Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN HER NAME: FIRST CONTACT

Led by Commander Owen McClaren, the TNS Aurora is embarked on an extended survey mission, searching for new worlds that could support human life. Drawn to an uncharted star system by the discovery of potentially habitable planets, the crew of the Aurora discovers something entirely unexpected: the planets are already inhabited, but not by humans. Approached by gigantic alien starships, Aurora's crew makes ready for humanity's very first contact with another sentient race.

But nothing could prepare them for what fate has in store. For they have entered the domain of the Kreelan Empire, which has waited thousands of years to find another spacefaring race against which to wage war to honor their Empress. With all but one of the crew killed in bloody close combat, the aliens send Aurora home bearing the sole survivor: the Messenger, a young crewman who carries with him an alien artifact that is humanity's only sign of how much time remains until they are plunged into an interstellar war...

4.5 out of 5 stars and 385 5-star reviews on Amazon as of January 21st, 2015

What Readers Are Saying:

-- "This is one of those unexpected finds. I have only read the 'prequel', didn't know the author and took at punt. I read the damned thing in a day."

-- "In many science fiction books the story gets lost in the made up technical babble and supposedly dangerous situations that never really feel dangerous because you know the author would never kill a main character. This does not happen with this book."

-- "This has been one of the most thought provoking stories for me in some time. This book easily stands on its own without the need for the other four stories; however, I would have been most disappointed if there had not been other stories after this."

-- "Once again, Mr. Hicks has created a rich and compelling fantasy universe. The villains of the piece are vicious and bloodthirsty, but are completely loyal to their own code of honor. For that, you may find a grudging respect."

-- "Once you start reading this book, it *is* very difficult to put it down."

About The Book

-- $3.99 FREE
-- 392 pages
-- Published August 29, 2009

Purchase Links:

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Great news! We'll wait anxiously but impatiently to be able to read it! :)

Are you done yet?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
So. . . Mike. . . . you need anyone to 'proof' your manuscript as you write? (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more)

Ann

:D
Well, actually, that would be kinda nice. Remember we had kicked around an idea like "Write with the Author" or some such on one of the IHN book club threads? I'm not sure how good an experience it would be for readers, but it would certainly help motivate me to write consistently - and hopefully keep me from making terrible detours like I did with In Her Name, where I totally rewrote the second half of the book! D'oh!

Any loony volunteers? ;D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Woohoo! I'm only 1/3 done with In Her Name but I already can't wait for more!

P.S. I have copy editing experience... but... don't want spoilers! Lol!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Britt said:
Woohoo! I'm only 1/3 done with In Her Name but I already can't wait for more!

P.S. I have copy editing experience... but... don't want spoilers! Lol!
Yay! Glad you're enjoying it! And you were a copy editor, eh? Oh, no! My poor ego! LOL!! ;D Believe me, I'm always happy for any help that'll trim down on the months I spent trying to edit In Her Name by myself. Oy!

·
Registered
599 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Yay! Glad you're enjoying it! And you were a copy editor, eh? Oh, no! My poor ego! LOL!! ;D Believe me, I'm always happy for any help that'll trim down on the months I spent trying to edit In Her Name by myself. Oy!
Lol! I'm pretty busy right now as graduation looms ever nearer, but after that (and once I finish IHN :)) I might be able to help you out. Most of my copy editing experience is in newspapers but I've edited research papers and letters as well.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Any loony volunteers? ;D
I'm a paralegal...I review and edit documents, among other things, for a living. Is that the kind of experience you need? :D

It'd be kinda fun to be involved in getting a book "made"! :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steph H said:
I'm a paralegal...I review and edit documents, among other things, for a living. Is that the kind of experience you need? :D

It'd be kinda fun to be involved in getting a book "made"! :)
Nah, no experience necessary! Just like with the book covers, it sounds like something that might be fun and useful (and probably quite entertaining - LOL!) at the same time. 8)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Well, actually, that would be kinda nice. Remember we had kicked around an idea like "Write with the Author" or some such on one of the IHN book club threads? I'm not sure how good an experience it would be for readers, but it would certainly help motivate me to write consistently - and hopefully keep me from making terrible detours like I did with In Her Name, where I totally rewrote the second half of the book! D'oh!

Any loony volunteers? ;D
;D Got my calculator ready! Where do I sign up?

N :)

1 - 20 of 352 Posts