Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my shiny new Kindle. Really liking it. And I've bought a number of books (all indie I might add) since that time. I just went online to see where my books were in the rankings, and I saw a book above one of mine that caught my attention. It had an interesting plot description, and a nice number of verified purchases that gave the book 5 stars, so I bought it.

Then it hit me. Since buying the Kindle, I've bought about 20 books to read on the thing! It's only been two weeks! I've become a hoarder! An ebook Ho! I thought about the previous book I bought and that one was only a hour earlier! What is this madness? Is there something I can take? How do I stop these impulse buys that seemingly take place without any thought at all? Do I need to get medicated to stop these urges? :-\

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Try getting the free ones since it won't cost you any money and you won't have to worry about your addiction. Amazon drops books down to zero for a couple of weeks and you can download those. The free book list is constantly changing.

Most are just as good as the ones that you have to buy. My wife is a free book addict and downloads them all the time.

I wouldn't mind if they put some of my novels on there free for a couple of weeks so people would read them. Then it would increase my sales.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/154606011/?tag=kbpst-20

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Except to always have a large pile of unread books waiting on your Kindle to be read. Every time I start making a dent in my pile, I acquire more and my queue goes up again. Those are just the books I've grabbed on sale or for free - when it comes to full priced books, I tend to just grab the sample and only buy them when I'm ready to read them.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It's only going to get worse! I do a lot of impulse buying. My TBR list just keeps growing and I can only read so fast! Not only do I have dozens of books on my Kindle I haven't read yet, but my wishlist on Amazon has over 100 books.  :-\ Every time I say to myself that I'm not going to buy anything else until I catch up I see something I just have to have.

One thing I really wish they would add is a way to number the books you have on the Kindle so that you can keep them in the order you want to read them instead of always shuffling the older stuff back. I've already lost track of the "next" book I was supposed to read several times.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
When I first got my ereader, I probably dropped $500 in a the span of 2 months. No joke. I've put off buying books because I had no where to put them. So, I went a little crazy (especially on the textbook-like works that I love to read but definitely don't have room for 10lb books).

However, now that I've had the reader a couple of years, I've slowed down. Now, I still buy more books than I used to because I have a wider range of books to access than I do at the store. However, the novelty isn't nearly as great. Also, I still buy paperbooks and hardcovers at more of a rate than ever because a) I've found several series that I love and now want to collection them in print and b) I have new bookshelves :D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm totally an impulse buyer! I just can't help a good deal. :D This is why I make everyone buy me amazon gift cards for birthday and Christmas. That way I can be as impulsive as I want. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think your addiction to impulse buys means the Kindle is working exactly as Amazon intended!  :)  I just snapped up a couple more this morning ... sigh!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Bleekness said:
So I just got my shiny new Kindle. Really liking it. And I've bought a number of books (all indie I might add) since that time. I just went online to see where my books were in the rankings, and I saw a book above one of mine that caught my attention. It had an interesting plot description, and a nice number of verified purchases that gave the book 5 stars, so I bought it.

Then it hit me. Since buying the Kindle, I've bought about 20 books to read on the thing! It's only been two weeks! I've become a hoarder! An ebook Ho! I thought about the previous book I bought and that one was only a hour earlier! What is this madness? Is there something I can take? How do I stop these impulse buys that seemingly take place without any thought at all? Do I need to get medicated to stop these urges? :-\
My solution to my impulse buying was to start using a Gift card. I put as much as I budget on it and when its out of money, I'm done for the month.

Otherwise, my Kindle and I are a DANGEROUS combination!

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's like an addiction, your going to have to find a good author/dealer who gives you good prices for when you get an itch. I hear there's a new website/program, KA (Kindle Anonymous) for people with your problem. They hold weekly meetings and everything.

Hi My name is Joe and I'm a Kindleholic...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
wm ollie said:
maybe you should stop buying for a while and start reading... after you buy mine, of course :D

seriously, that's how I keep my stack down, by making myself read what I've already purchased... after all, those books aren't going anywhere.
Great covers Wm! Very eyecathcing...and creepy.

I find I can rein the urge to buy in by telling myself that the book will still be available on Amazon tomorrow.
Try repeating this to yourself several times as your finger hovers on the 'buy' button (such an innocent looking button, who would dream of the addiction that lies beneath it.)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am definitely an e-book hoarder, in fact if you find a cure, let me know. No, I take that back, I like my sickness. It keeps me well supplied with lots of good books.  :D

I really do impulse buy, but, I have found a TON of great books and new series that way so I can't complain too much, although my husband might. But, I figure there are far worse things I could be buying and doing with my time. And eventually one day I will read them all, it might take a few years at the rate I an going but, meh, who cares. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do the download sample and see if I want to read it when I get to the sample. That way I don't have as many impulse buys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With all the cheap books for kindle, it isn't a big risk to buy a book for 99 cents.  If you were at a book store, its 7.99 min a pop,  thats 8 kindle books for the price of one.  So 20 is like buying 2.5 books.  Thanks nothing.  No hoarding IMO.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'm still revelling in the concept of having a TBR list! ZOMG! I hardly ever managed that with pbooks! Just before I got an ebook reader, I was going to a little charity bookstore and dropping $20 on 7-10 books each month... and I still finished up running out and re-reading. So the idea of having lots of books... available... that I haven't read... *faints*

1 - 20 of 20 Posts