Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Well, I think "animal" in this context is really an analog of slavery (Reza is also obviously a slave under the circumstances, but they never call him that because the Kreelans have no such tradition).

Does that make any sense? :) ;D
I was actually thinking along the same lines of like slavery or indentured servant which in some cases treated the same way. But I guess I was using animal in the real since of the term instead of figuratively. :-[ sometimes my brain just has too many things going through it LOL.

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
bkworm8it said:
I was actually thinking along the same lines of like slavery or indentured servant which in some cases treated the same way. But I guess I was using animal in the real since of the term instead of figuratively. :-[ sometimes my brain just has too many things going through it LOL.

theresam
Well, I suspect the majority of Kreelans did think that humans weren't much more than animals who could fight. They're very xenophobic and just a tad conceited; their civilization is *very* old, and I think they're just a bit fixed in their ways of thinking!

Then again, there are others - generally the clawless ones like Pan'ne-Sharakh - who may not believe the humans have souls, but who are at least capable of compassion.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
What did you think of the Kreelan city? Did you expect them to understand beauty, after seeing how they treated the human civilizations? I didn't really think about the Kreelans' understanding of beauty until that chapter. I figured that what they did to the human civilizations was due to the Kreelans not believing humans were worthy due to being soulless.

How do you think you might feel if you were in Reza's place when Esah-Zhurah takes him through the city?Just in awe, trying to catch as much as possible. Not only has Reza been locked up in a windowless room, he is now immersed in this totally foreign culture. So, despite whatever hateful feelings he might have toward the people who killed his family and civilization, there must also a sense of tremendous wonder in how the Kreelans function.

We have seen Tesh Dar spare Reza's life once and save it twice now. Why do you think she is so tolerant of Reza, when all she had done before is kill humans at first sight?

I think their meeting in the first chapter deeply affected her. She is rather impressed by Reza; if he had that much fight as a pup, he must have great warrior potential. Also, I think a part of her is starting to wonder whether maybe humans do have souls, and therefore are worth saving, and she's decided Reza is a better specimen than most for her to study.

How did you feel when Reza and Esah-Zhurah expressed their feelings toward one another?
Until she saved him in the cold, I wasn't sure how exactly Esah-Zhurah really felt about Reza. It was as if there was always a part of her that didn't respect him and didn't want to care if he was hurt or killed. She allows her pride to place them both in danger at the beginning of Chapter 10. I think by the end of the chapter, she finally gives up the part of her that wanted to see him as an animal.

Brilliant story: part Romeo and Juliet, part black widow! It seems like there must be a lot of truth to it, but makes me wonder whether the Empress still possesses magical powers. Like, can she un-curse her race?

Why do you think Esah-Zhurah fears dying most of all by being eaten by a creature ignorant of everything but hunger and primal instincts?
To her, it is not an honorable death, as dying in combat or even in training would be.

3949-55 -Tesh Dar, as she concludes her discussion with Esah-Zhurah, has the thought "...Esah-Zhurah was more than just another young warrior to her. Far more." What could make her so important to her?
I don't know! A few guesses: Esah-Zhurah is her daughter or related in some other way; there is a prophecy about Esah-Zhurah, for which she was singled out to be Reza's tresh; she is the only one who has managed to bond with a human partner (I am thinking the other kids saved form Hallmark were also put through Reza's training regimen and must be out there somewhere if they have not all been killed already).

N :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well, I'll have plenty of time to get caught up know! I've just been laid off----again in less than 6 mo. :mad:

on a happy note...

I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..

LOL.. just realized I'd better explain - chapter 13 in the book not filling chapt 13. Well hopefully not filing chapt 13

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Well, I'll have plenty of time to get caught up know! I've just been laid off----again in less than 6 mo. :mad:

on a happy note...

I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..I'm on chapter 13..

LOL.. just realized I'd better explain - chapter 13 in the book not filling chapt 13. Well hopefully not filing chapt 13
Oh, that's awful. My cousin just got laid off after 10 years. I hope you find something quickly.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Oh, that's awful. My cousin just got laid off after 10 years. I hope you find something quickly.
Thanks gertie, I hope your cousin got a good severance package! I have yet to made it at a job past 5 years. I always get laid of at 4 or 5 years. This is the first i'm laid off within 6 months of another lay off. I'm praying God has something in the works.

theresam

thanks

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
bkworm8it said:
Oh, that sucks SO bad! As much as my job aggravates me sometimes, I'm overjoyed to have it. The federal government is hosed up in a lot of ways, but it gives good job security (at least for the twenty or so years I've been there).

I hope you get a GOOD job soon!!

on a happy note...

Huh-ohhhhhh!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Neekeebee said:
How did you feel when Reza and Esah-Zhurah expressed their feelings toward one another?
Until she saved him in the cold, I wasn't sure how exactly Esah-Zhurah really felt about Reza. It was as if there was always a part of her that didn't respect him and didn't want to care if he was hurt or killed. She allows her pride to place them both in danger at the beginning of Chapter 10. I think by the end of the chapter, she finally gives up the part of her that wanted to see him as an animal.

Brilliant story: part Romeo and Juliet, part black widow! It seems like there must be a lot of truth to it, but makes me wonder whether the Empress still possesses magical powers. Like, can she un-curse her race?
Romeo and Juliet + Black Widow! I like that! As for the curse, there's more to come... ;D

3949-55 -Tesh Dar, as she concludes her discussion with Esah-Zhurah, has the thought "...Esah-Zhurah was more than just another young warrior to her. Far more." What could make her so important to her?
I don't know! A few guesses: Esah-Zhurah is her daughter or related in some other way; there is a prophecy about Esah-Zhurah, for which she was singled out to be Reza's tresh; she is the only one who has managed to bond with a human partner (I am thinking the other kids saved form Hallmark were also put through Reza's training regimen and must be out there somewhere if they have not all been killed already).
No spoilers! Hold those thoughts and see how they pan out as the story unfolds... ;D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks N. I plan to at least get caught up on my reading during the job hunt. Though I have to say, I just made it to the middle of chpt 16 last night.  ;D I would have read more but wasn't feeling very well and a lot had happend in the prior chapters so I went to bed. 

Slept in, tried hard to be late, stopped one last time at starbucks (they gave me a free drink - I had developed a relationship with them all there the past 6 mo.) and still made it to work 2 mins early. Sheesh! Guess I'll try harder tomorrow which is my last day.

I am enjoying the book.

theresam

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Chad Winters said:
I had planned on sticking to the reading schedule, but suddenly found myself on Chap 37 today....
This has to be the ultimate compliment for any author!! "Reading your book is so enjoyable that I am literally not able to stick with a reading schedule."
I am here and reading with you..... just may not be able to do much posting due to health issues/testing etc. But, I'm totally enjoying everyone's thoughts/posts and thank all of you for your insight. Being able to read and discuss a book with the author is "over-the-top" for me!!! Thanks once again Mike & Jan!!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
This has to be the ultimate compliment for any author!! "Reading your book is so enjoyable that I am literally not able to stick with a reading schedule."
Hey, I'm all smiles about it! ;D

I am here and reading with you..... just may not be able to do much posting due to health issues/testing etc. But, I'm totally enjoying everyone's thoughts/posts and thank all of you for your insight. Being able to read and discuss a book with the author is "over-the-top" for me!!! Thanks once again Mike & Jan!!!
You're most welcome! Just wish you were feeling better, though!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks, Mike!  The cardiologist has me going for testing and they'll get this figured out eventually and then I'll know where we go from here.  I've been reading In Her Name this morning and just when I think it can't get any better...... it does!!  More cardiologist appts this upcoming week..... and I'll be reading!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
Thanks, Mike! The cardiologist has me going for testing and they'll get this figured out eventually and then I'll know where we go from here. I've been reading In Her Name this morning and just when I think it can't get any better...... it does!! More cardiologist appts this upcoming week..... and I'll be reading!!
Yikes! Well, hope it's nothing too serious - and as long as he says the book isn't the cause! ;D

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.