Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, peeps! Here are the questions (courtesy of Jan) for this week. Enjoy! ;D

Chapter 17

What are your first impressions of Jodi? Father Hernandez?

Were you surprised at the way Reza first approached Jodi? Why do you think he singled her out over all of the others in Rutan at the time?

Now that we know why the Kreelans prefer hand-to-hand combat, do you find it surprising that the humans who have been fighting them for so long have never figured it out? Were you surprised at the way Reza fought and killed all of the Kreelans on Rutan?

Chapter 18

Were you surprised to learn that the Confederation was considering a "deep scan" of Reza that would have left him a vegetable? What would you have done with Reza at this point?

Chapter 19

Did you find it rather ironic that the villagers who were so against bloodshed were getting worked up enough to rush out of the town and take on the Marines who had protected them, just to get to Reza?

Which side would you have been on in Rutan, fighting with the Marines to try to defeat the Kreelans, or remaining the village, standing fast in your belief that war and bloodshed are not the answer?

Do you see any similarity between Father Hernandez' doubt in Reza's beliefs and the Empress' and Tesh-Dar's "experiment" to see whether humans had souls?

Why is it so hard for Jodi and Father Hernandez to believe that Reza is homesick for the place he lived for so many years?

Chapter 20

What do you think your first impression of Reza would have been, if you were Commodore Sinclaire?

What were your first thoughts when you realized that Nicole was Jodi's commander and the person that she loved?

Did you have any thoughts/ideas on what might happen when Reza and Nicole see each other again for the first time?

Chapter 22

What do you think of Reza's re-introduction into human civilization so far? Do you think he's being treated well, considering where he came from? What would you have done differently, if anything?

Chapter 23

Okay, who cheered when Reza knocked Thorella off the bridge?

Do you think the Ancient Ones are still watching over Reza? Do you think they have always been, and perhaps that's what Tesh Dar sensed in him?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Chapter 17

Jodi is a fighter and maybe a reluctant leader. She will always do her job.

I thought that Father Hernandez might be the kind of priest who would happily join in the Inquisition. He seems to be pretty superstitious, but I think that's common among priests who live in isolated areas. They tend to be as insular and superstitious as their parishioners.

Were you surprised at the way Reza first approached Jodi? Why do you think he singled her out over all of the others in Rutan at the time?

First, she was alone. Second, she's a woman and a warrior, and Reza has grown up in an all-female warrior society. He would certainly feel most comfortable with her.

Now that we know why the Kreelans prefer hand-to-hand combat, do you find it surprising that the humans who have been fighting them for so long have never figured it out? Were you surprised at the way Reza fought and killed all of the Kreelans on Rutan?

Reza certainly surprised me. He knew the Kreelan leader and she knew him. On the other hand, it's how he was trained as were the Kreelans. Reza was somewhat dwarfed against the Kreelans. I got a better sense of who he was and his size and strength when compared with the humans. Of course, a lot of that came about with the "change." Gee, that didn't happen to me when I went through the "change." :D

Chapter 18

Were you surprised to learn that the Confederation was considering a "deep scan" of Reza that would have left him a vegetable? What would you have done with Reza at this point?

Not surprised at all. Reza is the only link they have with the Kreelans and his knowledge would be invaluable to the Confederation. Well, as a reader, I wouldn't have sent Reza to become one with the broccoli. As a Confederation official, I probably would have voted for the deep scan.

Chapter 19

Did you find it rather ironic that the villagers who were so against bloodshed were getting worked up enough to rush out of the town and take on the Marines who had protected them, just to get to Reza?

Yes, that really puzzled me. Then I thought it was rather like the villagers going after the Frankenstein monster with pitchforks and torches. Plus they were incited by Father Hernandez. That's what I meant about him being an Inquisition type.

Which side would you have been on in Rutan, fighting with the Marines to try to defeat the Kreelans, or remaining the village, standing fast in your belief that war and bloodshed are not the answer?

I would have been fighting with the Marines ... from behind a very solid wall with a pulse rifle.

Do you see any similarity between Father Hernandez' doubt in Reza's beliefs and the Empress' and Tesh-Dar's "experiment" to see whether humans had souls?

Both of them want to convert Reza to their way of thinking, or rather "being."

Why is it so hard for Jodi and Father Hernandez to believe that Reza is homesick for the place he lived for so many years?

They are humans and have never lived any other way. They don't understand Reza's transformation. They don't know exactly what he went through. And they certainly don't know what happened in the Desh-Ka Temple.

Chapter 20

What do you think your first impression of Reza would have been, if you were Commodore Sinclaire?

Was this guy raised by wolves?

What were your first thoughts when you realized that Nicole was Jodi's commander and the person that she loved?

Nicole had to crop up sometime, but I didn't realize it would be so soon. Jodi's relationship with Nicole is another connection with Reza.

Did you have any thoughts/ideas on what might happen when Reza and Nicole see each other again for the first time?

I'm sure Nicole thought they would pick up where they left off and that Reza would be happy and relieved to be back with the humans. Unfortunately for her, Reza's connection to Esah-Zhurah goes deeper than anything she could imagine.

Chapter 22

What do you think of Reza's re-introduction into human civilization so far? Do you think he's being treated well, considering where he came from? What would you have done differently, if anything?

Yes, I think he's treated very well, in general. It's natural for there to be a lot of suspicion. Reza has a lot of proving to do to the Confederation and his fellow trainees. It's not unlike what he went through with the Kreelans. No, I don't think I would have done anything differently.

Chapter 23

Hah! I was just waiting for it. I would think the trainees would receive a lot more instruction in handling the stick before facing Thorella on the bridge.

Do you think the Ancient Ones are still watching over Reza? Do you think they have always been, and perhaps that's what Tesh Dar sensed in him?

I agree completely with this. It explains a lot.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
IN HER NAME: Week of 2/22 - Reading & discussing chapters 17 - 23
« on: Yesterday at 04:17:27 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, peeps! Here are the questions (courtesy of Jan) for this week. Enjoy!

Chapter 17

I liked them both. Jodi new when to let things roll off her back and when to say something and took things in stride. I thought Father Hernandez was forthright with a heart for God's people.

Were you surprised at the way Reza first approached Jodi? Why do you think he singled her out over all of the others in Rutan at the time?He had been surrounded by only women for so long it's only natural that he would reach out to a female and he could tell that she would be open to the contact.

Now that we know why the Kreelans prefer hand-to-hand combat, do you find it surprising that the humans who have been fighting them for so long have never figured it out? Were you surprised at the way Reza fought and killed all of the Kreelans on Rutan?One would have thought they would have put some pieces together after a 100 years of fighting them. But guess no one really had time to connect all the dots and or in a position to get others to listen. No I was not supprised that Reza defended Rutan. He had pretty much stated to the Empress that he would fight with his 'other' people and protect them.

Chapter 18

Were you surprised to learn that the Confederation was considering a "deep scan" of Reza that would have left him a vegetable? What would you have done with Reza at this point? No I'm not surprised but I would have been for trying to find a way to communicate and who knew if the deep scan would work on someone of his nature or if anyone would have been able to make any since of what they saw. He didn't try to kill humans and he did defend Rutan so he was not a radical/enemy that was a threat but could be a help.

Chapter 19

Did you find it rather ironic that the villagers who were so against bloodshed were getting worked up enough to rush out of the town and take on the Marines who had protected them, just to get to Reza? This seemed kinda of out of character for the Father at least to me. He seemed the type that would have investigated before making snap decisions. I can see where Gertie says that being so cloistered and not really having much contact with the outside world would cause them to be superstitious but then not just Priest or their flock or that way. I have met many non Christians that hold more silly superstitions so I think its a universal thing and not jut those who practice Christianity. However, I would have wondered what Reza was since he looked like a man but with the strength and powers he seemed to have had.

Which side would you have been on in Rutan, fighting with the Marines to try to defeat the Kreelans, or remaining the village, standing fast in your belief that war and bloodshed are not the answer?With the Marines. I would have been curious

Why is it so hard for Jodi and Father Hernandez to believe that Reza is homesick for the place he lived for so many years?They could not understand how a place that caused him pain would make him homesick. After looking at his back and the other scars they probably assumed he was happy to be 'home' not realizing all that had transpired.

Chapter 20

What do you think your first impression of Reza would have been, if you were Commodore Sinclaire?An intelligent man who was able to size up people quickly and powerful.

What were your first thoughts when you realized that Nicole was Jodi's commander and the person that she loved?Uhh ohh there's going to be some hurt feelings

Did you have any thoughts/ideas on what might happen when Reza and Nicole see each other again for the first time?I wasn't sure if he would remember her.

Chapter 22

What do you think of Reza's reintroduction into human civilization so far? Do you think he's being treated well, considering where he came from? What would you have done differently, if anything?

Chapter 23

Okay, who cheered when Reza knocked Thorella off the bridge?I did, it was about time that man got knocked off his pedestal.

Do you think the Ancient Ones are still watching over Reza? Do you think they have always been, and perhaps that's what Tesh Dar sensed in him? I don't think she sensed him but the ancient ones were watching.

Honest moment.... finished the book at 5am this morning. Thank goodness I don't have a job (ok well not really but at least I didn't have to get up to early and now I have a head ach from only 3 hours of sleep :eek:) I just kept thinking the book is almost done then after book 3 started I had to finish :eek: ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
bkworm8it said:

No I'm not surprised but I would have been for trying to find a way to communicate and who knew if the deep scan would work on someone of his nature or if anyone would have been able to make any since of what they saw. He didn't try to kill humans and he did defend Rutan so he was not a radical/enemy that was a threat but could be a help.
Good point. Reza might very well have been able to resist the scan, and even if they were able to penetrate his mind, they would probably have encountered Kreelan and not English.

This seemed kinda of out of character for the Father at least to me. He seemed the type that would have investigated before making snap decisions. I can see where Gertie says that being so cloistered and not really having much contact with the outside world would cause them to be superstitious but then not just Priest or their flock or that way. I have met many non Christians that hold more silly superstitions so I think its a universal thing and not jut those who practice Christianity. However, I would have wondered what Reza was since he looked like a man but with the strength and powers he seemed to have had.
I didn't mean that it was only Christians. Could be the mayor or village headman or any other leader. People who keep themselves isolated like the Rutans, don't allow themselves to be open-minded.

Okay, who cheered when Reza knocked Thorella off the bridge?I did, it was about time that man got knocked off his pedestal.
Can I give another YAY!?!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Good point. Reza might very well have been able to resist the scan, and even if they were able to penetrate his mind, they would probably have encountered Kreelan and not English.

I didn't mean that it was only Christians. Could be the mayor or village headman or any other leader. People who keep themselves isolated like the Rutans, don't allow themselves to be open-minded.
Oh no Gertie I wasn't saying that you meant that. I was saying you had a good point about them being cloistered. I was more commenting on the fact that it seemed incongruous that Father Hernandez would jump to that conclusion without any information especially since he/they were not that way about the kreelans. Am I making any since here? Pardon me if not I've had 3 hours of sleep finishing someone's book!

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bkworm8it said:
Oh no Gertie I wasn't saying that you meant that. I was saying you had a good point about them being cloistered. I was more commenting on the fact that it seemed incongruous that Father Hernandez would jump to that conclusion without any information especially since he/they were not that way about the kreelans. Am I making any since here? Pardon me if not I've had 3 hours of sleep finishing someone's book!

theresam
Well, I think Hernandez was victimized by his own preconceptions: I think he was expecting "an angel" in some form or other; essentially a warrior of light, if you will. The last thing he expected to see was a human clad in alien armor who obviously had what - to the humans - were clearly supernatural powers.

I think his reaction to that was a play on my own consternation at how often people - particularly those who live in intellectual isolation, as they did on Rutan - look at someone who has knowledge or power beyond their immediate understanding and so often seize upon it as being "bad." A good example that I happened to see recently was the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta. I think that's the intellectual pit that Hernandez fell into. But at least he had the moral courage to drag himself back out... ;D

And Theresa, you are a NUT for staying up all night reading this thing! Well, I assume you didn't hate it (people don't usually stay up late to get themselves irritated - LOL!)... ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
bkworm8it said:

theresam
Yes, you are making sense. Father Hernandez kind of perplexes me, too. Since you finished the book (and I'm reading ahead),
I found it surprising that he didn't have more contact with Reza. I thought he might end up being a thorn in Reza's side. He really worried me there for a while, but I guess I didn't understand Father Hernandez at all. Now I think what happened is that meeting Reza opened Father Hernandez' mind to other possibilities.

kreelanwarrior said:
Well, I think Hernandez was victimized by his own preconceptions: I think he was expecting "an angel" in some form or other; essentially a warrior of light, if you will. The last thing he expected to see was a human clad in alien armor who obviously had what - to the humans - were clearly supernatural powers.
Long-haired hippie ... (mutter, mutter)

<snip>I think that's the intellectual pit that Hernandez fell into. But at least he had the moral courage to drag himself back out... ;D
Which surprised me.

And Theresa, you are a NUT for staying up all night reading this thing! Well, I assume you didn't hate it (people don't usually stay up late to get themselves irritated - LOL!)... ;)
Welcome to the 2am Klub. ;D

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thanks, Jan!
Chapter 17

At first, I thought Jodi was annoying b/c of her abrasiveness and impertinence toward Father Hernandez. However, as the chapter progressed, I came to respect her attitude. I can see how, despite whatever her experience with religion was prior to arriving on Rutan, the priests' peeping and the people's pacifism may have prompted this attitude.

Father Hernandez is more complicated. It was unwise of a spiritual leader to rouse the masses against Reza, although of course I am biased in Reza's favor. I think he changed when Reza spared him though: he was open-minded enough to help BBQ Reza's kill despite being a vegetarian, and also to leave Rutan in hopes of broadening his experience. I think he will develop into a key player.

For 2 reasons: She is a warrior (member of the military) and she is female (he is just more comfortable with females, having been surrounded by them for most of his life).

I think even if the reason occurred to the humans, they would dismiss it as implausible. If I had been able to pause long enough in my reading to think about it, I might have thought the way Reza killed the Kreelans was the inevitable outcome.

Chapter 18

I would try to figure out a way to keep him safe but harmless! Don't know how!

Chapter 19

Yes. But then, the villagers are true believers, who would fight to defend their beliefs, but not necessarily to defend themselves.

Given the choice between war and allowing an enemy to destroy my people, I would have fought with the Marines. But then, I was not raised on Rutan, so my values probably differ.

Interesting comparison. I'll have to think about that.

They have only known the Kreelans as vicious enemies, and cannot grasp how any human would choose to live among them, much less miss them.

Chapter 20

Honorable, intense, formidable.

What were your first thoughts when you realized that Nicole was Jodi's commander and the person that she loved?I had a feeling it was her! I was glad that Reza would be re-united with his first love, and have a friend and defender.

Did you have any thoughts/ideas on what might happen when Reza and Nicole see each other again for the first time?I was expecting a tearful reunion! :'( What happened?

Chapter 22

The humans have to realize that Reza is a tremendous asset. I'm surprised they let him be treated like any other new Marine, esp. to be abused by Thorella. I might have erred on the side of coddling him too much, I think. :-\

Chapter 23

Raises hand enthusiastically.

Hmmm&#8230;.hadn't occurred to me before. It's possible the Ancient Ones are protecting him still, especially if he has a role to play in the Prophecy. However, it is hard for me to imagine that the Ancient Ones would have protected Reza when he was a human child, when they have allowed so many humans to be massacred. If Reza can have a soul, the Ancient Ones should know the other humans do/can too.

N :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great comments, everybody, even if you are a bunch of loons who stay up until all hours of the night to read! ;D

I'll post some more pithy witticisms tomorrow - was working on a blog post for a while, and now my eyes are starting to burn like crazy (ow!), and it's almost time for bed. Sorry, Gertie, I'm *not* staying up until the wee hours to see what Jamie and Claire are up to (if it were Friday I would, but tomorrow have a long drive across town to an all-day meeting - boo!)...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
I'll post some more pithy witticisms tomorrow - was working on a blog post for a while, and now my eyes are starting to burn like crazy (ow!), and it's almost time for bed. Sorry, Gertie, I'm *not* staying up until the wee hours to see what Jamie and Claire are up to (if it were Friday I would, but tomorrow have a long drive across town to an all-day meeting - boo!)...
I remember working. ;) Didn't you say you have a government job? I did, too. The pension benefits were worth every miserable moment.

Harvey caught up, so the pressure is off ... for now. And notice how you said "Jamie and Claire" ... not what happens next in Outlander. They are so real to us.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gertiekindle said:
I remember working. ;) Didn't you say you have a government job? I did, too. The pension benefits were worth every miserable moment.
July 16, 2019. That's the first day I'm eligible for retirement, and is the day that I plan to drop the little piece of plastic that says I work for Uncle Sam in the plastic container at the gate on my way out. Even if it's on a Sunday. Then maybe I could write full time...<sigh>

Harvey caught up, so the pressure is off ... for now. And notice how you said "Jamie and Claire" ... not what happens next in Outlander. They are so real to us.
No, I just don't wanna get paddled! ;D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Yes, you are making sense. Father Hernandez kind of perplexes me, too. Since you finished the book (and I'm reading ahead),
I found it surprising that he didn't have more contact with Reza. I thought he might end up being a thorn in Reza's side. He really worried me there for a while, but I guess I didn't understand Father Hernandez at all. Now I think what happened is that meeting Reza opened Father Hernandez' mind to other possibilities.

Long-haired hippie ... (mutter, mutter)

Which surprised me.

Welcome to the 2am Klub. ;D
yip - hippie - wippersnap... ::) :eek:

I had wished that Father Hernandez and Reza had more time as well. I found what little conversation they had quite interesting.

Mike,

I can see your point - both of you ;D - about being stuck in intellectual isolation. Maybe I just read Father Hernandez wrong. Or maybe it's my background. I can see the parish going haywire and maybe the others but something about the Father just struck me, his turn to violence and getting everyone all heated up without checking things out first was a little out of character for him. I can see maybe the other Priests doing so and the parish following but I still see Father Hernandez as being that way. I can also see Him being confused by the help that was sent instead of the 'angel' He was expecting and want to figure things out. But then again it wouldn't have been as fun without Reza 'knocking' some since back into the guy! LOL

Ok maybe if I hadn't got attached to the Old man. hmmm wonder why.... I never went to Catholic school I'm not Catholic... but I really liked Father Hernandez.

See what you did to me?!!? I'm defending a character in the book. How dare you make him behave in such a manner, he's not that kind a guy... :eek: ;).ok we all have lapses in judgement at times.. Where's Reza with his flat sword when you need him!

Anton and his father,,,,definitely their character... to the bone!!!! :eek: ;D

theresam

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Not reading spoiler....not reading spoiler....

Hey, does this mean it's OK for me to read ahead too? Was that Kal'al-Il comment just an empty threat? ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Not reading spoiler....not reading spoiler....

Hey, does this mean it's OK for me to read ahead too? Was that Kal'al-Il comment just an empty threat? ;)

I don't know. Tesh Dar Mike can be awfully strict. ::)

I haven't read that far ahead. Just a few chapters. I've been semi-good. ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bkworm8it said:
yip - hippie - wippersnap... ::) :eek:

I had wished that Father Hernandez and Reza had more time as well. I found what little conversation they had quite interesting.
Yes,
one reviewer lamented that their relationship didn't seem to go deep enough, but their relationship was what it was. Bad fingers!

Mike,

I can see your point - both of you ;D - about being stuck in intellectual isolation. Maybe I just read Father Hernandez wrong. Or maybe it's my background. I can see the parish going haywire and maybe the others but something about the Father just struck me, his turn to violence and getting everyone all heated up without checking things out first was a little out of character for him. I can see maybe the other Priests doing so and the parish following but I still see Father Hernandez as being that way. I can also see Him being confused by the help that was sent instead of the 'angel' He was expecting and want to figure things out. But then again it wouldn't have been as fun without Reza 'knocking' some since back into the guy! LOL

Ok maybe if I hadn't got attached to the Old man. hmmm wonder why.... I never went to Catholic school I'm not Catholic... but I really liked Father Hernandez.

See what you did to me?!!? I'm defending a character in the book. How dare you make him behave in such a manner, he's not that kind a guy... :eek: ;).ok we all have lapses in judgement at times.. Where's Reza with his flat sword when you need him!
Hey, this is what this book club sort of thing is all about! ;D

Anton and his father,,,,definitely their character... to the bone!!!! :eek: ;D
Yeah, very, very bad... :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts