Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
And please do stay with us on the discussions - remember, you don't have to answer the questions if you don't want, just say what ya feel!
Yeah, my plan to say "ditto" failed miserably. Just can't keep my mouth shut. ::) Oooooh, wait. I can say "ditto" to what you just said, Mike.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
gertiekindle said:
Yeah, my plan to say "ditto" failed miserably. Just can't keep my mouth shut. ::) Oooooh, wait. I can say "ditto" to what you just said, Mike.
Yeah, ditto! LOL! ;D

<sigh> It just struck me that there are soooo many things I'd like to do and soooo little time to do it all. Dang. I could have three books written this year if I could retire early. Ahhhh...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
<sigh> It just struck me that there are soooo many things I'd like to do and soooo little time to do it all. Dang. I could have three books written this year if I could retire early. Ahhhh...
That's what you think. I feel like I have less time now that I'm retired than I did when I was working. The projects keep piling up.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Okay, okay - I'll try to get to the next Kreelan novel as soon as possible! ;D
Yes, please do! "Ditto" what Gertie said about vampire and blood for me! I can't handle any hint of the supernatural! :eek:

I must confess that I finally gave in and read ahead this week and finished the book too! I have to head out now, so will finish posting comments later, but just have to compliment you on what an excellent read this was...one I will be reading again and one that I never would have found/read without KB!

One question: Is the woman on the cover E-Z? Somehow I thought she would look different.

N :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Neekeebee said:
One question: Is the woman on the cover E-Z? Somehow I thought she would look different.

Can't be EZ. Can't even be a real Kreelan. The Kreelans have no eyebrows, just a jutting shelf of bone, they wear their hair in very long braids, have fangs and talons. I don't think that would be very attractive on a book cover.

Mike, who designed that cover and who posed for it?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gertie Kindle "Turn to Page 390" said:
Can't be EZ. Can't even be a real Kreelan. The Kreelans have no eyebrows, just a jutting shelf of bone, they wear their hair in very long braids, have fangs and talons. I don't think that would be very attractive on a book cover.

Mike, who designed that cover and who posed for it?
LOL! You guys kill me. When I told you that the book was self-published, I really meant "self-published" - I did the cover art, using my meager Photoshop skills (with some help from Jan). It's made from two stock royalty-free images: one of the alien planet-looking background, the other from a photo of a woman holding a sword that sort of struck me as being, I dunno, in tune with the novel somehow. So I figured out how to change her skin blue and fiddled a few other effects.

But yeah, she's meant to be Esah-Zhurah (before the change, obviously), but that's as close as I could get on a shoestring budget (a total of about $2.50 for the images) and no artistic talent! LOL!

Actually, when I release Book 1 as the first of a trilogy set (hopefully by next month), the cover will be much simpler, but not sure what it'll be yet... ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Neekeebee said:
Yes, please do! "Ditto" what Gertie said about vampire and blood for me! I can't handle any hint of the supernatural! :eek:
D'oh! You guys just don't trust my fingers! ;D

I must confess that I finally gave in and read ahead this week and finished the book too! I have to head out now, so will finish posting comments later, but just have to compliment you on what an excellent read this was...one I will be reading again and one that I never would have found/read without KB!
D'oh! Another member of the IHN Late Club? Glad you enjoyed it (and please consider doing a review)!! 8)

Ah, just answered that in the last post... ;D

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
A lot happened in this week's reading! :eek: (I know that I've been saying that each week for several weeks now, but it seems to be more true every time, so I have to keep saying it!) This week, it was impossible to put the book down, so I just kept reading and reading&#8230;
It did confuse me that Eustus thought Shera-Khan was a girl&#8230;was it something about his appearance or was it just that humans have only ever known female Kreelans?

As weapons, it would only make sense for a civilization to have kryolon torpedoes as a deterrent, b/c an enemy like the Kreelans would possess something equally destructive they would use. It would be like Mutually Assured Destruction: if you launch yours, we'll launch ours&#8230;.

The Thorella-Borge connection was a really unexpected twist! :eek: Until then, I thought Thorella was just being used by Borge. It seemed sad that the real Markus Thorella's name was so besmirched by the Borges, esp after Tanya described him. Father Borge is definitely the worse of the two; he is like the evil mastermind that created his monster of a son, not that Son Borge is all that innocent.

I felt like the events were happening so fast in the last part of the book (this week and next week's chapters) that I could barely keep up...kind of like I was chasing after the protagonists to see what was happening to them. All the while, I kept thinking, I have to know what happens next but I don't want to finish the book yet!

Re vampire books: I'd be willing to overcome my wimpiness if the vampires are Kreelan! ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Okay, as long as there's no throat biting and absolutely no blood sucking, I'll trust you.
Well, I can't promise you that, but I'll warn you which sections have any of that sort of thing going on! ;D

Seriously, though, the vampirism part is really a secondary aspect of the story, sort of like the traditional sci-fi aspects were secondary in IHN. And yes, this will also be - bottom line - a love story...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Well, I can't promise you that, but I'll warn you which sections have any of that sort of thing going on! ;D

Seriously, though, the vampirism part is really a secondary aspect of the story, sort of like the traditional sci-fi aspects were secondary in IHN. And yes, this will also be - bottom line - a love story...
Okay, admittedly there were some pretty gory parts in IHN, so I guess I can take a bit of vampirism as a background. I have ... what ... another four years to get used to the idea? ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Neekeebee @ LyBerry Branch 1520 said:
A lot happened in this week's reading! :eek: (I know that I've been saying that each week for several weeks now, but it seems to be more true every time, so I have to keep saying it!) This week, it was impossible to put the book down, so I just kept reading and reading&#8230;
It did confuse me that Eustus thought Shera-Khan was a girl&#8230;was it something about his appearance or was it just that humans have only ever known female Kreelans?
Well, he thought she was a girl because it simply didn't occur to him that it might be a boy. The only male Kreelans anyone had seen but Reza were the mummies of the Imperial Guard that Eustus and Enya found. But the "female-ness" of the Kreelans was just so ingrained in him (and everybody else). And since Shera-Khan's armor was so badly beaten up, there probably wasn't much to go by there, either...

As weapons, it would only make sense for a civilization to have kryolon torpedoes as a deterrent, b/c an enemy like the Kreelans would possess something equally destructive they would use. It would be like Mutually Assured Destruction: if you launch yours, we'll launch ours&#8230;.
I think the only two reasons the Confederation didn't collapse into civil war over possession of these weapons was that 1) they were kept extremely secret, and 2) the humans were totally preoccupied - and united - by the threat from the Kreelans. But I suspect that in a peacetime period the Confederation likely would have erupted into civil war over possession of the weapons if word of their existence became anything more than rumor...

The Thorella-Borge connection was a really unexpected twist! :eek: Until then, I thought Thorella was just being used by Borge. It seemed sad that the real Markus Thorella's name was so besmirched by the Borges, esp after Tanya described him. Father Borge is definitely the worse of the two; he is like the evil mastermind that created his monster of a son, not that Son Borge is all that innocent.
Yeah, talk about the ultimate megalomaniac. Had he achieved his ultimate aims, he would've put Hitler and Stalin to shame...

I felt like the events were happening so fast in the last part of the book (this week and next week's chapters) that I could barely keep up...kind of like I was chasing after the protagonists to see what was happening to them. All the while, I kept thinking, I have to know what happens next but I don't want to finish the book yet!
LOL!! ;D

Re vampire books: I'd be willing to overcome my wimpiness if the vampires are Kreelan! ;D
Well, they've already got fangs, but no taste for human blood... ;)

Like I told Gertie: I'll post a special warning section for places to skip over! LOL!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Neekeebee @ LyBerry Branch 1520 said:

I worked that out. I finished the book weeks ago, and now I'm rereading the chapters for the discussion. Gives me a good excuse to reread again so soon. ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Okay, admittedly there were some pretty gory parts in IHN, so I guess I can take a bit of vampirism as a background. I have ... what ... another four years to get used to the idea? ;D
Yeah, that's true - IHN isn't exactly a teen slice & dice story, but there was still plenty of violent hooplah! ;D

And four years? NO. These are my main goals this year:

1. Release IHN as a trilogy (will keep the original as an omnibus)
2. Do P90X
3. Run the 1/2 marathon in San Antonio in November
4. Finish the rough draft of the vampire novel by the end of the year.

I don't expect this novel to be as long as IHN. I hope (and if it is, I'll break it down into smaller books). But that all depends on my fingers!! I just need a name for it. Was thinking about "Hell's Gate," which would actually be extremely appropriate, but there are already a bazillion books with that title. Hmph...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:

Okay..... I am totally NOT a vampire novel reader.... but I had never read a sci-fi novel either. So, after totally trusting Mike, I cautiously started reading In Her Name..... and could not have enjoyed it more. So, along with Gertie, I will trust Mike again on his next novel and use any "cautions" he gives us to help us over the dicey spots. I can't imagine anyone who has read In Her Name not anxiously awaiting Mike's next book. I too will be re-reading IHN again before the next novel debuts.
Gertie..... it can't be any harder to get through than the scene with Jamie and Randall down in Wentworth's secreted room. That one about does me in every time I read it.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
OK Mike - pick a few of us (blue people preferably) to "edit", read your new novel and suggest a title.  Prize being a part in your movie of IHN  ::)

It took a little convincing of y'all to get me to read this book, afraid of monsters and dreams, and I have already finished it the second time, and got so much more out of it.  BUT I have to read something else LOL 

May not post any answers here, but then again might your questions are getting more difficult  ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
Okay..... I am totally NOT a vampire novel reader.... but I had never read a sci-fi novel either. So, after totally trusting Mike, I cautiously started reading In Her Name..... and could not have enjoyed it more. So, along with Gertie, I will trust Mike again on his next novel and use any "cautions" he gives us to help us over the dicey spots. I can't imagine anyone who has read In Her Name not anxiously awaiting Mike's next book. I too will be re-reading IHN again before the next novel debuts.
Well, blood-sucking aside, if it makes any difference the vampires in this novel aren't based on spiritual evil in the traditional sense: they're intentionally created to serve the purposes of human evil. Just as a hint, the story begins in early 1945...

Gertie..... it can't be any harder to get through than the scene with Jamie and Randall down in Wentworth's secreted room. That one about does me in every time I read it.
Yeah, there was some "vampirism" going on there! If you can make it through that (multiple times?), my next story should be a breeze... ;D

And here's just a thought: since we're having a sort of "read with the author" book club thing, maybe a "write with the author" thread? I dunno, just thinking out loud - it might be nice to have some ongoing feedback on what my fingers are coming up with (and make sure there's someone who can add!). Whatcha think?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Yeah, that's true - IHN isn't exactly a teen slice & dice story, but there was still plenty of violent hooplah! ;D

And four years? NO. These are my main goals this year:

1. Release IHN as a trilogy (will keep the original as an omnibus)
2. Do P90X
3. Run the 1/2 marathon in San Antonio in November
4. Finish the rough draft of the vampire novel by the end of the year.
Good luck with all that. Keep your eyes on the prize.

I don't expect this novel to be as long as IHN. I hope (and if it is, I'll break it down into smaller books). But that all depends on my fingers!! I just need a name for it. Was thinking about "Hell's Gate," which would actually be extremely appropriate, but there are already a bazillion books with that title. Hmph...
Pathway to Hell
Gateway to the Inferno
Down to Perdition
To the Pits of Hell

Just off the top of my head.

PraiseGod13 said:
Yeah, but it's Jamie. I can't leave him there alone with that devil. :'(

Anju No. 469 said:
OK Mike - pick a few of us (blue people preferably) to "edit", read your new novel and suggest a title. Prize being a part in your movie of IHN ::)
See my suggestions above. Even if Mike doesn't like them, maybe they'll be an inspiration.

May not post any answers here, but then again might your questions are getting more difficult ;)
You can always just say "ditto." I love it when everyone agrees with me. ;D

kreelanwarrior said:
Well, blood-sucking aside, if it makes any difference the vampires in this novel aren't based on spiritual evil in the traditional sense: they're intentionally created to serve the purposes of human evil. Just as a hint, the story begins in early 1945...
No, it's just the blood-sucking that gets me.

Early 1945 ... Hitler didn't commit suicide until April some time. Stalin was about ready to get started with his iron curtain after the fall of Germany. Those are the two big baddies of the time.

Yeah, there was some "vampirism" going on there! If you can make it through that (multiple times?), my next story should be a breeze... ;D
Yes, I've probably read the Outlander 15 or so times. Yes, I cry and cringe every time.

And here's just a thought: since we're having a sort of "read with the author" book club thing, maybe a "write with the author" thread? I dunno, just thinking out loud - it might be nice to have some ongoing feedback on what my fingers are coming up with (and make sure there's someone who can add!). Whatcha think?
Sure. Sanctioned buttinsky. Love it.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Anju No. 469 said:
OK Mike - pick a few of us (blue people preferably) to "edit", read your new novel and suggest a title. Prize being a part in your movie of IHN ::)
Well, hey, you all have a spot in the movie, anyway! ;D

But that would be kinda cool. Maybe we can set up a sub-forum with limited members/access?

It took a little convincing of y'all to get me to read this book, afraid of monsters and dreams, and I have already finished it the second time, and got so much more out of it. BUT I have to read something else LOL
TWICE? Good heavens, Anju! ;D

May not post any answers here, but then again might your questions are getting more difficult ;)
Awww, come on! You don't even have to answer the questions, just ad-lib! ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Pathway to Hell
Gateway to the Inferno
Down to Perdition
To the Pits of Hell

Just off the top of my head.
Good ones! And that's even without the Kool Atomic hat!!

No, it's just the blood-sucking that gets me.
We'll try to get kinder, gentler vampires... ;D

Early 1945 ... Hitler didn't commit suicide until April some time. Stalin was about ready to get started with his iron curtain after the fall of Germany. Those are the two big baddies of the time.
No spoilers! ;D

Yes, I've probably read the Outlander 15 or so times. Yes, I cry and cringe every time.
Yikes! Well, that's about as many times - maybe - as I've read The Mote In God's Eye.

Sure. Sanctioned buttinsky. Love it.
LOL!!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.