Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it may be premature to post about the demise of Kboards (even if it's only the Writer's Cafe), there are enough people talking about leaving that it's pretty clear that this place won't be quite the same. With the in mind, I was curious about where folks will migrate to in terms of writing forums/communities.

So, for those who are comfortable doing so, please share where you expect to land.  (This is a twofold request: it will provide ideas about similar forums that might be worth checking out, and will let me, personally, know how to find people whose knowledge/experience I've found to be particularly poignant.  :D) And if you're staying, feel free to state that as well.  Thanks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I started modifying past posts earlier today, but have stopped. I'm going to remain here for now but I am going into Lurk mode. I don't post often anyway, but I just want to see how things pan out.

I'll be posting in the Writer's Sanctum, and hopefully get a lot more writing done!

C

·
0 Posts
Writer's Sanctum is awesome, everything I've wanted from kboards and more

·
Registered
891 Posts
C Winters said:
Writer's Sanctum is awesome, everything I've wanted from kboards and more
Can't see anything awesome about it - hardly any content as far as I can see. But you clearly know something I don't. Would you care to share why you think it is so awesome?

C

·
0 Posts
Kathy Dee said:
Can't see anything awesome about it - hardly any content as far as I can see. But you clearly know something I don't. Would you care to share why you think it is so awesome?
Well obviously it is in it's infant stages. There's still content there. A bunch of people from here re-meeting up and saying hello. The snowball has started to roll down the mountain.

For me, obviously the issue with TOS on kboards was strike 1. I guess you could add the politically incensed moderation to strike 1 as well.

Strike 2 was the corporate admin coming on, calling everyone trolls and then delivering an argument even Books Butterfly would cringe at.

Strike 3 was seeing the majority of reputable authors on this website are leaving and many are joining writer sanctum.

Author / kboards member Timothy Ellis is running the site and he is doing an absolutely amazing job. I'm loving it at the moment.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'll still be at AW, although I don't post there as often as I used to. Don't know if I'll try any new forums or not at this point.

ETA: I've just signed up at Writer's Sanctum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
CathleenT said:
I'll still be at AW, although I don't post there as often as I used to. Don't know if I'll try any new forums or not at this point.
I forget what AW (URL or exact name) is as I haven't visited since I started exclusively self-publishing back in 2012. Can you refresh my memory? :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The writers pub, my own forum, that I started four years ago. Small, friendly with a members only part so passers by can't see the posts.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
KevinH said:
While it may be premature to post about the demise of Kboards (even if it's only the Writer's Cafe), there are enough people talking about leaving that it's pretty clear that this place won't be quite the same. With the in mind, I was curious about where folks will migrate to in terms of writing forums/communities.

So, for those who are comfortable doing so, please share where you expect to land. (This is a twofold request: it will provide ideas about similar forums that might be worth checking out, and will let me, personally, know how to find people whose knowledge/experience I've found to be particularly poignant. :D) And if you're staying, feel free to state that as well. Thanks.
I've been on a few other forums for a couple of years already and have a couple of FB groups I hang out in. I have been on Kboards since 2010 and it really stinks that this is happening. I'm not thrilled about the change in TOS, but what concerns me the most is the track record of the company that bought this forum. I see the demise of kboards but it won't come via a shutdown, it'll come as people are fed up with the ads (that explains the popup I had the other day requesting me to disable my popup blocker for this site. Never had that request before! Not gonna do it either.)

I had already been coming here less and less, but I did come here when, say, my dashboard was down, to see if others were having the same experience. I can just go to my other places for that stuff.

·
Registered
822 Posts
CathleenT said:
Not to start another ship show (the poor mods have enough to do today), but you might want to google

"absolute write" site:kboards.com

just like that. Copy and paste that line into the google search box.

Absolute Write is... well. You can check for yourself. Good luck! See you in the cloud.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kathy Dee said:
Tim is actively soliciting member feedback and acting on it. I just witnessed a suggestion being implemented in a matter of minutes. He's edited the TOS several times to make it acceptable to members, and is probably still working on it. I've been scouring SMF modules trying to find something that makes it easy to show activity in all sub-forums and Tim is ready to implement it as soon as we find one.

There's still a long way to go to get it working efficiently and giving members what they want, but it's looking good.

There's no advertising. It's on a private site, so it's not encumbered by the TOS and advertising from proboards or other such sites.

There are both public areas, to attract new members, and private areas, so writers can speak more freely. There are areas, such as erotica, where members have to affirmatively join.

Lots of people from here are moving there and adding content to jump start it. Some are holding back content until it's all up and running smoothly with SSL.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I'm all over social media like a cheap suit. I'll probably look in on Tim's site in due course, but I have a few deadlines etc right now, so I envisage a lengthy forum break.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts