Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, peeps! Thanks mostly to Jan, here are this week's questions... ;D

Chapter 24

What did you think when Reza shared the blood bond with Nicole?

Did you have a suspicion of who was sabotaging Reza's combat armor?

Chapter 25

Do you think you would have had the courage to do what Eustus did to save Reza?

What were your impressions after the exchange between Jodi and Thorella in the command bunker?

Chapter 26

What did you think of Reza's rationale for not trying to get out of his assignment to the Red Legion?

Chapter 27

Nicole's getting married. Did you expect that? What do you think will become of Jodi?

Were you surprised at what happened after the wedding??

Does the last line of this chapter, spoken by Father Hernandez, give you hope that Reza and Esah-Zhurah will be reunited: He stopped then, turning his attention again toward the sky and the invisible stars beyond. "Or the prodigal son who is yet to return
home?"

Chapter 28

What were your first impressions of Erlang? Of the Mallorys and Raniers?

When Reza first arrived there, were you wondering how it fit into the bigger story, or were you just riding along to see where Mike's fingers took you? ;) [You can tell when Jan writes these questions, can't you? - MRH]

Chapter 29

Were you surprised by the news from Jodi about Father Hernandez at the beginning of the chapter? How did you feel about what she said happened? Here's what she said:
Father Hernandez died two days ago in Rome, here on Earth...

What are your impressions of Enya?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Chapter 24

It was all he could give her, and poor Reza, he needed to share a blood bond with someone.

Oh, yeah. Resident bad guy. Surprised that he disappeared for so long after that.

Chapter 25

Heavens, no. But then, I'm not a Confederation Marine ... with good reason

What were your impressions after the exchange between Jodi and Thorella in the command bunker?

Have to reread that part.

Chapter 26

What did you think of Reza's rationale for not trying to get out of his assignment to the Red Legion?

Have to reread that part, too. But just off the top of my head, Reza is an honorable guy and has been trained from a very young age to follow orders.

Chapter 27

Nicole's getting married. Did you expect that? What do you think will become of Jodi?

No. Didn't expect that at all. Had to think for a minute who Tony was, but it came back. Jodi will be godmother and "Aunt" Jodi to their kids.

Yes, definitely, but happy for them both.

Does the last line of this chapter, spoken by Father Hernandez, give you hope that Reza and Esah-Zhurah will be reunited?

When you ask a question like this, could you post the quote so I don't have to do a search?

Chapter 28

Much more than the Hatfields and the McCoys. I'm glad you gave us the background. The Raniers were much more sophisticated than the Mallorys and easily took over. I'm not sure all the Raniers are as bad as they appear to be.

When Reza first arrived there, were you wondering how it fit into the bigger story, or were you just riding along to see where Mike's fingers took you? ;) [You can tell when Jan writes these questions, can't you? - MRH]

Did you read my mind? Yes, at first, then I just went along for the ride.

Chapter 29

Were you surprised by the news Jodi delivered at the beginning of the chapter? How did you feel about what she said happened?

Could use another quote, here.

Intelligent lady with a mind of her own. She thinks very clearly and is not afraid to act on her decisions.

I'm on Chapter 39. shhhhhhh

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Does the last line of this chapter, spoken by Father Hernandez, give you hope that Reza and Esah-Zhurah will be reunited: He stopped then, turning his attention again toward the sky and the invisible stars beyond. "Or the prodigal son who is yet to return
home?"

Ah, yes. Thanks for the quote. Yes, it does give me hope. It also shows that Father Hernandez is more open-minded than I originally thought.

Were you surprised by the news from Jodi about Father Hernandez at the beginning of the chapter? How did you feel about what she said happened? Here's what she said:
Father Hernandez died two days ago in Rome, here on Earth...

I was disappointed that we didn't see more of him. I thought there would be more interaction between Hernandez and Reza. I thought he might help integrate Reza back into human society.

kreelanwarrior said:
More commentary later - just about time to hit the sack!
Me, too. It's past my bedtime.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have to hit the hay myself so will write my answers tomorrow. Just wanted to have a posting here so it will show up in my reply list.

Enjoyed your answers Gertie. Several of them I can say Dito to.....more on that tomorrow :)

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gertiekindle said:
I was disappointed that we didn't see more of him. I thought there would be more interaction between Hernandez and Reza. I thought he might help integrate Reza back into human society.
Yeah, a number of folks have commented on that. I suppose if I were to completely do the story over again he would play a larger role, because he certainly was an important influence on Reza. Bad fingers!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Yeah, a number of folks have commented on that. I suppose if I were to completely do the story over again he would play a larger role, because he certainly was an important influence on Reza. Bad fingers!
And JKR wants to rewrite all the Potter books. Don't second guess yourself. Your fingers wrote what they were supposed to write. Reza didn't really need to reintegrate with the humans. He only needed to be human enough to fight on their side, which he did.

I have now officially joined the 2:30am Klub (2:45, actually). Yes, I finished it early this morning, and was too tired to drive my granddaughter to school or me to the doctors. Bad Gertie. :mad:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gertiekindle said:
And JKR wants to rewrite all the Potter books. Don't second guess yourself. Your fingers wrote what they were supposed to write. Reza didn't really need to reintegrate with the humans. He only needed to be human enough to fight on their side, which he did.

I have now officially joined the 2:30am Klub (2:45, actually). Yes, I finished it early this morning, and was too tired to drive my granddaughter to school or me to the doctors. Bad Gertie. :mad:
Good heavens! Either it was really good or really bad! LOL! Well, get a good night's rest... ;D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Another great week of reading!
     I'm not sure why.... but I was so disappointed that Reza and Jodi "succumbed" after the wedding.  I know they were both distraught.... but since Reza refused to have sex with Nicole - his first love - I didn't want him to give in with Jodi who meant less to him.
     I was totally happy with Father Hernandez' words at the end of the wedding!!  Hope.... there is hope....
     I saw Erlang as a place where the Raniers are lining their pockets through the sweat of the Mallorys.  And I think the Raniers are enjoying their "power trip" and dominance at the expense of the Mallorys.  It reminded me of slavery in our own country's history.  I was wondering how Erlang was going to fit into the rest of our story, but knowing that Mike's fingers have a mind of their own.... I was willing to follow where they lead.   :eek:
     Enya has me intrigued..... another strong female in a position of leadership.  With Reza's history of being raised in a female dominated society, I think he immediately respected Enya and her position with the Mallorys and didn't question whether or not this female truly spoke for the Mallorys.
    And..... I loved the scene where the Marines did "cosmetic surgery" on Belisle's own personal Mt. Rushmore!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
Another great week of reading!
I'm not sure why.... but I was so disappointed that Reza and Jodi "succumbed" after the wedding. I know they were both distraught.... but since Reza refused to have sex with Nicole - his first love - I didn't want him to give in with Jodi who meant less to him.
Those darn fingers again! ;D

Both of them were really suffering some serious emotional trauma at this point: Jodi was heartbroken at Nicole marrying, and guilt-stricken at how she'd behaved at the wedding; Reza felt like his emotional lifeline to Nicole had been cut, and his sense of loneliness was overpowering. Mix all that together with Jodi's headstrong personality...

And I don't necessarily think that Jodi meant less to him than Nicole. I think it's more akin to the different types of love he might show a sister and a close friend. While he shared a special bond with Nicole, Jodi in many ways was his closest friend (aside from Eustus, of course), and he loved them both very deeply.

I was totally happy with Father Hernandez' words at the end of the wedding!! Hope.... there is hope....
;D

I saw Erlang as a place where the Raniers are lining their pockets through the sweat of the Mallorys. And I think the Raniers are enjoying their "power trip" and dominance at the expense of the Mallorys. It reminded me of slavery in our own country's history. I was wondering how Erlang was going to fit into the rest of our story, but knowing that Mike's fingers have a mind of their own.... I was willing to follow where they lead. :eek:
Erlang has turned out to be a bit of an interesting aspect of the book. I never would have expected it, but a couple of reviewers, particularly The Book Smugglers, would have liked that part of the book beefed up to learn more about the backstory and the history of the political struggle there.

Enya has me intrigued..... another strong female in a position of leadership. With Reza's history of being raised in a female dominated society, I think he immediately respected Enya and her position with the Mallorys and didn't question whether or not this female truly spoke for the Mallorys.
Enya is tough. Like most of the other characters in the book, she's had to endure a lot in her life. But - like Reza's time on Hallmark - most of the abuse has been from humans...

And..... I loved the scene where the Marines did "cosmetic surgery" on Belisle's own personal Mt. Rushmore!
BOOM! One of the reasons I love tanks... ;D

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Stayed up till one again reading this last night....Couldn't stop myself from reading that extra chapter!

Several surprises this week.  Nicole getting married--didn't expect that.  I kept thinking she would play a larger role in Reza's life, kind of like Jodi has.  Also surprised that Father Hernandez died...on Earth.  I also expected more out of him.  Can't remember if the first scene in the book (with Reza's parents) took place on Earth.  It's interesting that Jodi, Nicole and Tony are all there, too.  Maybe we'll see more of future Earth?

Erlang's history seemed very realistic to me--given the circumstances of the two populations, what has happened seems a likely outcome.  Like others, I loved the part where Reza blew up the megalomaniac's face.  Maybe there are also huge statues scattered throughout Erlang that Reza can go around blowing up as well?

I had to chuckle when Reza referred to human politics as "a dark art", (K9593)  but I admit I'm looking forward to see how Reza deals with whatever Borge has in store for him. 8)

N :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Both of them were really suffering some serious emotional trauma at this point: Jodi was heartbroken at Nicole marrying, and guilt-stricken at how she'd behaved at the wedding; Reza felt like his emotional lifeline to Nicole had been cut, and his sense of loneliness was overpowering. Mix all that together with Jodi's headstrong personality...
That's pretty much the way I felt about it. It's really a blood-tie between Reza and Nicole. They are linked physically as well as emotionally. Hmmm, maybe Nicole's honeymoon passion linked itself to Reza and that's why he was overwhelmed. ;) Jodi may have also been feeling that blood-tie and sleeping with Reza is the closest she could ever get to Nicole.

Enya is tough. Like most of the other characters in the book, she's had to endure a lot in her life. But - like Reza's time on Hallmark - most of the abuse has been from humans...
There are things I want to say about Enya, but can't without spoiling. And I know we're a group of peekers, so I won't even put spoiler tags.

BOOM! One of the reasons I love tanks... ;D
I was thinking as I was reading
the final battle
that you probably served in the Navy.

Neekeebee said:
I had to chuckle when Reza referred to human politics as "a dark art", (K9593) but I admit I'm looking forward to see how Reza deals with whatever Borge has in store for him. 8)

Borge and Thorella. You know that bad guy has to show up again.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neekeebee said:
Stayed up till one again reading this last night....Couldn't stop myself from reading that extra chapter!
Ahhh! Crazy night-owls! ;D

Several surprises this week. Nicole getting married--didn't expect that. I kept thinking she would play a larger role in Reza's life, kind of like Jodi has. Also surprised that Father Hernandez died...on Earth. I also expected more out of him. Can't remember if the first scene in the book (with Reza's parents) took place on Earth. It's interesting that Jodi, Nicole and Tony are all there, too. Maybe we'll see more of future Earth?
Without giving anything away, you'll see that while at this point Nicole and Reza don't seem extraordinarily close (in terms of how much their relationship is a focus), she plays an extremely important role later...

The book opened with the battle for New Constantinople, which - in my mind's eye - was something of a melting pot of immigrants, mostly from the Mediterranean region. But you'll get a bit of a glimpse of Earth in not too long...

Erlang's history seemed very realistic to me--given the circumstances of the two populations, what has happened seems a likely outcome. Like others, I loved the part where Reza blew up the megalomaniac's face. Maybe there are also huge statues scattered throughout Erlang that Reza can go around blowing up as well?
Well, it would be rather fun to drive a several hundred ton tank around and blast things willy-nilly! ;D

I had to chuckle when Reza referred to human politics as "a dark art", (K9593) but I admit I'm looking forward to see how Reza deals with whatever Borge has in store for him. 8)
I'm not gonna say a word... Ha!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gertiekindle said:
That's pretty much the way I felt about it. It's really a blood-tie between Reza and Nicole. They are linked physically as well as emotionally. Hmmm, maybe Nicole's honeymoon passion linked itself to Reza and that's why he was overwhelmed. ;) Jodi may have also been feeling that blood-tie and sleeping with Reza is the closest she could ever get to Nicole.
Yeah, I don't really have an explanation for the whys. But putting myself in Reza's shoes, particularly after having experienced the Bloodsong and then being cut off from it, "loneliness" would have a completely new definition. And that would make sense, that his tie to Nicole would echo what she was feeling, since it was largely an empathic bond to begin with.

There are things I want to say about Enya, but can't without spoiling. And I know we're a group of peekers, so I won't even put spoiler tags.
Well, there is always the spoiler thread! ;)

I was thinking as I was reading
the final battle
that you probably served in the Navy.
Oddly enough, mine was a "Navy family" with my grandfather, father, and his brother all bobbing around like corks on the water. I didn't like the prospect of being on a tin-can in the middle of a big puddle of water, so I joined the Army. Had I to do it all over again, though, I would've joined the Marines, so I could have the worst of both worlds! ;D

Borge and Thorella. You know that bad guy has to show up again.
Yes, unfortunately... :(

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Without giving anything away, you'll see that while at this point Nicole and Reza don't seem extraordinarily close (in terms of how much their relationship is a focus), she plays an extremely important role later...

The book opened with the battle for New Constantinople, which - in my mind's eye - was something of a melting pot of immigrants, mostly from the Mediterranean region. But you'll get a bit of a glimpse of Earth in not too long...
Great! I'm looking forward to seeing more of Nicole and of future Earth!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Chapter 24

Ditto to Gertie's answer

Big ditto to Gertie's answer

Chapter 25

Maybe if I had had some training and that was my friend out there.

So don't like that guy. Can't believe he got away with trying to kill Reza.

Chapter 26

I don't think Reza wanted any special treatment. He didn't want anyone to be able to say he got his commission because who he was. He's been through so much he knew he would be ok and could do the job.

Chapter 27

Yes. Once Reza helped soften her heart I was sure she would meet someone. Jodi knew she would never have Nicole. Nicole was always up front about their relationship. I think Jodi will still be close to Nicole.

Nope, with all the pain they were both in I can understand. Though I was disappointed in Reza for giving in but very understandable.

Does the last line of this chapter, spoken by Father Hernandez, give you hope that Reza and Esah-Zhurah will be reunited?

Yep, and seemed very apropoe. ::)

Chapter 28

I believe the Raniers were like frogs in a pot. They just kept giving in and making conssessions over the years and didn't realize they were being boiled. The Mallorys got very comfortable and power hungry with each consession getting fat on others work. I do believe there were some on both sides that wanted better for each other but not sure what to do.

Had to be a 'bigger' reason as to why they were going there. Something was up but didn't expect what it was (I mean the alien part)

Chapter 29

Were you surprised by the news Jodi delivered at the beginning of the chapter? How did you feel about what she said happened?

Was very sadden to hear but happy that he passes in Rome and he got to see more of the 'world' before going.

She had guts. She new concession's and talking wasn't going to get them anywere. ditto to Gertie's answer too.

Sorry to take so long in getting my answers up. Seems easier to be on the computer when I was working than now that i'm sitting around home LOL. Always finding tons of other things to do and only stay on here for a very short time each day. Hope you are all enjoying the book. I really did!

theresam

1 - 20 of 33 Posts