Kindle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
And here's just a thought: since we're having a sort of "read with the author" book club thing, maybe a "write with the author" thread? I dunno, just thinking out loud - it might be nice to have some ongoing feedback on what my fingers are coming up with (and make sure there's someone who can add!). Whatcha think?
Got my calculator right here....Wait, it is solar-powered. Will that work with vampires? ???

N :)

·
Super Moderator
67,704 Posts
O.k.  Finished the book in the car today -- we're driving to FL to watch an oboe recital.  Anyway. . . . .got to chapter 48 which is as far as I was supposed to go to be caught up but there were hardly any little dots left so. . . . .

Anyway, as to this section. . . .definitely the plot and various threads start coming togethr.  I knew there was something hinky with Borge and Thorella. . . .fairly shocked at the killing of Nathan but not really surprised. . .knew who'd done it.  So Glad to see Rabat get her come-upance. . . . .now to just get rid of Borge and Thorella. . . . .

Realized as soon as I 'saw' the Kreelan child that it must be Reza's. . .. surprised he was a boy (did you name him after the tiger in Jungle Book? :D) but then realized it made perfect sense.  The whole idea of the WAY was to get the Empire back to a point where the males had value again.  Interesting watching Reza relate to him. . . .could have stood to see more of that, but understand why not.

A thought did occur to me:  Reza lost the bloodsong.  But presumably Tesh Dar and Shera Khan both have it.  So why didn't the knowledge that Reza was still alive get broadcast to the rest of the empire, including EZ. . . . .except that it needed to happen the way it ultimately did to make a good story.

Jodi and Eustus were in a difficult position.  They clearly totally were on Reza's side, but the war had been going on forever.  How could they just up and change sides without really good reason.  They'd already gone pretty far in being willing to talk with TD and SK and not treating them as prisoners.  And they were both military so there was an oath there. . .and remember, Eustus was still smarting from having his loyalty questioned when everyone else thought Reza had turned on them.  You can see how they'd be willing to help individuals but couldn't go the step to actually take overt action that would be to their own side's detriment.

Anyway, as I said, I have finished it.. . . .so I'll wait until the last questions are up so as not to risk any spoilers.. . .

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Realized as soon as I 'saw' the Kreelan child that it must be Reza's. . .. surprised he was a boy (did you name him after the tiger in Jungle Book? :D)
That was my thought, too. :)

A thought did occur to me: Reza lost the bloodsong. But presumably Tesh Dar and Shera Khan both have it. So why didn't the knowledge that Reza was still alive get broadcast to the rest of the empire, including EZ. . . . .except that it needed to happen the way it ultimately did to make a good story.
The bloodsong is tied to the Empress, and with the Empress dying, there is no bloodsong. It's why the Kreela have lost the will to fight.

I don't know how you could drive and listen to this book. I was sitting on the edge of my seat and biting my lip through the whole ending.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
O.k. Finished the book in the car today -- we're driving to FL to watch an oboe recital. Anyway. . . . .got to chapter 48 which is as far as I was supposed to go to be caught up but there were hardly any little dots left so. . . . .
Well, at least you didn't stay up until 2 a.m.! ;D

Anyway, as to this section. . . .definitely the plot and various threads start coming togethr. I knew there was something hinky with Borge and Thorella. . . .fairly shocked at the killing of Nathan but not really surprised. . .knew who'd done it. So Glad to see Rabat get her come-upance. . . . .now to just get rid of Borge and Thorella. . . . .
Yeah, Nathan's death was sad. His character is actually based a bit on a someone I knew from Africa. Actually, I guess a fair bit of the book - or the characters, at least - are from some of my various travels (France, Soviet Union, sub-saharan Africa, among others).

And I was glad my fingers came up with a good way to deal with Rabat. The swine.

Realized as soon as I 'saw' the Kreelan child that it must be Reza's. . .. surprised he was a boy (did you name him after the tiger in Jungle Book? :D) but then realized it made perfect sense. The whole idea of the WAY was to get the Empire back to a point where the males had value again. Interesting watching Reza relate to him. . . .could have stood to see more of that, but understand why not.
Actually, it never occurred to me until years later when I actually watched The Jungle Book again (I hadn't seen or read it in ages) and saw Shere Khan's tiger character. So I suppose it's fitting - Shera-Khan is certainly tiger-worthy! - but completely incidental. ;)

A thought did occur to me: Reza lost the bloodsong. But presumably Tesh Dar and Shera Khan both have it. So why didn't the knowledge that Reza was still alive get broadcast to the rest of the empire, including EZ. . . . .except that it needed to happen the way it ultimately did to make a good story.
As Gertie pointed out, the Empress is the heart and soul of the entire culture. When she went into "distress," the link essentially went off-line.

Jodi and Eustus were in a difficult position. They clearly totally were on Reza's side, but the war had been going on forever. How could they just up and change sides without really good reason. They'd already gone pretty far in being willing to talk with TD and SK and not treating them as prisoners. And they were both military so there was an oath there. . .and remember, Eustus was still smarting from having his loyalty questioned when everyone else thought Reza had turned on them. You can see how they'd be willing to help individuals but couldn't go the step to actually take overt action that would be to their own side's detriment.
Wheels within wheels... ;D But yeah, they were kinda stuck. A crappy situation to be in, on top of everything else!

Anyway, as I said, I have finished it.. . . .so I'll wait until the last questions are up so as not to risk any spoilers.. . .

Ann
I hope to have them up in a more timely fashion, since we'll be on vacay and won't have to muck with the usual daily routine. Since it seems like most folks have probably finished it, I may go ahead and post the questions for the remaining chapters (divided up in separate threads). ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,704 Posts
I'm happy to see further questions anytime. . . . .

Gertie, I wasn't driving. . . . I was sitting in the back reading. . . . .never could read in a car before Kindle so it's a good thing!!!  Yes. . .all pretty intense.  I read a Dickens short story and then an Agatha Christie novel for the rest of the trip.  Ready now to start Distant Cousin.  I LOVE this gadget!!!

I get the whole bloodsong thing now. . .I think if I'd been able to read it all in more of 'one fell swoop' I would have grasped more.  But having to read in fits and starts I think I missed some things.

One (more) question occurs to me.  I hope this isn't jumping to the next chapters . . .don't think so.  When did Reza have the thingy implanted.  I had the impression it was when he was severely injured after the 700 battle.  But he'd had the freeze up when he was imprisoned by Thorella before that. . . .so I'm confused as to when she'd had a chance to do it any earlier. . . .

Looking forward to the last bits of discussion. . .now must relinquish the laptop to DH so he can check e-mail.  :D

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I'm happy to see further questions anytime. . . . .
Me, too. Now I can reread the final chapters.

Gertie, I wasn't driving. . . . I was sitting in the back reading. . . . .never could read in a car before Kindle so it's a good thing!!! Yes. . .all pretty intense. I read a Dickens short story and then an Agatha Christie novel for the rest of the trip. Ready now to start Distant Cousin. I LOVE this gadget!!!
Whew! I feel better, now. I had a hard time reading it lying in bed. :D

One (more) question occurs to me. I hope this isn't jumping to the next chapters . . .don't think so. When did Reza have the thingy implanted. I had the impression it was when he was severely injured after the 700 battle. But he'd had the freeze up when he was imprisoned by Thorella before that. . . .so I'm confused as to when she'd had a chance to do it any earlier. . . .
I'm sure that had to be in the current chapters. These things just don't stay in my brain like they used to. (sigh) I'll have to look it up, or better yet ... MIKE!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Agree with everything Gertie says and Ann - no opinions of my own that are not share by these wonderful ladies.

Hope everyone has a good vacation
and delighted Gertie is back to her health.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
Agree with everything Gertie says and Ann - no opinions of my own that are not share by these wonderful ladies.

Hope everyone has a good vacation
and delighted Gertie is back to her health.
Thanks, Anju. The only thing I've done to myself this week is twist my back out of shape. ::) Usually May and November are my bad months. I'm starting early this year. ;D

Glad to see you posting here and the DiA threads.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I get the whole bloodsong thing now. . .I think if I'd been able to read it all in more of 'one fell swoop' I would have grasped more. But having to read in fits and starts I think I missed some things.
Yeah, that part of the story sort of develops over time. I guess my fingers had to figure out where they were going with it... ;D

One (more) question occurs to me. I hope this isn't jumping to the next chapters . . .don't think so. When did Reza have the thingy implanted. I had the impression it was when he was severely injured after the 700 battle. But he'd had the freeze up when he was imprisoned by Thorella before that. . . .so I'm confused as to when she'd had a chance to do it any earlier. . . .
Okay, between the end of book 2 (which ends with the battle for Erlang) and the start of book 3, six months have passed. So a bit ore time - not much - passed between when Reza woke up and when Thorella showed up in the hospital to see him. Rabat was given access to Reza as soon as he was brought back from Erlang to Earth (which was right away) for medical attention and a court martial. And she actually kept him in the coma until she - and Borge - were ready...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Right but didn't Reza freeze up when he tried to go after Th. on Erlang BEFORE the battle. . . . .or maybe not. . . .I guess I'll have to re-read.

Ann
Are you talking about when Reza killed Belisle? If that's the scene you are thinking of, I don't think Reza froze up then. He didn't get Thorella because he was just a hologram.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Right but didn't Reza freeze up when he tried to go after Th. on Erlang BEFORE the battle. . . . .or maybe not. . . .I guess I'll have to re-read.

Ann
Yeah, the freeze-up business was when he was recovering in the hospital on Earth. As Gertie noted, before the battle, when Reza killed Belisle and would have killed Thorella, the big scumball was just a hologram with an olfactory add-in to make it seem a bit more real. Reza realized that something was amiss with Thorella there in Belisle's office, but didn't know what it was until Thorella's image walked through a piece of furniture. And by then it was too late...

·
Super Moderator
67,704 Posts
There was a scene where Thorella was in a secure cell. . . .Thorella appeared to him and taunted him.  Of course, he thought he was really there, but it was obvious later that he wasn't.  When Reza got angry and went after him, he couldn't do anything. . . .Wish I could remember where, but it was clearly after T got to the planet but before the battle when he was injured.  And before their escape. . . .

I'll have to find the locations. . . .

I could also be mis-remembering. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
There was a scene where Thorella was in a secure cell. . . .Thorella appeared to him and taunted him. Of course, he thought he was really there, but it was obvious later that he wasn't. When Reza got angry and went after him, he couldn't do anything. . . .Wish I could remember where, but it was clearly after T got to the planet but before the battle when he was injured. And before their escape. . . .

Ann
Yes, that was the scene in the government building in Mallory City: Reza and the Mallorys had just made their breakout and Reza sent Eustus and the others to get away while he went back in to finish off Belisle and Thorella. He did the smackdown on Belisle, but Thorella fooled him with the hologram bit... :mad:

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
There was a scene where Thorella was in a secure cell. . . .Thorella appeared to him and taunted him. Of course, he thought he was really there, but it was obvious later that he wasn't. When Reza got angry and went after him, he couldn't do anything. . . .Wish I could remember where, but it was clearly after T got to the planet but before the battle when he was injured. And before their escape. . . .

Ann
I think I remember the scene you're talking about. Wasn't that the second time Thorella talked to Reza as a hologram?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.