Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, folks, here's the next batch of questions, chapters 40-48:

Why do you think the captain of the Furious was so worried about going into the "nebula" at the beginning of the chapter?

What did you think of the planet inside the mist, and the Marines' pursuit of the Kreelans onto - and into - the planet?

Were you surprised by Shera-Khan's appearance - his gender, his appearance, his very existence?

Any thoughts on what the significance might be of Tesh Dar being the one to safeguard Shera Khan?

If we were in the universe and time of the book, what would your thoughts be on weapons such as the kryolon torpedoes?

How would you feel if you discovered that the civilization you were locked in mortal combat with was a hundred thousand years old?

Were you surprised to learn that Thorella is really Strom Borge's son? It's hard to imagine someone more diabolicol than Thorella, but with what you know now of Borge, who do you think is worse, Thorella or Borge? Why?

Do you think that Admiral Zhukovski ever slept? ;D

What do you think about the relationship of the two senior admirals - Zhukovski and L'Houillier?

How did you feel when President Nathan was murdered?

Any comments on the revelations Tanya Buchet makes to Jodi?

Who was happy to see Dr. Rabat get her just desserts? <raise your hand!> And what did you think of her demise??

What did you think of the Golden Pearl? Wouldn't it be nice to be that rich?? ;D

How did you feel as Shera-Khan explained to Eustus what was happening in the Empire, and to the new Empress?

Eustus has to make a choice about the orders he is given: to kill Reza and Jodi. Did you agree with his rationale for not following orders?

How did you feel at Reza's first meeting with his son, Shera-Khan, after he and Jodi made their way to the trap set for them at Erlang?

What did you think when Tesh-Dar told Reza what had happened during the ascension, and the mass suicide of those on the Empress Moon attempting to save the Empress?

And what of the refusal by Jodi and Eustus to help Reza reach the Empress and save her?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Jiminy Cricket, Mike, you need to change the title of this thread from 3/8 to 3/15.  Had a problem finding it.

I'm holding off on answering.  I've got a miserable cold and I can barely stop coughing.  Besides, I'll let Theresa answer first so I can say "ditto."  :D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gertiekindle said:
Jiminy Cricket, Mike, you need to change the title of this thread from 3/8 to 3/15. Had a problem finding it.
Gack! I always mess up on something on these things. Grr. I tried to cross-post the link to the most active threads (what few remain!).

I'm holding off on answering. I've got a miserable cold and I can barely stop coughing. Besides, I'll let Theresa answer first so I can say "ditto." :D
Sorry you're not feeling good! Hope ya get better soon!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Jiminy Cricket, Mike, you need to change the title of this thread from 3/8 to 3/15. Had a problem finding it.

I'm holding off on answering. I've got a miserable cold and I can barely stop coughing. Besides, I'll let Theresa answer first so I can say "ditto." :D
Gertie - so sorry you are puny! I am trying to be good and not put "ditto" but I am having problems just keeping up right now! I keep thinking I am going to drop out, but just can't do it! This book is even better the second time ::)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anju said:
Gertie - so sorry you are puny! I am trying to be good and not put "ditto" but I am having problems just keeping up right now! I keep thinking I am going to drop out, but just can't do it! This book is even better the second time ::)
The second time??? :eek:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
The second time??? :eek:
I read straight through - I was one of the 2 - 2:30 am readers, couldn't put the durn thing down, luckily I started on a day where I had nothing planned the next morning, but still woke up at 6:30 am ::) But in order to do the book klub want to be sure I remembered and didn't do any spoilers!

Want ANOTHER book!!! PLEASE :-*

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anju - No. 469 said:
I read straight through - I was one of the 2 - 2:30 am readers, couldn't put the durn thing down, luckily I started on a day where I had nothing planned the next morning, but still woke up at 6:30 am ::) But in order to do the book klub want to be sure I remembered and didn't do any spoilers!
LOL! Book addiction. It's a terrible thing... ;D

Want ANOTHER book!!! PLEASE :-*
Well, the next one out is probably going to be a vampire book. But probably not much like most of the other vampire books out there... 8)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I was looking for a picture of someone sneezing into a tissue, I was going to offer some tissue, but I found that pic and couldn't resist...

Seriously, hope Gertie is feeling better soon, we miss her!!!!

Betsy

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Betsy the Quilter AKA Agent 72 said:
I was looking for a picture of someone sneezing into a tissue, I was going to offer some tissue, but I found that pic and couldn't resist...

Seriously, hope Gertie is feeling better soon, we miss her!!!!

Betsy
I'll offer up the Kool Atomic Hat if it'll make her feel better... :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Gertie.... you take care of yourself!!  DH has been in bed for three days with a cold/cough/respiratory ugliness.

I have now joined the ranks of the "I was only going to read a chapter or two and could not put my Kindle down until I finished In Her Name" group.  What an incredibly excellent read!!  I can't wait to read it again.... and there aren't many books that fall into that category for me.  I'll try to carve out some time tomorrow to address this week's questions.  I'm behind on my other book klubs, behind on my housework, behind on my sleep, behind on everything since I did very little yesterday (after work) other than read In Her Name until the wee hours of the night.  Was it worth every single minute of reading...... oh yeah!!!  And then some.......

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Thanks for all the good wishes, folks. I decided to add on a stomach virus on top of the cold. Nine and a half hours sleep last night and I'm feeling a little more human.

Mike, your offer of the Kool Atomic Hat is touching. I reread the chapters last night and you definitely deserve the hat.

Why do you think the captain of the Furious was so worried about going into the "nebula" at the beginning of the chapter?

These are very experienced space travelers, and they knew there was something off about that nebula.

What did you think of the planet inside the mist, and the Marines' pursuit of the Kreelans onto - and into - the planet?

Nerve-wracking. By the family trees carved into the walls, I'm assuming it's a very ancient, very sacred place.

Were you surprised by Shera-Khan's appearance - his gender, his appearance, his very existence?

Didn't Esah-Zhurah hint at that after she thought she had killed Reza? No, I wasn't surprised. I knew after the final scenes in the temple of the Desh-Ka that Esah-Zhurah was pregnant. Had to be.

Any thoughts on what the significance might be of Tesh Dar being the one to safeguard Shera Khan?

Tesh Dar is not only a powerful high priestess and warrior, but she is close family. She came to view Reza as her son and made him a warrior-priest. Shera Khan would be very precious to her.

If we were in the universe and time of the book, what would your thoughts be on weapons such as the kryolon torpedoes?

The kind of weapon that would destroy everything in its path, including those who launched it.

How would you feel if you discovered that the civilization you were locked in mortal combat with was a hundred thousand years old?

Just because a civilization is ancient doesn't make it better; just stronger. It would make me wonder if we had any chance at all of survival against them.

Were you surprised to learn that Thorella is really Strom Borge's son? It's hard to imagine someone more diabolicol than Thorella, but with what you know now of Borge, who do you think is worse, Thorella or Borge? Why?

Big surprise. Borge is worse. In the midst of death and destruction, he switches his son's identity with the real Marcus. Then he subjects him to brainwashing, through his good buddy, Dr. Rabat, and uses him as a killing machine. The bonus is he gets his hands on the Thorella fortune.

Do you think that Admiral Zhukovski ever slept? ;D

;D ;D

What do you think about the relationship of the two senior admirals - Zhukovski and L'Houillier?

They are two very experienced officers that have respect for the others experience and opinion.

Surprised and appalled.

Any comments on the revelations Tanya Buchet makes to Jodi?

Another link in the interweaving chain.

Who was happy to see Dr. Rabat get her just desserts? <raise your hand!> And what did you think of her demise??

Suitably biblical.

What did you think of the Golden Pearl? Wouldn't it be nice to be that rich?? ;D

Gorgeous. Did riches bring Tanya happiness?

How did you feel as Shera-Khan explained to Eustus what was happening in the Empire, and to the new Empress?

We know that the prophecy was close to being fulfilled with the discovery of Keel Tath's tomb. Now it appears that it's too late to save the Empire.

Eustus has to make a choice about the orders he is given: to kill Reza and Jodi. Did you agree with his rationale for not following orders?

Yes, I agree. Someone, somewhere has to make a stand against a government and military out of control.

How did you feel at Reza's first meeting with his son, Shera-Khan, after he and Jodi made their way to the trap set for them at Erlang?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

What did you think when Tesh-Dar told Reza what had happened during the ascension, and the mass suicide of those on the Empress Moon attempting to save the Empress?

I think it showed the Kreelans' complete devotion to the Empress and the Way.

And what of the refusal by Jodi and Eustus to help Reza reach the Empress and save her?

Reza is not the enemy but the Empire is. No matter how much sympathy we may feel for the Kreela, they have been involved in the mass extermination of humans for a century.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gertiekindle said:
Thanks for all the good wishes, folks. I decided to add on a stomach virus on top of the cold. Nine and a half hours sleep last night and I'm feeling a little more human.
Good heavens! Talk about "over-achieving"! :(

Mike, your offer of the Kool Atomic Hat is touching. I reread the chapters last night and you definitely deserve the hat.
;D

These are very experienced space travelers, and they knew there was something off about that nebula.
Yes, I wonder how the Kreelans did that! ;D

Nerve-wracking. By the family trees carved into the walls, I'm assuming it's a very ancient, very sacred place.
It's one of the nursery worlds, the one where Shera-Khan was born. The trees show the lineage of every female Kreelan born - all the way back to Keel-Tath...

Didn't Esah-Zhurah hint at that after she thought she had killed Reza? No, I wasn't surprised. I knew after the final scenes in the temple of the Desh-Ka that Esah-Zhurah was pregnant. Had to be.
Well, not *everything* can be a surprise! ;D

Just because a civilization is ancient doesn't make it better; just stronger. It would make me wonder if we had any chance at all of survival against them.
Technically, the humans never would have had a chance if the Empire simply wanted to destroy them. While it wasn't ever stated in any detail, the Confederation is made up of maybe a few hundred worlds altogether (most of which are smaller colonies, like Erlang). The Empire, on the other hand, spanned "ten thousand suns..."

Big surprise. Borge is worse. In the midst of death and destruction, he switches his son's identity with the real Marcus. Then he subjects him to brainwashing, through his good buddy, Dr. Rabat, and uses him as a killing machine. The bonus is he gets his hands on the Thorella fortune.
Yes, as bad as Thorella is, he's really only a product of his father's evil. Scumball.

Surprised and appalled.
:(

Suitably biblical.
You and your pictures! LOL! ;D

Gorgeous. Did riches bring Tanya happiness?
"All that glitters, is not gold..." I wouldn't mind having a ship like that. Heck, I wouldn't mind being the steward on a ship like that! LOL!

We know that the prophecy was close to being fulfilled with the discovery of Keel Tath's tomb. Now it appears that it's too late to save the Empire.
Yeah, I sort of wish we had the entire prophecy - how much would it really say about what was to happen? And even if something's in the prophecy, does that guarantee that it'll happen?

Yes, I agree. Someone, somewhere has to make a stand against a government and military out of control.
Well, the government was certainly out of control, all right! D'oh!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Awwww...

I think it showed the Kreelans' complete devotion to the Empress and the Way.
I think it was also a very physical, a very visceral experience for them - having the Empress's "voice" silenced would have been like having their hearts torn out... :(

Reza is not the enemy but the Empire is. No matter how much sympathy we may feel for the Kreela, they have been involved in the mass extermination of humans for a century.
Yeah, that sort of put a big damper on the reunion, such as it was...!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I think I'm back among the living, but life seems to have passed me by. I've got a lot of catching up to do, so I still won't be around much for a few days.

kreelanwarrior said:
Yeah, I sort of wish we had the entire prophecy - how much would it really say about what was to happen? And even if something's in the prophecy, does that guarantee that it'll happen?
Forewarned is forearmed? Sometimes. I think there's a difference between a prediction and a prophecy. The seer predicts that I will be in a car accident tomorrow, so I stay home. If I had gone out, would I have been in a car accident? Maybe in an alternate reality ... We'll never know.

The prophecy was really part of the curse, wasn't it? The prophecy was more "this has to happen before this can happen." Reza has to fight "what's his name" but that's no guarantee he's going to win or that he can reach Esah Zhurah in time, or even that he will fight. Free will always comes in to play.

I think it was also a very physical, a very visceral experience for them - having the Empress's "voice" silenced would have been like having their hearts torn out... :(
Reza certainly knew what that was like.

Did you say that your next book is going to be vampires? Too bad. I don't do vampires.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gertiekindle said:
I think I'm back among the living, but life seems to have passed me by. I've got a lot of catching up to do, so I still won't be around much for a few days.
Glad to hear it! Being really sick sucks... :(

Forewarned is forearmed? Sometimes. I think there's a difference between a prediction and a prophecy. The seer predicts that I will be in a car accident tomorrow, so I stay home. If I had gone out, would I have been in a car accident? Maybe in an alternate reality ... We'll never know.

The prophecy was really part of the curse, wasn't it? The prophecy was more "this has to happen before this can happen." Reza has to fight "what's his name" but that's no guarantee he's going to win or that he can reach Esah Zhurah in time, or even that he will fight. Free will always comes in to play.
Good points! Yes, there has to be free will, because - as in Reza's case - nothing is forcing him to do what he needs to do other than his own motivations. As when he was growing up in the kazha, he had no knowledge of the prophecy to influence his actions (nor did Esah-Zhurah, for that matter).

Reza certainly knew what that was like.
Indeed! Ow!

Did you say that your next book is going to be vampires? Too bad. I don't do vampires.
Oh, Gertie! No disrespect at all to the folks who enjoy the current sort of "Southern vampire" type stories, Twilight, etc., but this is completely different. If you didn't enjoy it, it probably would have nothing to do with the fact that vampires were involved. Keep in mind who's fingers are writing it! ;D
[/quote]

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Oh, Gertie! No disrespect at all to the folks who enjoy the current sort of "Southern vampire" type stories, Twilight, etc., but this is completely different. If you didn't enjoy it, it probably would have nothing to do with the fact that vampires were involved. Keep in mind who's fingers are writing it! ;D
Sorry, anything that sucks blood turns me off, whether it's Angel or Angelus. I don't read thrillers or horror or anything like that. Even some Nora Roberts' book have upset me ... total wimp that I am.

Of course, I don't read sci-fi, either, but In Her Name doesn't have impossible names, weird worlds or outlandish scenarios. The Kreela just happen to be blue with no eyebrows. ::)

Your fingers do just fine. I like your style.

If I may make another of my totally unsolicited suggestions? Hah, you know me. Whether I may or not I'm going to. Keep a timeline beside you at all times as you write. That's the only real criticism I've seen, and it can be like fingernails on a blackboard to some people. As much as I love Outlander, that time discrepancy always bothers me. She should never have allowed the UK version to be changed.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gertiekindle said:
Sorry, anything that sucks blood turns me off, whether it's Angel or Angelus. I don't read thrillers or horror or anything like that. Even some Nora Roberts' book have upset me ... total wimp that I am.

Of course, I don't read sci-fi, either, but In Her Name doesn't have impossible names, weird worlds or outlandish scenarios. The Kreela just happen to be blue with no eyebrows. ::)

Your fingers do just fine. I like your style.
Okay, okay - I'll try to get to the next Kreelan novel as soon as possible! ;D

If I may make another of my totally unsolicited suggestions? Hah, you know me. Whether I may or not I'm going to. Keep a timeline beside you at all times as you write. That's the only real criticism I've seen, and it can be like fingernails on a blackboard to some people. As much as I love Outlander, that time discrepancy always bothers me. She should never have allowed the UK version to be changed.
Suggestions are ALWAYS appreciated - I'll never improve, otherwise! And that's an excellent suggestion, and in fact is what I'm doing with the current project. I'm also going to go back and fix what I hope are the remaining timeline bloopers in IHN (mainly involving Erlang).

What happened with Outlander?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
What happened with Outlander?
Outlander starts in April, 1945 in Scotland. When DG published in the U.K., they told her that the conditions she described in Scotland were present in 1946, not 1945. So for the very few people who knew that, Cross Stitch (Outlander) started in 1946. That threw off the timeline in DiA. The American publishers wouldn't make the change in Outlander.

So, DiA starts in 1968, when Bree is supposedly going to turn 21 that year. If Claire left Scotland in 1945 and was in the 18th Century for three years (which is stated in the book), then she would have returned in 1948. That means Bree would have turned 20 in 1968, not 21, and the year ... ooops, should stop here. That's too much of a spoiler for DiA. I know you'll eventually get around to reading it.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PraiseGod13 said:
I have now joined the ranks of the "I was only going to read a chapter or two and could not put my Kindle down until I finished In Her Name" group. What an incredibly excellent read!! I can't wait to read it again.... and there aren't many books that fall into that category for me. I'll try to carve out some time tomorrow to address this week's questions. I'm behind on my other book klubs, behind on my housework, behind on my sleep, behind on everything since I did very little yesterday (after work) other than read In Her Name until the wee hours of the night. Was it worth every single minute of reading...... oh yeah!!! And then some.......
Oh, no! Another one! I think I need to make up a T-shirt design on Zazzle for all of you wee-hour readers! ;D

And please do stay with us on the discussions - remember, you don't have to answer the questions if you don't want, just say what ya feel!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts