Kindle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
oops - well guess I can see I will have to go back and look up some of the answers - that's what I get for doing too many book klubs, here and DTV.

okay - later although Gertie does do a pretty good job of reading my mind!  ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I believe the Raniers were like frogs in a pot. They just kept giving in and making conssessions over the years and didn't realize they were being boiled. The Mallorys got very comfortable and power hungry with each consession getting fat on others work. I do believe there were some on both sides that wanted better for each other but not sure what to do.
"Frogs in a pot..." - that's a great one, I'll have to remember that! :)

But yeah, rather true: the Raniers are - more or less - the "bad guys," but the Mallorys did let themselves get led down the garden path. But like so many other things, it was a culture clash after the Raniers arrived, only one that simmered slowly over a long period of time before erupting.

I'll have the questions for this week up tomorrow - Jan and I have been feverishly trying to get our latest project up and running. Aaack! So many things to do, so little time!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Anju said:
oops - well guess I can see I will have to go back and look up some of the answers - that's what I get for doing too many book klubs, here and DTV.

okay - later although Gertie does do a pretty good job of reading my mind! ;)
LOL! Yeah, Gertie's all over it! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
gertiekindle said:
Awww, Anju. You remembered.

Mike, where are you? What's this project you and Jan are working on? Something we can read? (hope, hope)
You can all star in the movie, blue or not! ;D

And I apologize for being late - still! Jan did most of the questions, but I need to do some, and I'm still trying to get this other site up! It's not a book-ish site, but some may hopefully find it of interest (and since you asked! LOL!) - www.FitClubToday.com.

Dang, it's almost 1030. Lemme see if I can get these questions done, since I've still got too much work on the other site to finish tonight. AAAAACK!

·
Super Moderator
67,702 Posts
Just finished chapter 29. . . .please note I am reading faster. . . well, I was off work today with pretty much nothing on TV but basketball and 2 weeks of laundry to get done. . . but I digress.

Wedding:  not too surprised. . . . .I figured Nicole would find someone when it became clear that she'd never 'get' Reza.  But it did present a problem for Reza. . . .though he's happy for her, when she was un-attached she worked better as a vent for his lonliness for EZ.  It seems like she was able to share some of his sadness, though not consciously, which helped him handle.  Once he realized that he couldn't ask that of her any more and took it all back onto himself it was like a newly re-opened wound with some salt rubbed in just for good measure.  I did figure Jodi and Reza would get together. . . .I sorta thought he'd share blood with her to begin husing her as his outlet.  But maybe the sex accomplished roughly the same thing.

I absolutely loved when he made the Commander salute him because he wore the medal of honor.  So cool! . . . .pretty clear you're from a military family.

Only right that Eustus saved Reza. . . . .you could see how far he'd come after their initial meeting. . . .I thought the whole 'get the in-fighting out of your system thing' was interesting too. . . .  I was impressed with the guy who didn't have a beef but just wanted to try it on against Reza as test for himself. . . .you could tell Reza totally understood and respected him for it. . . it was a lot like the challenges he went through with the Kreelan.

I'm thinking at some point Reza will have to get back to EZ. . . .somehow humans and Kreelans have to learn to understand each other and he's definitely the catalyst for that.  It will be interesting to see how it happens. . . . .Of course, at some point, he'll have to take care of Thorella and his puppet master Borge (Is that name meant to  conjure up Lucretia Borgia et al, by any chance) too. . . .

off to read some more. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Wedding: not too surprised. . . . .I figured Nicole would find someone when it became clear that she'd never 'get' Reza. But it did present a problem for Reza. . . .though he's happy for her, when she was un-attached she worked better as a vent for his lonliness for EZ. It seems like she was able to share some of his sadness, though not consciously, which helped him handle. Once he realized that he couldn't ask that of her any more and took it all back onto himself it was like a newly re-opened wound with some salt rubbed in just for good measure. I did figure Jodi and Reza would get together. . . .I sorta thought he'd share blood with her to begin husing her as his outlet. But maybe the sex accomplished roughly the same thing.
Yeah, talk about being lonely - both Reza and Jodi! :( I don't think he did the blood bond with her because it was such an over the top thing to have done with a "human" in the first place. Making love with Jodi took the edge off and I think helped him pack all the emotional baggage back into the trunk for a while...

I absolutely loved when he made the Commander salute him because he wore the medal of honor. So cool! . . . .pretty clear you're from a military family.
My dad's father, my dad, and his brother were all in the Navy. I joined the Army. Didn't want to get eaten by sharks! ;D

Only right that Eustus saved Reza. . . . .you could see how far he'd come after their initial meeting. . . .I thought the whole 'get the in-fighting out of your system thing' was interesting too. . . . I was impressed with the guy who didn't have a beef but just wanted to try it on against Reza as test for himself. . . .you could tell Reza totally understood and respected him for it. . . it was a lot like the challenges he went through with the Kreelan.
Washington Hawthorne. Human tree. You'll see him more later...

I'm thinking at some point Reza will have to get back to EZ. . . .somehow humans and Kreelans have to learn to understand each other and he's definitely the catalyst for that. It will be interesting to see how it happens. . . . .Of course, at some point, he'll have to take care of Thorella and his puppet master Borge (Is that name meant to conjure up Lucretia Borgia et al, by any chance) too. . . .
You'll just have to wait and seeeeeee... ;D As for Borge vs. Borgia, I never consciously thought of it, but you never know what my dastardly fingers will type when writing a story!

·
Super Moderator
67,702 Posts
One other thing I wanted to add. . .I think I noticed a time-line disconnect. . . or maybe I just wasn't paying attention, and maybe I have the 'old' version before you fixed things. :)

When Reza gets to Erlanger it is mentioned that it's been a year since the wedding.  Later on, there's a comment about how he hasn't seen Jodi (I think) in several years. . . . .oops.  If it has been several years, one would think maybe he'd made Major by now.  :)  OTOH, Thorella  is apparently a Colonel (he comes back in chapter 33 or so?) which seems like quick promotion if it's only been 7 years (6 from basic training to Nicole's wedding and then one more).  Of course, he's got higher ups pulling strings for him. . . . .

I AM enjoying the story. . . .hope to finish to 39 today and post in the next thread. . . . :D

Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
One other thing I wanted to add. . .I think I noticed a time-line disconnect. . . or maybe I just wasn't paying attention, and maybe I have the 'old' version before you fixed things. :)

When Reza gets to Erlanger it is mentioned that it's been a year since the wedding. Later on, there's a comment about how he hasn't seen Jodi (I think) in several years. . . . .oops. If it has been several years, one would think maybe he'd made Major by now. :) OTOH, Thorella is apparently a Colonel (he comes back in chapter 33 or so?) which seems like quick promotion if it's only been 7 years (6 from basic training to Nicole's wedding and then one more). Of course, he's got higher ups pulling strings for him. . . . .

I AM enjoying the story. . . .hope to finish to 39 today and post in the next thread. . . . :D

Ann
Thanks, Ann! Yes, there's a timeline discontinuity there. I marked those from an earlier pass through the book and will have them fixed soon. Dang fingers, can't add worth beans! ;D

As for Thorella's meteoric rise in rank, that's no mistake: he *does* have somebody pulling lots of strings, the bugger...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.