Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Okay.... I just finished chapter 16 and I'm totally drained!  I am WAY more "invested" in this than I realized.  First I was upset with Reza for being able to leave his loyalty to humans behind (I thought)..... now I'm reeling because he can't.  Chapter 16 about tore me in half and I wasn't sure what I wanted him to do.... and yet the decision he made - walking away from what he had struggled so long to gain (and then some).... left me cheering for him and crying at the price he was paying.... along with with the Empress, TD and EZ. It made me feel like he's experiencing a "death" (and me along with him... thanks, Mike!  :'(  ) because the man he has become has decided to "die" to everything he has come to love and honor.... in order to not bring death to those of his heritage.  It's a self-sacrifice.... he cares more for the lives of other humans - that he doesn't even know - than he does for what his own life is and sharing it with those he's come to love.
     I totally agree with Gertie that the scene when he loses his bloodsong was the hardest for me to take.
     I've been doing really well with sticking close to our reading schedule but that's going out the window for the rest of this week-end.  I have to read more immediately!  Supper will have to be leftovers - I have no time to cook.  For some strange reason, I have a major craving for Dr. Pepper......  ::)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
While I am looking forward to reading more, I realize now that I have not yet jumped into Book II b/c there is a part of me that is not quite ready to leave the Kreelan world behind.  I don't know that Book II will go back to the humans or Reza finding his way there or what, but I'm sort of reluctant move out of the realm of Reza in Kreelan-world.

N :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
Okay.... I just finished chapter 16 and I'm totally drained! I am WAY more "invested" in this than I realized. First I was upset with Reza for being able to leave his loyalty to humans behind (I thought)..... now I'm reeling because he can't. Chapter 16 about tore me in half and I wasn't sure what I wanted him to do.... and yet the decision he made - walking away from what he had struggled so long to gain (and then some).... left me cheering for him and crying at the price he was paying.... along with with the Empress, TD and EZ. It made me feel like he's experiencing a "death" (and me along with him... thanks, Mike! :'( ) because the man he has become has decided to "die" to everything he has come to love and honor.... in order to not bring death to those of his heritage. It's a self-sacrifice.... he cares more for the lives of other humans - that he doesn't even know - than he does for what his own life is and sharing it with those he's come to love.
I totally agree with Gertie that the scene when he loses his bloodsong was the hardest for me to take.
I've been doing really well with sticking close to our reading schedule but that's going out the window for the rest of this week-end. I have to read more immediately! Supper will have to be leftovers - I have no time to cook. For some strange reason, I have a major craving for Dr. Pepper...... ::)
Yes, he definitely has a difficult path to walk. Keep your seatbelt cinched tight, though - you fell down the rabbit hole when Reza was taken to the Empire, and you're about to fall down a different one with the next chapter...! <evil grin>

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Neekeebee said:
While I am looking forward to reading more, I realize now that I have not yet jumped into Book II b/c there is a part of me that is not quite ready to leave the Kreelan world behind. I don't know that Book II will go back to the humans or Reza finding his way there or what, but I'm sort of reluctant move out of the realm of Reza in Kreelan-world.

Tiny spoler:
you'll be leaving the Empire behind...for now!

·
Super Moderator
67,703 Posts
I'm barely skimming the posts because I'm behind in my reading. . . .gotta go to work some, ya know. . .but I have finished through Chapter 14 where EZ is whipped. . . .excellent writing Mike. . .I may have to purchase a paper copy to give to my son as I think he'd really enjoy it. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
I'm barely skimming the posts because I'm behind in my reading. . . .gotta go to work some, ya know. . .but I have finished through Chapter 14 where EZ is whipped. . . .excellent writing Mike. . .I may have to purchase a paper copy to give to my son as I think he'd really enjoy it. . . .

Ann
Ann - glad you're enjoying it and doing some catching up! Yeah, that whole work thing is really a pain in the butt, isn't it?? :(

And that'd be cool if your son would enjoy it, too - the more, the merrier! LOL!! ;D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi All,

Ok I've made it to chapt 23. With just a few issues, i'm really enjoying the book.

I feel so bad for Reza. What a very hard decision to make. I think no matter which way he chose would be very hard. Talk about between a rock and a hard place!!  :eek:

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
bkworm8it said:
Hi All,

Ok I've made it to chapt 23. With just a few issues, i'm really enjoying the book.
Well, if they're mechanical things that can be corrected (or even if something else), feel free to let me know by PM or whatever - constructive feedback is *always* welcome! ;D

I feel so bad for Reza. What a very hard decision to make. I think no matter which way he chose would be very hard. Talk about between a rock and a hard place!! :eek:
theresam
Yeah, the transition from chapter 16 to 17 and what comes after isn't easy... D'oh!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Chapter 11

- This chapter gives us some of the first significant insights into the Kreelan Empress. What were your impressions of her?
Honorable, all-knowing, specializing in tough love ;)

Chapter 12

- Did you think it was wise for Esah-Zhurah to confide in the old armorer, Pan'ne-Sharakh?
Yes. Pan'ne-Sharakh had proved to be caring in the past, someone who sees beyond what has always been. She has also been around long enough to have seen and experienced many things.

- What were your thoughts as you read what happened between Esah-Zhurah and Reza at the grotto during their free time before their final Challenge?
It's about time! Hmm....I think I said the same thing about Jamie and Claire! LOL.

Chapter 13

- Okay, raise your hand if you would've just run like heck from what appears in this chapter! <I have both hands up>
Oh yeah! But I've never claimed to be a warrior. ;)

Chapter 14

- Were you surprised at what Esah-Zhurah asks of Tesh-Dar, in order to give Reza a fair chance in the Challenge? And what did you think of what happened to Esah-Zhurah on the Kalai-Il?
No, this is what their relationship is - taking care of each other completely.

- We also get a very significant glimpse of the power of the Empress in this chapter after Esah-Zhurah's punishment is given. What did you think of this?
Cool stuff!

Chapter 15

- Okay, what did you think of Reza's final Challenge??
Not exactly fair, but it had to extreme in order for him to totally prove himself.

Chapter 16

- What did you think of the time Reza and Esah-Zhurah spent at the temple of the Desh-Ka?
I'd like to have more information on just what happened here. But it's no wonder it was so painful, considering all of the changes that happened to their bodies.

- Were you surprised at what happens at the end of the chapter? And what do you think *did* happen??
Not really. There had been enough hints prior that Esah-Zhurah at least was going to have a major role in the future of the Empire, and Reza must fit in there somewhere.

- And if you were in Reza's place, what do you think you would have done??
I don't think I could have done it, or, at least, it would have taken me longer to reach the conclusion that I really had to do it.

Next! :D

·
Super Moderator
67,703 Posts
Neekeebee said:
While I am looking forward to reading more, I realize now that I have not yet jumped into Book II b/c there is a part of me that is not quite ready to leave the Kreelan world behind. I don't know that Book II will go back to the humans or Reza finding his way there or what, but I'm sort of reluctant move out of the realm of Reza in Kreelan-world.

I felt the same way. . . .there was a sense of disorientation as I started chapter 17. . . .moving on now. . . :) it's good the book Klub threads stay because I'm way behind. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
I felt the same way. . . .there was a sense of disorientation as I started chapter 17. . . .moving on now. . . :) it's good the book Klub threads stay because I'm way behind. . . .

Ann
Ann -

Hey, good to see ya! ;D And no worries about being "behind" - that's the beauty of a virtual book club like this: anybody can join in at any time!

Yes, chapter 17 - the start of book 2 - is disorienting, because it looks at the story from a completely different perspective than the end of book 1. Once again, Reza is a stranger in a strange land...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:

Ann
I felt that way, too. Reza must have felt even worse than we do.

As I got further in, I would say to myself, why is this happening, what's it got to do with anything, can't we get back to the Kreelans? Each time that happened, it wouldn't be long before it all made sense.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I was right there with you all. I actually didn't read the book for a few days because I couldn't stand that Reza  was leaving.  Not long after getting into part II and all that was going on got me interested again but didn't stop hopping that anytime soon that Reza will get back to his Esah-Zhurah.

Theresam

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know I'm far behind, but I thought I'd pipe in anyway!

- This chapter gives us some of the first significant insights into the Kreelan Empress. What were your impressions of her?
She seems like she has a lot of burdens to bear, with the knowledge of thousands of generations of Empresses past, but she seems to accept her role with dignity and grace. She doesn't let the power go to her head and seems to value her sister's input greatly.

- Did you think it was wise for Esah-Zhurah to confide in the old armorer, Pan'ne-Sharakh?
I think so. I mean, what could she do, tattle to the Empress? ;D I suppose she could have, but she saw promise in Reza back when others still called him "animal." I felt that she would be sympathetic (as much as a Kreelan can be) toward Esah-Zhurah's and Reza's predicament. She also has the knowledge of age, so it seems natural that she would be able to offer advice or help in some way.

- What were your thoughts as you read what happened between Esah-Zhurah and Reza at the grotto during their free time before their final Challenge?
The scene with the ritual (and its aftermath ;)) was very powerful and emotional!

- Okay, raise your hand if you would've just run like heck from what appears in this chapter! <I have both hands up>
Oh, yeah. I don't think I could take on a genoth (or that I would have the guts -no pun intended!- to pry out its eyestones).

- Were you surprised at what Esah-Zhurah asks of Tesh-Dar, in order to give Reza a fair chance in the Challenge? And what did you think of what happened to Esah-Zhurah on the Kalai-Il?
Not at all. It's clear that they would do anything for each other, including risking death. They have done it before and they would do it again. The irrational side of me was hoping that the Priestess would go easy on her, but the rational side of me knew it wouldn't be possible. Especially with the peers watching... she has a rep to protect, after all. 8)

- We also get a very significant glimpse of the power of the Empress in this chapter after Esah-Zhurah's punishment is given. What did you think of this?
I was surprised, actually. I knew the Empress must have great power but I assumed Time and Death were beyond even her power. I was wrong. :D

To me, his disappearance seemed a little unfair, but I did not think that the Kreelans would see it that way. The Ancient Ones wanted Reza to win, and I doubt any Kreelan would even think to go against Their wishes.

- What did you think of the time Reza and Esah-Zhurah spent at the temple of the Desh-Ka?
It totally reminded me of Narnia! The kids go into the wardrobe, months pass, they come back and it's only been like five minutes in real time. Lol! I figured Esah-Zhurah would emerge with white hair and ebony talons, but the green eyes and crimson talons (Christmas Kreelan? LOL) were definitely a surprise, since I don't think it was mentioned before that the Keel-Tath was the only one who ever had red talons.

- Were you surprised at what happens at the end of the chapter? And what do you think *did* happen??
I am very upset with Reza right now! Honor, schmonor, what about everything Esah-Zhurah has done for him? She's risked her life and her honor to help him survive, and he's worked so hard to get where he is--freakin' priest of the Desh-Ka!--and he's going to throw it all away for a life he barely remembers? And what about the Prophecy? Maybe there's a hidden part that says something like this is supposed to happen? I understand that he must feel conflicted and obviously isn't taking the decision lightly, but still! Grr! And if I were Esah-Zhurah, I would feel so betrayed. I am happy that the Kreelans still look upon him with honor, though. That would be horrible if he changed his mind and had to earn their respect all over again! Since he disappeared like he did in the Final Challenge, I guess the Ancient Ones took him somewhere to be among humans.

I would have stayed. I love someone as much as Esah-Zhurah and Reza love each other, and I can't imagine my life on any planet without him :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Thanks for posting, Britt. It was a good opportunity to revisit this part of the book.

Britt said:

She seems like she has a lot of burdens to bear, with the knowledge of thousands of generations of Empresses past, but she seems to accept her role with dignity and grace. She doesn't let the power go to her head and seems to value her sister's input greatly.
I like your analysis of the Empress.

I was surprised, actually. I knew the Empress must have great power but I assumed Time and Death were beyond even her power. I was wrong. :D
Keep that thought. ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Britt said:
Hey, Britt! Glad you dropped by! ;D

Yeah, it's impossible, I think, to appreciate the load she bears. But then again, the Kreelan race is far, far older than ours...

I think so. I mean, what could she do, tattle to the Empress? ;D I suppose she could have, but she saw promise in Reza back when others still called him "animal." I felt that she would be sympathetic (as much as a Kreelan can be) toward Esah-Zhurah's and Reza's predicament. She also has the knowledge of age, so it seems natural that she would be able to offer advice or help in some way.
Yeah, it's not like any of the Empress's children can exactly do a parental appeal type of thing! D'oh! But I think better than any of the others, Pan'ne-Sharakh was able to get past the otherwise very xenophobic nature of her species.

The scene with the ritual (and its aftermath ;)) was very powerful and emotional!
;D

Oh, yeah. I don't think I could take on a genoth (or that I would have the guts -no pun intended!- to pry out its eyestones).
Yeah, that's like when one of our boys said one time, "It'd be so cool if there were real dinosaurs!" I said, "No it wouldn't. Guess what they'd eat?"

Not at all. It's clear that they would do anything for each other, including risking death. They have done it before and they would do it again. The irrational side of me was hoping that the Priestess would go easy on her, but the rational side of me knew it wouldn't be possible. Especially with the peers watching... she has a rep to protect, after all. 8)
Yeah, I can't imagine how much that would've hurt. Ow!

Oh, just you wait... ;D

To me, his disappearance seemed a little unfair, but I did not think that the Kreelans would see it that way. The Ancient Ones wanted Reza to win, and I doubt any Kreelan would even think to go against Their wishes.
It was unfair in a way. But you also have to remember that he only started his training in his early teens, while his competitors had been training virtually since birth. So he needed a little help...and it won't be the last time as you read on...

It totally reminded me of Narnia! The kids go into the wardrobe, months pass, they come back and it's only been like five minutes in real time. Lol! I figured Esah-Zhurah would emerge with white hair and ebony talons, but the green eyes and crimson talons (Christmas Kreelan? LOL) were definitely a surprise, since I don't think it was mentioned before that the Keel-Tath was the only one who ever had red talons.
Ha! I never even thought of that, but you're right: the wardrobe!! It's funny, because I had never read any of the Chronicles of Narnia until years after I'd written IHN!

I am very upset with Reza right now! Honor, schmonor, what about everything Esah-Zhurah has done for him? She's risked her life and her honor to help him survive, and he's worked so hard to get where he is--freakin' priest of the Desh-Ka!--and he's going to throw it all away for a life he barely remembers? And what about the Prophecy? Maybe there's a hidden part that says something like this is supposed to happen? I understand that he must feel conflicted and obviously isn't taking the decision lightly, but still! Grr! And if I were Esah-Zhurah, I would feel so betrayed. I am happy that the Kreelans still look upon him with honor, though. That would be horrible if he changed his mind and had to earn their respect all over again! Since he disappeared like he did in the Final Challenge, I guess the Ancient Ones took him somewhere to be among humans.
Well, I think it all boils down to being true to oneself. I think it's simply part of his inner character, and he simply couldn't reconcile that with his Kreelan sense of honor. As you'll soon see, it was not a sacrifice he made lightly.

And what happened to him was from the power of the Empress. She has lots of tricks up her sleeve (robe?)... ;D

I would have stayed. I love someone as much as Esah-Zhurah and Reza love each other, and I can't imagine my life on any planet without him :)
Awwww... ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Interesting... can't wait to read on!  ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Yeah, that's like when one of our boys said one time, "It'd be so cool if there were real dinosaurs!" I said, "No it wouldn't. Guess what they'd eat?"
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titlandus ... Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Why?

Because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. ;D

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.