Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, folks, the next set of questions for you! The reading section for this week is chapters 6 through the end of 10. Again, don't feel compelled to go with these if you don't want - do whatever you think would be fun! ;D

I didn't break these down into chapters this time, although - hopefully! - I have them in order and don't have any questions in here that are spoilers for chapters beyond 10 like I did initially for the first week - d'oh!

Questions:

What did you think of the Kreelan city? Did you expect them to understand beauty, after seeing how they treated the human civilizations?

How do you think you might feel if you were in Reza's place when Esah-Zhurah takes him through the city?

We have seen Tesh Dar spare Reza's life once and save it twice now. Why do you think she is so tolerant of Reza, when all she had done before is kill humans at first sight?

How did you feel when Reza and Esah-Zhurah expressed their feelings toward one another?

What did you think of the curse of the First Empress that Esah-Zhurah recounted to Reza?

Why do you think Esah-Zhurah fears dying most of all by being eaten by a creature ignorant of everything but hunger and primal instincts?

3949-55 -Tesh Dar, as she concludes her discussion with Esah-Zhurah, has the thought "...Esah-Zhurah was more than just another young warrior to her. Far more." What could make her so important to her?

And, of course, I have to work in yet another picture of me wearing the Kool Atomic Hat!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
What did you think of the Kreelan city? Did you expect them to understand beauty, after seeing how they treated the human civilizations?
The Kreelans have their own code or Way and they do talk about blood singing and recognizing souls. This leads me to believe that they recognize beauty, truth and courage.

How do you think you might feel if you were in Reza's place when Esah-Zhurah takes him through the city?
Excited to be outside at last and to see something and someone besides my cage and my captor. I think Reza learned more about the Kreelans and their way of life through this experience than by hours of Esah-Zhurah drumming things into his head (or his body).

We have seen Tesh Dar spare Reza's life once and save it twice now. Why do you think she is so tolerant of Reza, when all she had done before is kill humans at first sight?

Tesh-Dar must sense something about Reza. Maybe his blood doesn't fully sing, but she hears something.

How did you feel when Reza and Esah-Zhurah expressed their feelings toward one another?

Inevitable. Reza has no contact with anyone but Esah-Zhurah and, in effect, he has grown up with her. The other tresh have shown some respect for Reza, but I doubt if they hang out at the local pub on a Saturday night.

What did you think of the curse of the First Empress that Esah-Zhurah recounted to Reza?
Ouch!! Can't wait to find out how they contain a bunch of randy guys while they wait for the mating time. Consumed with lust as they are, they must also be pretty reluctant to mate since it's one time and die.

Why do you think Esah-Zhurah fears dying most of all by being eaten by a creature ignorant of everything but hunger and primal instincts?
It goes to the Kreelans prejudice against everyone or everything that is outside of the Way. The Kreelans think that humans aren't much better than a genoth.

3949-55 -Tesh Dar, as she concludes her discussion with Esah-Zhurah, has the thought "...Esah-Zhurah was more than just another young warrior to her. Far more." What could make her so important to her?
I want to know why Reza suddenly asked Esah-Zhurah if she could ever be empress. Are you leading us to Esah-Zhurah being the one to break the curse? Does Tesh Dar know or at least sense this?

Now that I've given you the cool atomic hat, I have to wear my second best.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gertiekindle said:
Inevitable. Reza has no contact with anyone but Esah-Zhurah and, in effect, he has grown up with her. The other tresh have shown some respect for Reza, but I doubt if they hang out at the local pub on a Saturday night.
No pub on Saturdays? Dang... ;D

Ouch!! Can't wait to find out how they contain a bunch of randy guys while they wait for the mating time. Consumed with lust as they are, they must also be pretty reluctant to mate since it's one time and die.
Easy: just put them all in a place where they can watch ESPN...But no, it's not a good thing to be a Kreelan male. Not good at all... :-(

I want to know why Reza suddenly asked Esah-Zhurah if she could ever be empress. Are you leading us to Esah-Zhurah being the one to break the curse? Does Tesh Dar know or at least sense this?
It's not a leading question/situation. It struck Reza that the war, the entire known galaxy, would be totally different if the Kreelans understood humans like Esah-Zhurah is coming to understand him. But the only way that such a change could happen is if she were in a position of power, and the only true power in the Empire is the empress herself. There is no government, there are no bureaucrats: the empress is the ultimate and total authority in their society. Unfortunately, tradition demands that only one born of white hair - a direct descendant of the First Empress - can ever sit upon the throne. But Esah-Zhurah's hair is black, and her talons are silver... :-(

Now that I've given you the cool atomic hat, I have to wear my second best.

Well, I see you at least have the champagne chilling! ;-)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
It's not a leading question/situation. It struck Reza that the war, the entire known galaxy, would be totally different if the Kreelans understood humans like Esah-Zhurah is coming to understand him. But the only way that such a change could happen is if she were in a position of power, and the only true power in the Empire is the empress herself. There is no government, there are no bureaucrats: the empress is the ultimate and total authority in their society. Unfortunately, tradition demands that only one born of white hair - a direct descendant of the First Empress - can ever sit upon the throne. But Esah-Zhurah's hair is black, and her talons are silver... :-(
I see what you mean about Reza. He's thinking EZ being Empress is the only hope for humans.

Black hair/silver talons; no. White hair/black talons; yes. But E-Z was guided to Reza in the river and Tesh Dar knew it. It was enough to send her running to the Empress.

Well, I see you at least have the champagne chilling! ;-)
Dom Deluise on ice. Nothing but the best.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gertiekindle said:
Black hair/silver talons; no. White hair/black talons; yes. But E-Z was guided to Reza in the river and Tesh Dar knew it. It was enough to send her running to the Empress.
There are other forces at work that are (so far) a bit more subtle...

Dom Deluise on ice. Nothing but the best.
Um. Glad I had some kahlua and irish cream handy! ;D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Utt ohhh I've just finished chapt 7 so I'll wait since they are not listed by chapters. Don't want to accidental get ahead of myself LOL.

Would have gotten further but I did finally get the back of a sweater I'm knitting done. Then started the front and am learning to read and knit at the same time, at least till I get to the part i'm cabling then can't do both :( 

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bkworm8it said:
Utt ohhh I've just finished chapt 7 so I'll wait since they are not listed by chapters. Don't want to accidental get ahead of myself LOL.

Would have gotten further but I did finally get the back of a sweater I'm knitting done. Then started the front and am learning to read and knit at the same time, at least till I get to the part i'm cabling then can't do both :(

theresam
Well, that's supposed to be a new feature on the K2: text to voice. So your Kindle can read to you while you knit! ;D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Well, that's supposed to be a new feature on the K2: text to voice. So your Kindle can read to you while you knit! ;D
LOL, I'm trying very hard not to upgrade my kindle. Poor thing is getting a complex with all this talk about upgrade and advantages. I have to keep reassuring it. I keep telling it 'Don't worry, I won't trade you in, I like your Oberon cover too much!' Somehow I don't think it feels reassured. :eek: ;D ;D

I'll just figure out how to knit and read on my own. anyhoo I make it to chpt 9. I really enjoyed chapt 8. It was wonderful that Reza was able to tame the animal that non of them were able. Seems they don't understand what kindness can do. Or that you get more flies with honey that vinegar!

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bkworm8it said:
LOL, I'm trying very hard not to upgrade my kindle. Poor thing is getting a complex with all this talk about upgrade and advantages. I have to keep reassuring it. I keep telling it 'Don't worry, I won't trade you in, I like your Oberon cover too much!' Somehow I don't think it feels reassured. :eek: ;D ;D

I'll just figure out how to knit and read on my own. anyhoo I make it to chpt 9. I really enjoyed chapt 8. It was wonderful that Reza was able to tame the animal that non of them were able. Seems they don't understand what kindness can do. Or that you get more flies with honey that vinegar!

theresam
Well, I figure we'll hold onto our K1s until they crap out - hopefully not until K3 or K4. No disrespect to anyone who sees differently, but the K2 doesn't offer enough things that matter that much to us to upgrade at cost. If I had a K1 already on order, that would be different (sure, why not get a "free" upgrade if the timing is right?), but it's not something I'm going to worry about as long as my K1 still works (and I told Jan she's not allowed to conveniently drop hers! LOL!).

And yes, while the Kreelans aren't by nature cruel, they often don't see the wisdom and power of simple kindness... :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ok, I've made it to 3908 so I'll answer up to there. Should be done with 10 tonight ;D But then getting behind for next week lol :eek:

How do you think you might feel if you were in Reza's place when Esah-Zhurah takes him through the city? I would be in awe of all the sites and unable to keep my head down. or stop from staring. I don't think I could have used the bath though even if all girls. I'm very very modest! - around people

We have seen Tesh Dar spare Reza's life once and save it twice now. Why do you think she is so tolerant of Reza, when all she had done before is kill humans at first sight? I think he intrigues her and maybe she's beginning to rethink her opinion of (most) humans.

How did you feel when Reza and Esah-Zhurah expressed their feelings toward one another? He's a traitor!! Just kidding.... Well its in vetable that he starts falling for her. They have been thrown together to survive together. I think in tat kind of situations people get close, specially opposite genders and since they are not that different so bound to be some chemistry. That and stock holme syndrome. How do I feel about this? Like Rea, part feel being a traitor and part well, this is your life now not much choice than living it.

What did you think of the curse of the First Empress that Esah-Zhurah recounted to Reza? Wow, that's pretty powerful curse and very sad. I think as all legends there is some truth too it though I'm not sure if its all fact. But then again this is a sci-fi book so anything can happen.

Why do you think Esah-Zhurah fears dying most of all by being eaten by a creature ignorant of everything but hunger and primal instincts? She would see it as shameful and humiliating not to die any way other than combat, cept maybe possible old age. I think she also fears that her life doesn't mean much and that being eaten like that would confirm it.

If Reza and Esah-Zhurah mated and were physiologically compatible and she not being sterile... what color would the child be? Would it look like it was constantly oxygen starved? Ok I'm bad LOL

theresam

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I HAD to read ahead  :mad: but I did stop at Book 2, figured I'd try to get caught up on some other books and let y'all catch up to me LOL.  It would be easier if you did put the chapters in your questions, that way I could go back to my bookmarks and verify what I thought.  I know, I know, I was going to wait until questions before I read, but I am afraid to post because I just might spoil  :'(  can't do that doncha know.

So far no bad dreams - well not from this book anyway  :D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
LOL Anju, if it wasn't for my cold I would have been a lot further in the book. I've been sneak reading during slow times at work - ok during 'breaks' and lunch when my eyes have been able to focus! Starting to feel soo much better!!

Lets see if this helps

Chapt 6

chpt 6 or 7

Chpt 10

chapt 9

chpt 9

chpt 10

my best recollection though I think a couple I may have wrong :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anju said:
I HAD to read ahead :mad: but I did stop at Book 2, figured I'd try to get caught up on some other books and let y'all catch up to me LOL. It would be easier if you did put the chapters in your questions, that way I could go back to my bookmarks and verify what I thought. I know, I know, I was going to wait until questions before I read, but I am afraid to post because I just might spoil :'( can't do that doncha know.

So far no bad dreams - well not from this book anyway :D
Sorry 'bout the chapter thing. I didn't think to put them in at first, but I have started to put them in now.

Speaking of which, I have to finish up the questions for section 4! You all are going to be caught up with me and I won't have any questions for you! ACK! Not to mention answer the questions for Outlander! Double ACK!!! :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
OK!  I am going to be late getting the kids from school, but had to say,
MIKE... you are AWESOME!!  Love this book, so much emotion and adventure!
NO WAY I will be able to stay with the club, must keep reading.
(but must stop NOW!!!  Kids waiting at school! :eek:)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Mom of 4 said:
OK! I am going to be late getting the kids from school, but had to say,
MIKE... you are AWESOME!! Love this book, so much emotion and adventure!
(but must stop NOW!!! Kids waiting at school! :eek:)
No reading at stop lights either!! <ggggg>

theresam

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ok finished chpt 10!

3949-55 -Tesh Dar, as she concludes her discussion with Esah-Zhurah, has the thought "...Esah-Zhurah was more than just another young warrior to her. Far more." What could make her so important to her? She may be her daughter, the daughter of a relative or someone that may be very important to the empress

Sometimes I wonder that they think Reza is an animal, yet they can converse with him and none of the other animals on their planet or earth's planets. I can see them thinking themselves superior but to see him as the same as those animals. But I wonder if they just keep telling themselves that and that his blood doesn't sing so they do not feel they are questioning the Empresses wishes. IDK just my thoughts! :-X

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bkworm8it said:
Ok, I've made it to 3908 so I'll answer up to there. Should be done with 10 tonight ;D But then getting behind for next week lol :eek:
Oh, dear! You're gonna be in real trouble when things start shifting into high gear as you close in on chapter 16 (the end of Book 1). ;D

How do you think you might feel if you were in Reza's place when Esah-Zhurah takes him through the city? I would be in awe of all the sites and unable to keep my head down. or stop from staring. I don't think I could have used the bath though even if all girls. I'm very very modest! - around people
You know, I've always wondered why the "bathroom" scene was in there (dang fingers - can't control 'em!). But maybe it was to help further show just how uncomfortable and emotionally difficult Reza's life was at that time...

We have seen Tesh Dar spare Reza's life once and save it twice now. Why do you think she is so tolerant of Reza, when all she had done before is kill humans at first sight? I think he intrigues her and maybe she's beginning to rethink her opinion of (most) humans.
Tesh-Dar's a softie! LOL! ;D

How did you feel when Reza and Esah-Zhurah expressed their feelings toward one another? He's a traitor!! Just kidding.... Well its in vetable that he starts falling for her. They have been thrown together to survive together. I think in tat kind of situations people get close, specially opposite genders and since they are not that different so bound to be some chemistry. That and stock holme syndrome. How do I feel about this? Like Rea, part feel being a traitor and part well, this is your life now not much choice than living it.
Good point about the Stockholm syndrome! I had never thought of it that way, but that's quite true.

What did you think of the curse of the First Empress that Esah-Zhurah recounted to Reza? Wow, that's pretty powerful curse and very sad. I think as all legends there is some truth too it though I'm not sure if its all fact. But then again this is a sci-fi book so anything can happen.
No spoilers, but you'll find out more further on!

Why do you think Esah-Zhurah fears dying most of all by being eaten by a creature ignorant of everything but hunger and primal instincts? She would see it as shameful and humiliating not to die any way other than combat, cept maybe possible old age. I think she also fears that her life doesn't mean much and that being eaten like that would confirm it.
Yeah, being eaten would suck all-around, but I agree: I think she feels that way because in their culture the way of the warrior should end in honorable death. There's nothing honorable about being a snack... :eek:

If Reza and Esah-Zhurah mated and were physiologically compatible and she not being sterile... what color would the child be? Would it look like it was constantly oxygen starved? Ok I'm bad LOL
Where's the oxygen mask?! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anju said:
I HAD to read ahead :mad: but I did stop at Book 2, figured I'd try to get caught up on some other books and let y'all catch up to me LOL. It would be easier if you did put the chapters in your questions, that way I could go back to my bookmarks and verify what I thought. I know, I know, I was going to wait until questions before I read, but I am afraid to post because I just might spoil :'( can't do that doncha know.

So far no bad dreams - well not from this book anyway :D
Ohhhh, stranded with a cliffhanger! LOL! ;D

Not putting the chapters with the questions was my fault. I was going to add them in, then got lazy and didn't. D'oh!

But if you want to post things from read-aheads, feel free to pop them into the spoilers thread!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mom of 4 said:
OK! I am going to be late getting the kids from school, but had to say,
MIKE... you are AWESOME!! Love this book, so much emotion and adventure!
(but must stop NOW!!! Kids waiting at school! :eek:)
LOL! Glad you like it - tell all your friends and people you pass on the street about your local starving author... ;D

But if you want to ask questions or make observations or whatever, feel free to pop over into the spoilers thread!

How far are you now??

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bkworm8it said:
Ok finished chpt 10!

3949-55 -Tesh Dar, as she concludes her discussion with Esah-Zhurah, has the thought "...Esah-Zhurah was more than just another young warrior to her. Far more." What could make her so important to her? She may be her daughter, the daughter of a relative or someone that may be very important to the empress
I think Tesh-Dar empathizes with Esah-Zhurah because of the difficult task she was given at such a young age, and is proud of her because she has accomplished so much...

Sometimes I wonder that they think Reza is an animal, yet they can converse with him and none of the other animals on their planet or earth's planets. I can see them thinking themselves superior but to see him as the same as those animals. But I wonder if they just keep telling themselves that and that his blood doesn't sing so they do not feel they are questioning the Empresses wishes. IDK just my thoughts! :-X
Well, I think "animal" in this context is really an analog of slavery (Reza is also obviously a slave under the circumstances, but they never call him that because the Kreelans have no such tradition). Not so very long ago in our own history, slaves were considered property, regarded and treated as useful animals. I suspect slave owners, as a general rule, felt that slaves had no soul, and in fact only mimicked the human form (otherwise you'd think they would have felt a bit guilty at having them as slaves!). And I'm sure that in many slave owner households, there were domesticated animals (horses, in particular) that were probably valued above any of the "two-legged animals."

I think the same is true of the Kreelans. They have a very specific test - the Bloodsong - for whether a being has a soul, and any creature that doesn't "sing," that doesn't share that bond with the Empress, has no soul. And creatures without a soul - just as many/most of us believe - are almost by definition "animals."

Does that make any sense? :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts