caught up in my past.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.