Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, peeps! Here are the questions (courtesy of Jan) for this week. Enjoy! ;D

Chapter 17

What are your first impressions of Jodi? Father Hernandez?

Were you surprised at the way Reza first approached Jodi? Why do you think he singled her out over all of the others in Rutan at the time?

Now that we know why the Kreelans prefer hand-to-hand combat, do you find it surprising that the humans who have been fighting them for so long have never figured it out? Were you surprised at the way Reza fought and killed all of the Kreelans on Rutan?

Chapter 18

Were you surprised to learn that the Confederation was considering a "deep scan" of Reza that would have left him a vegetable? What would you have done with Reza at this point?

Chapter 19

Did you find it rather ironic that the villagers who were so against bloodshed were getting worked up enough to rush out of the town and take on the Marines who had protected them, just to get to Reza?

Which side would you have been on in Rutan, fighting with the Marines to try to defeat the Kreelans, or remaining the village, standing fast in your belief that war and bloodshed are not the answer?

Do you see any similarity between Father Hernandez' doubt in Reza's beliefs and the Empress' and Tesh-Dar's "experiment" to see whether humans had souls?

Why is it so hard for Jodi and Father Hernandez to believe that Reza is homesick for the place he lived for so many years?

Chapter 20

What do you think your first impression of Reza would have been, if you were Commodore Sinclaire?

What were your first thoughts when you realized that Nicole was Jodi's commander and the person that she loved?

Did you have any thoughts/ideas on what might happen when Reza and Nicole see each other again for the first time?

Chapter 22

What do you think of Reza's re-introduction into human civilization so far? Do you think he's being treated well, considering where he came from? What would you have done differently, if anything?

Chapter 23

Okay, who cheered when Reza knocked Thorella off the bridge?

Do you think the Ancient Ones are still watching over Reza? Do you think they have always been, and perhaps that's what Tesh Dar sensed in him?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bkworm8it said:
Oh no Gertie I wasn't saying that you meant that. I was saying you had a good point about them being cloistered. I was more commenting on the fact that it seemed incongruous that Father Hernandez would jump to that conclusion without any information especially since he/they were not that way about the kreelans. Am I making any since here? Pardon me if not I've had 3 hours of sleep finishing someone's book!

theresam
Well, I think Hernandez was victimized by his own preconceptions: I think he was expecting "an angel" in some form or other; essentially a warrior of light, if you will. The last thing he expected to see was a human clad in alien armor who obviously had what - to the humans - were clearly supernatural powers.

I think his reaction to that was a play on my own consternation at how often people - particularly those who live in intellectual isolation, as they did on Rutan - look at someone who has knowledge or power beyond their immediate understanding and so often seize upon it as being "bad." A good example that I happened to see recently was the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta. I think that's the intellectual pit that Hernandez fell into. But at least he had the moral courage to drag himself back out... ;D

And Theresa, you are a NUT for staying up all night reading this thing! Well, I assume you didn't hate it (people don't usually stay up late to get themselves irritated - LOL!)... ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great comments, everybody, even if you are a bunch of loons who stay up until all hours of the night to read! ;D

I'll post some more pithy witticisms tomorrow - was working on a blog post for a while, and now my eyes are starting to burn like crazy (ow!), and it's almost time for bed. Sorry, Gertie, I'm *not* staying up until the wee hours to see what Jamie and Claire are up to (if it were Friday I would, but tomorrow have a long drive across town to an all-day meeting - boo!)...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gertiekindle said:
I remember working. ;) Didn't you say you have a government job? I did, too. The pension benefits were worth every miserable moment.
July 16, 2019. That's the first day I'm eligible for retirement, and is the day that I plan to drop the little piece of plastic that says I work for Uncle Sam in the plastic container at the gate on my way out. Even if it's on a Sunday. Then maybe I could write full time...<sigh>

Harvey caught up, so the pressure is off ... for now. And notice how you said "Jamie and Claire" ... not what happens next in Outlander. They are so real to us.
No, I just don't wanna get paddled! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bkworm8it said:
yip - hippie - wippersnap... ::) :eek:

I had wished that Father Hernandez and Reza had more time as well. I found what little conversation they had quite interesting.
Yes,
one reviewer lamented that their relationship didn't seem to go deep enough, but their relationship was what it was. Bad fingers!

Mike,

I can see your point - both of you ;D - about being stuck in intellectual isolation. Maybe I just read Father Hernandez wrong. Or maybe it's my background. I can see the parish going haywire and maybe the others but something about the Father just struck me, his turn to violence and getting everyone all heated up without checking things out first was a little out of character for him. I can see maybe the other Priests doing so and the parish following but I still see Father Hernandez as being that way. I can also see Him being confused by the help that was sent instead of the 'angel' He was expecting and want to figure things out. But then again it wouldn't have been as fun without Reza 'knocking' some since back into the guy! LOL

Ok maybe if I hadn't got attached to the Old man. hmmm wonder why.... I never went to Catholic school I'm not Catholic... but I really liked Father Hernandez.

See what you did to me?!!? I'm defending a character in the book. How dare you make him behave in such a manner, he's not that kind a guy... :eek: ;).ok we all have lapses in judgement at times.. Where's Reza with his flat sword when you need him!
Hey, this is what this book club sort of thing is all about! ;D

Anton and his father,,,,definitely their character... to the bone!!!! :eek: ;D
Yeah, very, very bad... :(

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Neekeebee said:
Not reading spoiler....not reading spoiler....

Hey, does this mean it's OK for me to read ahead too? Was that Kal'al-Il comment just an empty threat? ;)

N :)
Well, I won't beat you if you can get Gertie to promise not to paddle *me*! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
gertiekindle said:
It's your Klub! :D
Ha! I think either the Kool Atomic Hat has scared everyone away, or they're already done with the book! LOL!!

I mentioned to Jan over in that other Klub that I've read through Chapter 30. I think I was only supposed to read through 29.

But now that I'm there ...
Keel Tath's tomb, right?
;)
I'm takin' the fifth! Hmmm, where's the paddle?? ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
gertiekindle said:
Tease!!! Besides, I don't deserve it. I'm reading even further ahead.
Bad Gertie! Bad! ;D

NAH, NAH, I WAS RIGHT!!! Okay, choking up, here, so you know what part I'm up to.

For the benefit of those who I'm sure are lurking, I won't say anymore. I'll wait for Jan's excellent questions. (sigh)
The Plain of Aragon...cried myself the first time I read what I'd written. I guess the author's not supposed to do that, but I can't help it. I'm a big softy... :'(

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Dazlyn said:
OMG! This book is driving me crazy because I can't stop reading! I received my first Kindle on Tuesday and started In Her Name on Wednesday in order to catch up with the book klub. Now, I have caught up and I can't put it down. Must......find.....out......what.......happens!

I will still try to answer the questions, but right now I want to finish the chapter I am on. Thanks Mike for a great book that has made me laugh, cry, and cheer.....so far.

Kelly
Cheater! LOL! ;D

Glad you're enjoying it so much - faaar better that than "Oh, I can put this down any old time and forget about it..." D'oh!

So, where are you in the story now?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
bkworm8it said:
your not done yet?!! How can you stand it? I stayed up all night and read book 2 through the end in one night. But then again, I have no job, no family, no life, no ummm hmmmm ok I have pets that beg for food when I forget then I remember to feed myself too! They also get huffy when it's bed time so I had to move to the bed to read so they could sleep!
Well, it's clear that you *do* have a job: pet servant! LOL! And it sounds just like one of our cats, Nina: when it's bedtime, she sprawls across the bed, shoving us all the way to one side. Good grief... ::)

Ok I'm going to take a chance here and ask "What do I need to do to get an autographed copy?" Since I need to purchase a hard copy for my sis to read I would love a signed copy. Ok ready.. set...go... oh btw, I have no threshold for pain so I could not survive life on the Kreelan home world so think of something else!! LOL :eek: ::) ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

theresam
Well, I'd certainly be happy to provide the autograph! ;D As for the mechanics of it, I suppose you could order it and have it delivered here, then PayPal me the cost to ship it to your sis (or back to you)? Courier pigeon (or African swallow, for those who remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail)...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
gertiekindle said:
I have no "paying" job, but somehow I've evolved into the family chauffeur, homework grandma, school volunteer (10 hours a week) and all around gofer. I'm thinking of getting a pet so I have an excuse to stay home and enjoy my "retirement." :D
Jeez! I better stay at work so I don't have to work that much! LOL!

Yes, it's been tough to hold back, but I'm not entirely a saint. I have read a few chapters ahead
Jodi and Eustus are flying in to rescue Reza, and I can't see how that will turn out well
Um. Well, you probably already know by now how it turns out!

See, I'm just trying to take it easy on Jan. If I read too far ahead, she's going to have to work faster on those questions. ;)
She's been giving me the evil eye this evening, muttering things about doing my own darn questions because she wants to read! D'oh! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
gertiekindle said:
DG does signed bookplates. That's something you can design and print on your computer. One first class stamp to mail out and then the recipient can stick it on the inside of the book. Just a suggestion.

P.S. I'm falling asleep at the wheel, so I'll answer questions tomorrow. No rush since it's just you and me. :D
Hey, great idea! I'll look into that. I hate the idea of folks having to spend more money on shipping stuff around...

You, me, Theresa, and the crickets! ;D Kelly was here a while ago, but she must've been like the rest of you and pulled an all-nighter reading, and is now semi-conscious somewhere... LOL!!

No matter - for everybody (lurking or otherwise), ENJOY!

BTW - the next set of questions are up at http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,4732.0.html

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ann in Arlington (KindleBoardsInmate #65) said:
Well I finally got through Chapter 23. Please note it is NOT because I'm not enjoying the book. Simply that I'm not having the time I'd like to read. But I've been doing a chapter (at least) per night.
I suffer the same problem - I love reading (and writing), but for some reason the last few months have hardly had any time to just curl up with my Kindle and read! Hmph!

So, Fr. Hernandez. . . .the disconnect with him seems to be that he started out as a pacifist but gets all het up about Reza. At first it seemed incongruous but on the other hand, he was hoping for a Messiah type -- and I would expect, had a very specific picture in mind. Peacemaker type, lion and lamb to lie down, turn the other cheek, swords into plowshares and all that. But Reza is patently NOT that type so the only alternative is to see him as the Anti-Chirst, as it were, and to destroy him. I was impressed that Reza was able to win him over and hope to see more philosophical discussion between the two. . .the government is not wise in keeping them apart because Fr. Hernandez may be the one who could get Reza talking about his belief system. Or not, he's still got a problem with not seeing men as all the way worthy.
Actually, that's a very good point about it not being smart for them to have separated Hernandez, from Reza. Unfortunately, with someone like Dr. Rabat in charge... :(

Jodi. . .I like. . . .strong character. . . .that Nicole is her roommate: kind of a 'duh'; figured she'd have to show up sometime otherwise why dwell on their relationship on Hallmark.
Yeah, the beginning of the book - particularly the time on Hallmark - was actually the toughest part to write. I went back and forth on that quite a bit. I know to some it seems like a disjointed piece of the story at first, but it sets up the relationship between Reza and Nicole as something much more than friends (although not lovers) - and she plays a very critical role in the story later (even beyond being Reza's friend once he returns "home" from the Empire).

I expect Reza will be somewhat indoctrinated into the Marines, but I expect that to an almost equal extent, the Marines will be indoctrinated into his "Way". . . . .and I expect he'll have Eustus ending up as one of the best and strongest Marines because he'll treat him -- to an extent -- the way EZ treated him.
I think Reza simply tolerates the Marine training - after all he's been through, it's a cakewalk! And I think yes, Eustus winds up benefitting from the relationship - even if Reza doesn't beat him like Esah-Zhurah first did to Reza... ;D

Gotta get rid of that sadistic Captain though. :)
You'll be seeing lots more of him, unfortunately! :(

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Betsy the Quilter AKA Agent 72 said:
Instead of being in the book klub, I was reading the book!!! I'm done but now I have some tim efor the book klub, so I'm joining this program already in progress.
Yaay! ;D

Were you surprised at the way Reza first approached Jodi? Why do you think he singled her out over all of the others in Rutan at the time? As others have pointed out, she was a woman warrior and that was the kind of person he was used to dealing with.
Don't know if I'd mentioned this earlier, but when I was writing the book - and even as many times as I've read through it during editing - I never thought of why Reza showed up with Jodi. But this makes perfect sense...

Now that we know why the Kreelans prefer hand-to-hand combat, do you find it surprising that the humans who have been fighting them for so long have never figured it out? Were you surprised at the way Reza fought and killed all of the Kreelans on Rutan? (1) I don't think the humans have thougt much about the reasons behind it, they've been so busy trying not to be decimated... (2)It's so contrary to human thinking, I'm not surprised that the humans haven't figured it out. As for Reza, he gave up everything to defend his birth people; according to the code of honor he was raised with, it was his only option.
I suspect the humans have given it a great deal of thought, but what conclusions could they possibly come to, knowing absolutely nothing about their enemy's motivations or true capabilities? There was no communication, no understanding of the enemy's motivations - nothing except for seemingly endless, bloody combat... :(

Did you find it rather ironic that the villagers who were so against bloodshed were getting worked up enough to rush out of the town and take on the Marines who had protected them, just to get to Reza? I'm afraid that I think that for many people, their belief systems are very shallow, and in time of crisis, they revert to their worst natures....
I heartily agree - I think this is, alas, all too common even in "advanced" societies such as our own.

Why is it so hard for Jodi and Father Hernandez to believe that Reza is homesick for the place he lived for so many years? In their minds, it is an awful place filled with enemy creatures. They no more think the Kreelans have souls than the Kreelans do about humans...
Ha! Good point! ;D

Okay, who cheered when Reza knocked Thorella off the bridge? All of us!
The big scumball... Grrr...

Do you think the Ancient Ones are still watching over Reza? Do you think they have always been, and perhaps that's what Tesh Dar sensed in him? Didn't Tesh Dar have the memories of all who came before her? I think she knew someone was out there who would answer the prophecy, and her previous encounter with Reza when he was very young marked him in her mind.
Well, Tesh-Dar seems to have an extraordinary sense for the Ancient Ones, but it's the living Empress who embodies the spirits of all who came before her since the First Empress. But the Ancient Ones are left in a bit of mystery, perhaps to be explored in a later book... ;)

Mike, this is just a fantastic book!!! All of you who've finished should march your little fingers over to Amazon and leave some reviews!!!! I did!
Thanks so much, Betsy, both for the kind comments and the review! Reviews are *always* welcome, and they're a big element in how well books do on Amazon, particularly from small/self-press publishers (like me!). ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.