Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, all - the home stretch is upon us! This is the last batch of questions for the roller-coaster ride from chapter 49 on to the end. Jan did all but one of the questions (yay, Jan!), and since things were moving along pretty quick in this last section, I didn't try to break things out by chapter, although the questions are generally ordered by the events in the book.

Let's see what discussion we get going here! ;D

- At this point in the story, almost at the end, did you speculate at all about what the ending might be, how all of these different plot twists might be tied up? We'd love to hear your ideas!

- Tesh-Dar is killed by Borge, even though it was an act of sacrifice to save Shera-Khan. How did you feel about the way that scene worked?

- What was the significance of the blue glow around the throne in the Empress's Palace? How did you feel about Thorella being in that place?

- What did you think about what Mike's fingers did to Jodi at the end? Why do you think his fingers wrote the story this way? How would you have written it differently, if you would have?

- What were your thoughts as Reza was fighting Tara-Khan? Fair or unfair that he still had one more battle to fight before he could reach Esah-Zhurah?

- Near the end, were you worried that Reza had finally reached and saved Esah-Zhurah, only to die?

- Do you feel that Thorella truly got what he deserved?

- Were you surprised at the true power of the Empress at the end? What did you think of what happened to Thorella's Marines in the throne room?

- Were you happy with the way the story ended? Did you cry when Nicole visited the Obelisk Memorial? Did you like the way the author had Reza and Esah-Zhurah appear to Nicole one last time?

- Who here wants a sequel? How about a prequel? :D << you can definitely tell that Jan did this one!

- Bonus question: For those who stayed up until ridiculous hours at night to finish the book, why did you do it?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
- At this point in the story, almost at the end, did you speculate at all about what the ending might be, how all of these different plot twists might be tied up? We'd love to hear your ideas!
Well you know Reza is gonna get the girl and save the world - just how is the question - at least he better :mad:

- Tesh-Dar is killed by Borge, even though it was an act of sacrifice to save Shera-Khan. How did you feel about the way that scene worked?
Her life was fulfilled and her life was basically a sacrifice, but it was good

- What was the significance of the blue glow around the throne in the Empress's Palace? How did you feel about Thorella being in that place?
The blue glow was the warriors that had been in the cave? They were not physical any longer thus the glow. I was hoping that somehow Thorella would be zapped by the "blue glow" but glad he did not enter the throne room and besmerch it

- What did you think about what Mike's fingers did to Jodi at the end? Why do you think his fingers wrote the story this way? How would you have written it differently, if you would have?
I hated to see Jodi go, but this was quite well done, and she did what she really wanted to - get rid of the bully

- What were your thoughts as Reza was fighting Tara-Khan? Fair or unfair that he still had one more battle to fight before he could reach Esah-Zhurah?
In a way it was fair,, he had to prove his worthiness, but he had already been chosen, then again even though he had been chosen perhaps he still need to prove to TK, not the empress and I liked his thinking - I had no clue - smart Reza

- Near the end, were you worried that Reza had finally reached and saved Esah-Zhurah, only to die?
He was not going to die, just not sure how he would be revived

I wanted Thorella to suffer more for all the evil things he did, but then evil usually does not get payback, just death

- Were you surprised at the true power of the Empress at the end?
Not really, as she was complete with Reza

- Were you happy with the way the story ended? Did you cry when Nicole visited the Obelisk Memorial? Did you like the way the author had Reza and Esah-Zhurah appear to Nicole one last time?
The story ended quite well, and I am glad Nicole was able to say good bye. But it also left an opening for a sequel

- Who here wants a sequel? How about a prequel? Cheesy (<< you can definitely tell that Jan did this one!)
These were tough questions, of course Jan did them :eek: I would liked to have seen more of our Marine and our priest but there is no way they could be part of a pre or se

Another book is definitely in order! please please please pretty please grovel grovel grovel

·
Registered
26,676 Posts

I had no clue. Every time I thought one thing was going to happen, something else happened.

Tesh Dar was dying. She called upon the last of her great strength to do what she was meant to do.

The blue glow is not only the heart of the Empress, it is the heart of the Empire. The Empress must be preserved until the "chosen one" can break through to save her.

I wouldn't have minded Thorella being zapped by the blue, but it was better that he didn't He defiled the room (and anyplace else he happened to be) with his presence. I was glad when he left.

Very unexpected. I was surprised that Reza only got one whack at Thorella. What Jodi went through with Thorella and his goons (shudder)... Thanks for not being very graphic about that. My imagination did unfortunately well with the scene.

I won't say that Jodi's death had to happen. She didn't need redemption. But maybe she needed to make that sacrifice to save those she loved.

He had to fight that battle to fulfill the prophecy. He had to prove himself worthy. It was his final challenge.

I wasn't worried that Reza had died, I worried that he was too late to save Esah Zhurah. If she lived, her power as empress would save him.

Hell, no. Gee, he lost an arm and then got blown up. The death of a thousand cuts would have been too kind.

- Were you surprised at the true power of the Empress at the end? What did you think of what happened to Thorella's Marines in the throne room?

A bit surprised, but not really. Esah Zhurah took on all the power of Keel Tath and the whole Empire.

Yes, I was happy with the ending. The memorial visit was okay, but I would have been just as happy with the new dawn being the end.

- Who here wants a sequel? How about a prequel? :D << you can definitely tell that Jan did this one!

It took quite a bit of the book for us to start having any kind of positive feelings about the Kreela. Even then, it was a reflection of Reza's feelings. I don't see how you would approach a prequel that would cast them in any but a negative role.

What are your thoughts on a sequel?

Your epilogue kind of took care of that. If you do a sequel, will it be Shera Khan's story?

-Bonus question: For those who stayed up until ridiculous hours at night to finish the book, why did you do it?[/b]

I just didn't want to stop anymore. I did my best to be good and not finish the book, but I was too weak. :-[

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anju No. 469 said:
Well you know Reza is gonna get the girl and save the world - just how is the question - at least he better :mad:
LOL! Yeah, that'd make for kind of a sucky ending! It kills me, though - some books and movies *do* have endings like that. Ugh!

Her life was fulfilled and her life was basically a sacrifice, but it was good
Exactly. That was the way she wanted to die. All of us should be so lucky as to go out the way of our choice...

I hated to see Jodi go, but this was quite well done, and she did what she really wanted to - get rid of the bully
Jodi was my favorite character. I wasn't happy. Bad fingers! :'(

In a way it was fair,, he had to prove his worthiness, but he had already been chosen, then again even though he had been chosen perhaps he still need to prove to TK, not the empress and I liked his thinking - I had no clue - smart Reza
Well, we would probably consider it unfair if we were in Reza's shoes (or sandals, as the case may be!), but - as he had his entire life - he played the hand he was dealt as best he could...

I wanted Thorella to suffer more for all the evil things he did, but then evil usually does not get payback, just death
Yeah, my fingers have received a lot of complaints about Thorella's demise. Life just ain't fair!

The story ended quite well, and I am glad Nicole was able to say good bye. But it also left an opening for a sequel
A sequel would actually be tough, I think. Jan asked about that a lot, but to be honest I have no idea where the Kreelans went off to!

- Who here wants a sequel? How about a prequel? Cheesy (<< you can definitely tell that Jan did this one!)
These were tough questions, of course Jan did them :eek: I would liked to have seen more of our Marine and our priest but there is no way they could be part of a pre or se
True, but there are other characters who can be brought back into play, and I'm sure new ones who'll emerge... ;D

Another book is definitely in order! please please please pretty please grovel grovel grovel
Who am I to refuse? ;D I've fiddled with the title of what the next one should be, and finally decided on In Her Name: First Contact about - surprise! - first contact with the Kreelans. At least until one of y'all comes up with a better idea! I've been pondering this, and I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get started on that one and hold off on the vampire project. Half of that's actually a historical novel in the WWII period, and I don't want to just slap something together on it. But in the IHN universe, I can just let my fingers do the typing and see where we go... 8)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
It took quite a bit of the book for us to start having any kind of positive feelings about the Kreela. Even then, it was a reflection of Reza's feelings. I don't see how you would approach a prequel that would cast them in any but a negative role.
First of all, I am so happy your fingers are considering doing a prequel and/or sequel! I will happily stay up past 1 AM to read it! I agree with Gertie about the Kreela having to be villains in a prequel. Unless maybe you tell the tale from their perspective. Would a prequel be a stand-alone book or one meant to be read only after reading In Her Name?

As for why I stayed up reading so late, I didn't plan to! I like to read for a half hour or so before I sleep, but some books are just about impossible to stop reading. I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with the Book Klub schedule until almost the very end. I think it was the threat of Kal'ai'Il. :eek:

N :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neekeebee said:
First of all, I am so happy your fingers are considering doing a prequel and/or sequel! I will happily stay up past 1 AM to read it! I agree with Gertie about the Kreela having to be villains in a prequel. Unless maybe you tell the tale from their perspective. Would a prequel be a stand-alone book or one meant to be read only after reading In Her Name?
Well, I think it'll be a standalone, although it'll probably be similar to Star Wars: we've got the end of the story hammered out, but the next one will start at the beginning of the war with the Kreelans. So that's about a hundred years before what happens in IHN, and I figure there'll be one or probably two more novels in between. So figure another trilogy leading up to IHN. Then we'll see where we go from there... ;D

As for why I stayed up reading so late, I didn't plan to! I like to read for a half hour or so before I sleep, but some books are just about impossible to stop reading. I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with the Book Klub schedule until almost the very end. I think it was the threat of Kal'ai'Il. :eek:
LOL! Well, I can only hope the next one(s) will be as good! Go, fingers! 8)

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Just a quick thought. . . Thorella died a coward's death screaming in panic -- the control freak lost all power.  Nanny nanny boo boo.  It should have been worse.  But I'm glad it wasn't Reza who did him in. . . .makes him a better person.

Very Very good book. . . .and I can be picky about such things.  :D  I like a complex plot, but not too confusing, with likeable (and hateable) characters that act with enough predictability that you feel like you know have a clue where things are going but enough unexpectedness that you keep reading to see what will happen next.  You succeeded admirably!!

Ann

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Just a quick thought. . . Thorella died a coward's death screaming in panic -- the control freak lost all power. Nanny nanny boo boo. It should have been worse. But I'm glad it wasn't Reza who did him in. . . .makes him a better person.
Yeah, while it wasn't what he really deserved, I think that's the thing: a slow, agonizing death would've sort of shamed whomever did it to him. Even though the slimeball *did* deserve it!

Very Very good book. . . .and I can be picky about such things. :D I like a complex plot, but not too confusing, with likeable (and hateable) characters that act with enough predictability that you feel like you know have a clue where things are going but enough unexpectedness that you keep reading to see what will happen next. You succeeded admirably!!

Ann
Thanks! ;D I just hope the next one is nearly as good. That's probably part of my angst (along with total lack of time management skills - ugh!) in actually diving in and getting started on it. I just keep telling myself to let my fingers do the walking and enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Just a quick thought. . . Thorella died a coward's death screaming in panic -- the control freak lost all power. Nanny nanny boo boo. It should have been worse. But I'm glad it wasn't Reza who did him in. . . .makes him a better person.
Ann
Oh, I like that thought. I feel so much better, now. ;)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
- What did you think about what Mike's fingers did to Jodi at the end? Why do you think his fingers wrote the story this way? How would you have written it differently, if you would have? I think Jodi should have lived, Reza could have saved her..sent her somewhere or had her healed. I was very bummed that she died. But at least she managed to keep Thorella from excaping.

- Do you feel that Thorella truly got what he deserved? Nope he deserved worse. But at least he's finally dead!!

Were you happy with the way the story ended? Did you cry when Nicole visited the Obelisk Memorial? Did you like the way the author had Reza and Esah-Zhurah appear to Nicole one last time? Yip I got all teary at the Memorial, though there was a moment of eyeball rolling

- Bonus question: For those who stayed up until ridiculous hours at night to finish the book, why did you do it?
Wanting to find out if that scumbag Thorella finally got what he deserved and then had to see if Jodi lived. And I have no life ::)

theresam

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bkworm8it said:
- What did you think about what Mike's fingers did to Jodi at the end? Why do you think his fingers wrote the story this way? How would you have written it differently, if you would have? I think Jodi should have lived, Reza could have saved her..sent her somewhere or had her healed. I was very bummed that she died. But at least she managed to keep Thorella from excaping.
Bad fingers! I hated it that Jodi bought it, too, but I think her life had an underlying current of tragedy running through it, like she would never be truly fulfilled. :(

- Do you feel that Thorella truly got what he deserved? Nope he deserved worse. But at least he's finally dead!!
And I promise no convenient resurrections later on down the line! ;D

Were you happy with the way the story ended? Did you cry when Nicole visited the Obelisk Memorial? Did you like the way the author had Reza and Esah-Zhurah appear to Nicole one last time? Yip I got all teary at the Memorial, though there was a moment of eyeball rolling
LOL! Can't get through a novel without at least a little bit of eyeball rolling... ;D

Wanting to find out if that scumbag Thorella finally got what he deserved and then had to see if Jodi lived. And I have no life ::)
Bloodthirsty! Ha! ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:

Since I'm coming late to the discussion, I'm just going to only address the above points:

>>Since it was pre-destined or foretold, I thought that it was fitting that Reza and Tara-Khan fought - Reza has to prove that he was indeed 'the one' and Tara-Khan was the last and final challenge, I think. So, no -- I didn't see it as unfair although I was thinking 'hurry up already, time's running out...'

>> No, I really didn't think he'd die but for a few paragraphs I was going 'no, no. You can't do this to me. I have invested in these characters. He's not going to die, you're NOT killing me.' Then 'Of course not, you silly girl. He (referring to author) is not going to kill the hero. Have faith.' Anyway, I'm glad he's alive (with his family and a new beginning for their people and for the humans, & even though I hated it that Jodi had to die, thank you for giving her some happiness with Tanya) and we have a happy-ever-after ending! I love HEAs and hate when the hero or heroine gets killed!

>>I'm happy nasty, sadistic Thorella got what he deserved although I was hoping that Reza would be the one to administer the killing blow for what he did to Eustus, Jodi, et. alii. It was satisfying to know he was blown to smithereens by his own doing!

>> Not really. After thousands of years, each succeeding Empress(es) were imbued with the powers (can't think of the right word to describe what I want to say, innate personality/traits? HELP!) etc.. of the previous Empresses, so I expected her to be really mega-powerful. Felt bad about the marines who were just obeying orders given by the tyrant lest they be punished or court martialed for refusing to follow orders and treason - casualties of war like the other innocents?

>> Yes, to all 3. Also felt ambivalent -- cuz I wanted the story to continue past what you deemed fitting as an ending. (<-- Shamelessly begging for more of the characters I met/loved in this volume -- please, as Oliver Twist had asked, "More.?" I had many "frog-in-my-throat" moments while reading IHN, and yes, I shed a few tears at the epilogue. I did notice that the name of Corporal Alfonso Zevon of the Red Legion became Warren Zevon. That kinda gave me a little jolt because I am a Warren Zevon fan and when he died, I remember that we had a little memorial service for him, well, the newsgroup I belong to toasted him, his life and his music, and we all mourned his passing in our own wacky way! Anyway, when I first met Zevon in chapter 27 -I highlighted it cuz Warren Zevon immediately came to mind as I was reading the paragraph and I remember thinking that it was a pity that you didn't name him Warren in honor of Warren. Heh! I got my wish in the end, thanks. ;)

>> Bonus ? .. I blame you for my looking like a raccoon this morning. I had to finish reading IHN because I couldn't put it down -- I wanted to know what happened to everyone.

It was VERY worth the sleepless night, especially since I can breath a deep sigh of relief cuz there will no longer be warring among the Kreelans and the Humans. (Animals -- hmmm, I guess that is what beings of advanced and higher intelligence would call us, no?)

Again, thank you for inviting me into your world (universe?) - I had fun and I am looking forward to the next book, and am hoping that you will be bring back Reza and others in future books. Note that I said bookS! <vbg>

ebc

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
AppleHeart said:
>> Bonus ? .. I blame you for my looking like a raccoon this morning. I had to finish reading IHN because I couldn't put it down -- I wanted to know what happened to everyone.
ebc
Hah!! Welcome to the 2:00am Klub. ;D Most of us stayed up until the wee hours to finish the book. I was okay confining myself to the assigned chapters as we went along, but then came a time when I couldn't stop.

Obviously, Reza and Esah Zhurah won't be in the prequel, but I think we can count on Tesh Dar, at least.

How did you feel about the Kreelans at the end compared to the beginning of the book? I'm finding my reading of the prequel is being influenced by my feelings about them after finishing IHN. The prequel is going to be an interesting ride.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AppleHeart said:
Since I'm coming late to the discussion, I'm just going to only address the above points:

>>Since it was pre-destined or foretold, I thought that it was fitting that Reza and Tara-Khan fought - Reza has to prove that he was indeed 'the one' and Tara-Khan was the last and final challenge, I think. So, no -- I didn't see it as unfair although I was thinking 'hurry up already, time's running out...'

>> No, I really didn't think he'd die but for a few paragraphs I was going 'no, no. You can't do this to me. I have invested in these characters. He's not going to die, you're NOT killing me.' Then 'Of course not, you silly girl. He (referring to author) is not going to kill the hero. Have faith.' Anyway, I'm glad he's alive (with his family and a new beginning for their people and for the humans, & even though I hated it that Jodi had to die, thank you for giving her some happiness with Tanya) and we have a happy-ever-after ending! I love HEAs and hate when the hero or heroine gets killed!
Yeah, I thought it sucked what happened to Jodi, but I'm also NOT a fan of books (or movies, for that matter) where all the good guys get it in the end. Especially the ones where they go through hell, then things look like they're turning up, then wham!

Um. Having said that, though, be prepared for a lot of the "good guys" to get it in IHN: First Contact. Things are distinctly *not* looking good for the home team so far (and we've only seen the first couple of hours!)...

>>I'm happy nasty, sadistic Thorella got what he deserved although I was hoping that Reza would be the one to administer the killing blow for what he did to Eustus, Jodi, et. alii. It was satisfying to know he was blown to smithereens by his own doing!
I think the consensus for preference on this one was leaning heavily toward a slow boiling in oil for the swine, but at least he wasn't going to cause anybody any more trouble. Stellar garbage disposal!

>> Not really. After thousands of years, each succeeding Empress(es) were imbued with the powers (can't think of the right word to describe what I want to say, innate personality/traits? HELP!) etc.. of the previous Empresses, so I expected her to be really mega-powerful. Felt bad about the marines who were just obeying orders given by the tyrant lest they be punished or court martialed for refusing to follow orders and treason - casualties of war like the other innocents?
Simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time - happens all the time, unfortunately... :(

>> Yes, to all 3. Also felt ambivalent -- cuz I wanted the story to continue past what you deemed fitting as an ending. (<-- Shamelessly begging for more of the characters I met/loved in this volume -- please, as Oliver Twist had asked, "More.?" I had many "frog-in-my-throat" moments while reading IHN, and yes, I shed a few tears at the epilogue. I did notice that the name of Corporal Alfonso Zevon of the Red Legion became Warren Zevon. That kinda gave me a little jolt because I am a Warren Zevon fan and when he died, I remember that we had a little memorial service for him, well, the newsgroup I belong to toasted him, his life and his music, and we all mourned his passing in our own wacky way! Anyway, when I first met Zevon in chapter 27 -I highlighted it cuz Warren Zevon immediately came to mind as I was reading the paragraph and I remember thinking that it was a pity that you didn't name him Warren in honor of Warren. Heh! I got my wish in the end, thanks. ;)
You know, one of the other folks had mentioned that about Zevon and the 20 watt bulb in my empty skull didn't really light up until you mentioned it here - an unintentional "Easter egg"! I did that totally by accident (talk about a Freudian slip!), but I'll probably leave it for those who might enjoy it. I used to (still do) listen to Werewolves of London when I was a lot younger, along with Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner (where the heck do people come up with these things? Oh, wait - nevermind)... 8)

It was VERY worth the sleepless night, especially since I can breath a deep sigh of relief cuz there will no longer be warring among the Kreelans and the Humans. (Animals -- hmmm, I guess that is what beings of advanced and higher intelligence would call us, no?)
I swear, I'm gonna make a T-shirt on Zazzle that says something like "Proud Member of the In Her Name Midnight Reader's Klub" or something - you guys are loons (lovable, but quite crazy)! ;D

As for the animals bit, there was a discussion on one of the threads in here on that. The analog I used was how black slaves were treated: they were considered soulless animals to be bought, sold, and used as the owner pleased. Again, that's not something that I intentionally thought of when I was writing the book, but in retrospect after the discussions we had on it, it's pretty clear to me that's what my fingers meant when they were typing. It's not necessarily that the humans were Kreelan slaves (although Reza certainly was), but the Kreelans considered them creatures that were similar in general outward appearance, but not having souls - without the Bloodsong - they were still beasts.

Again, thank you for inviting me into your world (universe?) - I had fun and I am looking forward to the next book, and am hoping that you will be bring back Reza and others in future books. Note that I said bookS! <vbg>

ebc
Hey, thank *you* for deciding to take a spin in the IHN universe (and taking a chance on a nobody author!). :-*

As for Reza and the other characters: you'll probably see a familiar face or two in IHN: First Contact. But you have to remember that this takes place around a hundred years before IHN: Empire (Book 1 of the original tome), and only three of the characters in Empire had even been born. However, it's my intention to write at least two or three prequels (whatever my fingers determine). Not necessarily covering the entire century of the war (that would get a bit tiresome), but because I'd like to explore the lives of Wiley Hickock and Evgeni Zhukovski, in particular (and I'm sure we'd probably meet up with Borge at some point). I may also spin off-track a bit to take a closer look at Erlang, since a number of folks seemed to be quite interested in what went on there. And then maybe even turn the clock waaaaaay back to the foundation of the First Empire...

Ahh, so many worlds to build, so little time!!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
I'd like to explore the lives of Wiley Hickock and Evgeni Zhukovski, in particular (and I'm sure we'd probably meet up with Borge at some point). I may also spin off-track a bit to take a closer look at Erlang, since a number of folks seemed to be quite interested in what went on there. And then maybe even turn the clock waaaaaay back to the foundation of the First Empire...
Do my eyes deceive me? Wiley and Evgeni? Hallelujah!!! I loved Wiley in the short time we came to know him. But weren't they both not even a twinkle in their fathers' eyes at the beginning of the war?

Ahh, so many worlds to build, so little time!!
You must have a serious talk with your fingers.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Do my eyes deceive me? Wiley and Evgeni? Hallelujah!!! I loved Wiley in the short time we came to know him. But weren't they both not even a twinkle in their fathers' eyes at the beginning of the war?
No, they won't be in this book, but probably the next one or the one after that, depending on where we wind up at the end of First Contact. I figure it this way:

- First Contact
- one telling of the first part of the war and the formation of the Confederation (which doesn't exist in FC)
- skip ahead 70 or so years to when Hickock and Zhukovskij were green-behind-the-ears n00bs, and follow their lives until Empire (I'm particularly curious what happened to Wiley to make him the way he was in that book).
- maybe an exploration of Erlang
- definitely a trip back to First Empire days

...and then a movie for each one! Ha!

You must have a serious talk with your fingers.
Gertie, people would think I was weird... ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts