Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Chapter 11

- This chapter gives us some of the first significant insights into the Kreelan Empress. What were your impressions of her?

What a heavy burden the Empress has to bear. She holds the knowledge of all past Empresses, as well as each of her Kreelan children. First surprise ... she and Tesh Dar are twins. Second surprise ... Esah-Zurah is her daughter.

Chapter 12

- Did you think it was wise for Esah-Zhurah to confide in the old armorer, Pan'ne-Sharakh?

Yes, I always felt Pan'ne-Sharakh could be trusted. She was the first to befriend Reza by showing him how to paint the armor. Esah-Zhurah is struggling to understand her feelings and she needs someone to guide her. I think Pan'ne Sharakh has kept in the background but has observed these two closely.

- What were your thoughts as you read what happened between Esah-Zhurah and Reza at the grotto during their free time before their final Challenge?

It was inevitable. I was a little surprised that EZ shared her blood with Reza. It seemed like that would be a huge violation of the Way, not to mention mating when it was forbidden to her, and then mating with a human/animal.

I was also a little concerned about the talons and the fangs, but I think that was part of the reason she took control. Of course, EZ was always the one in control, and this was no different.

What was not inevitable, but had to happen before EZ could share her blood with Reza, was his complete acceptance of the Way and the Empress. It wasn't just in his mind, but in his heart.

Chapter 13

- Okay, raise your hand if you would've just run like heck from what appears in this chapter! <I have both hands up>

Pretty intense. The battle with the genoth was quite good and, I think, necessary for Reza to learn how the bloodsong affected him. Of course, you killed off Goliath (boo), but he was old and, like Wiley, he died to save Reza.

Chapter 14

- Were you surprised at what Esah-Zhurah asks of Tesh-Dar, in order to give Reza a fair chance in the Challenge? And what did you think of what happened to Esah-Zhurah on the Kalai-Il?

EZ has already showed the lengths to which she will go to save Reza. No, I wasn't really surprised. The beating was brutal (worse than Jamie), and Tesh Dar didn't hold back one whit. That sort of surprised me, but then this is a brutal society. There is no room for sentiment in these warriors.

- We also get a very significant glimpse of the power of the Empress in this chapter after Esah-Zhurah's punishment is given. What did you think of this?

The Empress' power doesn't surprise me at all. She embodies her entire race and all that went before. Did you see the Disney movie Atlantis. Her power sort of reminds me of that.

Chapter 15

- Okay, what did you think of Reza's final Challenge??

I think it really brought home to me the essence of this warrior culture. Reza fought tresh that he had lived and trained with, and some he had trained, and still there was no question it was kill or be killed. He doesn't hesitate. Very much like the gladiators withvone major difference. The gladiators fought and died for entertainment. The Kreelans use the Challenge as part of their training both in the Way and as warriors to serve the Empress.

Chapter 16

- What did you think of the time Reza and Esah-Zhurah spent at the temple of the Desh-Ka?

Took me a bit to understand what happened, timewise. Although it was 25 years, and everything happened to them in real time, time rewound itself so that they appeared as they were when they entered the temple.

I'm guessing that the time they made love in the temple while Tesh Dar slept, EZ became pregnant as part of the fulfillment of the prophecy.

- Were you surprised at what happens at the end of the chapter? And what do you think *did* happen??

I wasn't surprised at what happened to Esah-Zhurah. I figured her hair would turn white, but the crimson talons and green eyes were a surprise. Esah-Zhurah is now the embodiment of Keel-Tath.

Reza was the first the Empress could call her son. Any sons she had would have been taken away from her at birth and placed in that ESPN room with Lazy Boys and a diet of subs, chips and Dr. Pepper. This is a major change in the Way.

- And if you were in Reza's place, what do you think you would have done??

I was surprised. I thought that back in the grotto before EZ shared her blood with him, Reza had let go of his past. His time in the temple of Desh Ka should have burned out those memories and feelings. I think the Ancients transported him back to a human planet, just as they transported him in the arena. I think Reza is going to have a hard time adjusting and an even harder time explaining what happened to him in the last dozen or so years.

If I had that same experience, I might have stayed. I don't think I would have fully known my mind and heart until faced with a battle against humans. It shows that although Reza thinks he has accepted the Way, he truly hasn't.

Thanks for the questions. Very thought provoking. Now I can go back to reading.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
If I had that same experience, I might have stayed. I don't think I would have fully known my mind and heart until faced with a battle against humans. It shows that although Reza thinks he has accepted the Way, he truly hasn't.
Here's another thought. Can Reza, once he returns to be with humans again, fight against the Kreelans? He has absorbed the Kreelan Way; has heard the bloodsong in himself and others. Can he put all that behind him? Maybe so. In the final challenge, he killed his fellow tresh as part of his training.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Anju said:
Gerties answers are so good, don't think i can add anything -
My Dr. Pepper comment was sooooo insightful, wasn't it? ::)

Now if Mike would only stop blaming his fingers for the upsetting parts (faithful ole' Goliath :'() ... I mean, didn't he read his own writing about the synapses and the Command Center? ;D ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Bonus question for the brave: did anybody cry (or at least sniffle) at any point?
I'm about cried out from the last few chapters of Outlander. (sneaky reminder)

I did sniffle a bit when Pen'ne died and I was really upset about Goliath.

Tesh Dar seemed so broken when Reza made his decision to leave. There has always been a connection between those two.

I think the most emotional moment for me was when Esah-Zhurah cut Reza's braid and his bloodsong was silenced.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I felt the same way. . . .there was a sense of disorientation as I started chapter 17. . . .moving on now. . . :) it's good the book Klub threads stay because I'm way behind. . . .

Ann
I felt that way, too. Reza must have felt even worse than we do.

As I got further in, I would say to myself, why is this happening, what's it got to do with anything, can't we get back to the Kreelans? Each time that happened, it wouldn't be long before it all made sense.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Thanks for posting, Britt. It was a good opportunity to revisit this part of the book.

Britt said:
I know I'm far behind, but I thought I'd pipe in anyway!

- This chapter gives us some of the first significant insights into the Kreelan Empress. What were your impressions of her?
She seems like she has a lot of burdens to bear, with the knowledge of thousands of generations of Empresses past, but she seems to accept her role with dignity and grace. She doesn't let the power go to her head and seems to value her sister's input greatly.
I like your analysis of the Empress.

- We also get a very significant glimpse of the power of the Empress in this chapter after Esah-Zhurah's punishment is given. What did you think of this?
I was surprised, actually. I knew the Empress must have great power but I assumed Time and Death were beyond even her power. I was wrong. :D
Keep that thought. ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Yeah, that's like when one of our boys said one time, "It'd be so cool if there were real dinosaurs!" I said, "No it wouldn't. Guess what they'd eat?"
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titlandus ... Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Why?

Because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.