Kindle Forum banner

Tell us something about your reading--of In Her Name in particular and of Science Fiction or Fantasy

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,668 Posts
sashimi is raw, very fresh fish.. usually tuna. . .kind of sushi without the rice and seaweed and junk

steak tartare also has to be very fresh and tender. . .like filet mignon cut. . . .

then there's lomi lomi salmon. . .which is raw salmon with  chopped tomato, garlic, cilantro, etc.  The acid of the tomato 'cooks' the salmon.  Again, the key is freshness!

Ann

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ceviche--

similar idea to Ann's; generally a white fleshed fish of some kind with lemon or lime juice to marinate.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche

Ceviche is marinated in a citrus-based mixture, with lemons and limes being the most commonly used. In addition to adding flavor, the citric acid causes the proteins in the seafood to become denatured, which pickles or "cooks" the fish without heat. Traditional style ceviche was marinated up to 3 hours. Modern style ceviche usually has a very short marinating period. With the appropriate fish, it can marinate in the time it takes to mix the ingredients, serve, and carry the ceviche to the table.

I've had it, though not in years, and it was very good. Hmmm. have to try some again.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
kreelanwarrior said:
Hmm, I think I'm gonna have to wing that one: unlike Outlander, where there is yummy fare like haggis, the Kreelan Empire isn't known for its culinary treasures (mostly semi-raw meat!). But I'll see what I can come up with that mere humans such as ourselves might enjoy! ;D
Although I will say in Outlander we're not eating haggis (I saw Mel Gibson eat haggis on I think the Tonight Show when he was promoting Braveheart, out of a can--bleah!) but sugar free muffins. I'll take crabcakes since you're in Annapolis!

Betsy

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Although I will say in Outlander we're not eating haggis (I saw Mel Gibson eat haggis on I think the Tonight Show when he was promoting Braveheart, out of a can--bleah!) but sugar free muffins. I'll take crabcakes since you're in Annapolis!

Betsy
OMG - canned haggis?? Ugh!

On the other hand, even Kreelans would enjoy crabcakes!

·
Registered
25 Posts
buddyswife said:
I've never joined in on a book klub before but i love talking about the books i read .. hopefully i can join in on this one if my Kindle gets here Friday as planned ..

if not i will have to run out and get the book if thats ok? ???
My kindle arrived Wednesday .. 2 days before it was due to come in!!! I been away from the board getting used to my kindle and getting as many free books as i can lol .. i also bought alot .. too many .. i did also buy the book "In Her Name" I sooo can't wait till tomorrow now that i know i will beable to participate

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
I never did a book club before the Outlander one (which I've been shamelessly slacking in - Gertie's gonna give me a kilt wedgie!), but they're lots of fun!
Which is lots of fun; the book klub or the kilt wedgie? :D

Sheesh, Mike, you're going to tarnish my sweet, little old lady image.

·
Premium Member
63,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
gertiekindle said:
Which is lots of fun; the book klub or the kilt wedgie? :D

Sheesh, Mike, you're going to tarnish my sweet, little old lady image.

Uh-oh, everyone look out, Gertie's taking the gloves off!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
then there's lomi lomi salmon. . .which is raw salmon with chopped tomato, garlic, cilantro, etc. The acid of the tomato 'cooks' the salmon. Again, the key is freshness!
OMG! No one told me there was going to be lomi lomi! :eek: Count me in. Who is going to bring the sweet potato salad? :D

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Sweet potato salad? I never knew there was such a thing, but it sounds good! ;D
Oh yeah! I fell in love with it while on vacation in Hawaii last year. The sweet potato salad there has the purple sweet potatoes that you can not get on the mainland so I had to adapt the recipe.

2 - 3 good size "yams", which are really sweet potatoes. You can also use the regular sweet potatoes if you can not find yams, it is just not as pretty.
1 small (or about a 5" hunk) sweet carrot
1/4 medium sweet white onion
5-6 small gherkins
Mayonnaise
Old Bay Seasoning
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper

The trick is to get all ingredients cut into bite size pieces.
You are going to boil the sweet potatoes so take a medium sauce pan and put enough water to just cover the sweet potatoes and set to boil, meanwhile cube the sweet potato into pieces no larger than 1", put into boiling water and boil for 5 minutes then check. Important- these will cook very quickly so check after 5 minutes. They should be fork tender but not mushy. When done, take off heat and immediately run under cold water to stop cooking. Drain and place into large bowl.

Cut carrot julienne style into 1" or less pieces- I prefer julienne because it eats better and looks pretty.
Cut onion quite fine. You don't want to bite into a chunk, you just want the flavor. Can use grater in a pinch.
Cut gherkin into little rounds.

Add all carrots, onion to taste and all gherkins to the sweet potatoes.

Add enough mayonnaise to cover all ingredients and Old Bay Seasoning to taste, then salt and pepper to taste.

It is good to go now, but even better if put in the fridge for a couple of hours, and even better the second day!

;D ;D

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.