Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, peeps, here we go! I apologize for being tardy on delivering the questions to you! Twenty lashes with a wet noodle (as long as Gertie doesn't do it - she'll hurt me!). ;D

I hope I got the questions with the right chapters - if not, more beatings. Ow! Ow!

Chapter 30

What were your impressions when Eustus and Enya were exploring the tunnel and the chamber beyond?

Any idea who the male Kreelan guards were guarding?

What do you think happened when Enya touched the blue crystal? Why did it effect Reza like that?

Chapter 31

What did you think of the crew and mission of the scoutship Obstinate?

What was your first thought when you read what happened with the Kreelan target Lieutenant Weigand was monitoring?

Chapter 32

In this chapter you get another small glimpse of the power of the First Empress, both in terms of what happens to the mountain that Enya and Eustus had been exploring, as well as what happens to Reza. What was your reaction?

Chapter 33

One of our favorite (not!) characters returns in this chapter: who wanted to take a blowtorch to his head??

What did you think of Reza's transition from being a Marine back to a Kreelan warrior priest?

Chapter 34

Why do you think Reza didn't simply kill Thorella at the beginning of the chapter?

And what of not telling the Rainiers that they were soon to be slaughtered?

Chapter 35

What do you think of the idea of 700 Mallorys meeting 700 Kreelan warriors? What did you think was going to happen?

Did you think that Eustus was ever going to see Reza again after the breakout from the parliament building?

Chapter 36

Reza and Esah-Zhurah meet again - did you suspect that this would happen when you first learned that the Kreelans were coming to Erlang? What do you think about them meeting again finally, only to have to fight each other?

Chapter 37

Do you think Nicole's accident was a coincidence, or a timely intervention by unknown powers to keep her out of a battle that would surely kill her?

Chapter 38

How did you feel when you found out that if Reza was to go to the gallows, Nicole would likely die with him?

Reza was dead and now he's alive. Esah-Zhurah wishes she were dead because she doesn't know that Reza is alive again. Jodi and Eustus should be dead, but they aren't and we don't know if Nicole is alive or dead. Whew! What were you thinking when all of this was going on? [You can tell that Jan did this one! LOL!]

What did you think of Enya urging Eustus to go on Jodi's "suicide mission"?

Then what did you think of their escape just as the torpedo exploded next to Jodi's fighter?

Chapter 39

Do you think L'Houillier and Zhukovski being too pessimistic about the battle scenarios? Should humanity take one massive roll of the dice?

How did you feel when Zhukovski told Reza about what was happening to the Kreelans, and what it must mean for Esah-Zhurah?

What do you think happened when Reza collapsed shortly after Thorella entered his room?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Mike and Jan, I'm not going to be able to answer all the questions because at this point, I was just blasting through the book.

Chapter 30

What were your impressions when Eustus and Enya were exploring the tunnel and the chamber beyond?
Scared to death. Enya gave an impression of strength from when we first met her. Eustus did not. I think this exploration showed how Eustus had grown and toughened up.

Any idea who the male Kreelan guards were guarding?
I knew right away that it had to be Keel Tath's tomb.

What do you think happened when Enya touched the blue crystal? Why did it effect Reza like that?
She awakened Keel Tath. Reza was affected because he is the chosen one.

Chapter 31

What did you think of the crew and mission of the scoutship Obstinate?
Mike, I never know who you're going to kill off. I don't trust you since Goliath.

What was your first thought when you read what happened with the Kreelan target Lieutenant Weigand was monitoring?

Chapter 32

In this chapter you get another small glimpse of the power of the First Empress, both in terms of what happens to the mountain that Enya and Eustus had been exploring, as well as what happens to Reza. What was your reaction?
Spectacular. Awe-inspiring. Wish I had been there to see it ... from a very safe distance.

Chapter 33

One of our favorite (not!) characters returns in this chapter: who wanted to take a blowtorch to his head??
And other more personal parts.

What did you think of Reza's transition from being a Marine back to a Kreelan warrior priest?
About time. (shiver)

Chapter 34

Why do you think Reza didn't simply kill Thorella at the beginning of the chapter?
Have to reread this part.

And what of not telling the Rainiers that they were soon to be slaughtered?
Reza's reasons were sound. There may have been some innocent Raniers, but the majority went along with Belisle.

Chapter 35

What do you think of the idea of 700 Mallorys meeting 700 Kreelan warriors? What did you think was going to happen?
Mike, you sure can write a battle. It was all very symbolic and I had the impression all the moves were choreographed and very ritualistic.

Did you think that Eustus was ever going to see Reza again after the breakout from the parliament building?
I thought Reza might be the last man standing (figuratively) and the Kreelans would take him back to the home planet to fulfill the prophecy.

Chapter 36

Reza and Esah-Zhurah meet again - did you suspect that this would happen when you first learned that the Kreelans were coming to Erlang? What do you think about them meeting again finally, only to have to fight each other?
Yes, I suspected that would happen. You can stop making me cry, now.

Chapter 37

Do you think Nicole's accident was a coincidence, or a timely intervention by unknown powers to keep her out of a battle that would surely kill her?
Hadn't thought of that, but by the tone of your question, I'm guessing your fingers thought so.

Chapter 38

How did you feel when you found out that if Reza was to go to the gallows, Nicole would likely die with him?
You had my heart in my throat with that one.

Reza was dead and now he's alive. Esah-Zhurah wishes she were dead because she doesn't know that Reza is alive again. Jodi and Eustus should be dead, but they aren't and we don't know if Nicole is alive or dead. Whew! What were you thinking when all of this was going on? [You can tell that Jan did this one! LOL!]
As The Homeworld Turns or The Guiding Blue Light.

What did you think of Enya urging Eustus to go on Jodi's "suicide mission"?
I thought that Enya was very courageous. As I said about her before, she will always do what's right no matter how hard it is.

Then what did you think of their escape just as the torpedo exploded next to Jodi's fighter?
You're killing me, Mike.

Chapter 39

Do you think L'Houillier and Zhukovski being too pessimistic about the battle scenarios? Should humanity take one massive roll of the dice?
It seems like the logical thing to do, except for the fact that they both (and we) know the decision is being made by a megalomaniac.

How did you feel when Zhukovski told Reza about what was happening to the Kreelans, and what it must mean for Esah-Zhurah?
Huuurrrrrryyyyyyy.

What do you think happened when Reza collapsed shortly after Thorella entered his room?
I think it was the Ancient Ones preserving Reza to fulfill his role.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Wow, can't believe all the stuff that happened this week! I actually sneaked in chapter 30 last week, b/c I couldn't stop reading, even though it was past midnight. The cave part was quite exciting, and reminded me a little of Indiana Jones. The fact that Reza lapsed into some sort of coma following this incident confirmed my suspicions that it was all a huge Kreelan set-up having to do with the First Empress. BTW, I have to go back and read that story again…enjoyed it very much. Just have to find the place.

I was glad to see the First Empress making her first appearance this week. Anyone who put this type of curse on her people for 100,000 years must be quite powerful (not to mention harsh). It will be interesting to see exactly what she needs Reza and Esah-Zhurah for.

I really wasn't sure what to expect in the battle of the 700s, but I knew it would be dramatic! (Maybe someday they will make a film 700 based on the events? ;D) I couldn't believe that after all this time, this is how Reza and E-Z were reunited! Interesting that Reza started referring to E-Z as his "wife" here. Right before he let her "kill" him, which really got me. I really thought that was it for Reza, and the rest of the book would be about his son.

While Reza would not let a little thing like the death penalty stand between him and his honor, he might play along with Tony in order to protect Nicole from dying along with him.
That being said, I'm also fairly convinced by now that the First Empress and the Ancient Ones will do whatever is in their power to protect Reza. The only way Reza dies before fulfilling his part in the prophecy is if the Empire is destroyed.

N :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gertiekindle said:
Mike and Jan, I'm not going to be able to answer all the questions because at this point, I was just blasting through the book.
It was that bad?? LOL! ;D

Let's see...

Scared to death. Enya gave an impression of strength from when we first met her. Eustus did not. I think this exploration showed how Eustus had grown and toughened up.
Yes, he's come a long way. Of course years of combat will do that to you. On the other hand, he's still somehow managed to retain a semblance of his youthful spirit...

I knew right away that it had to be Keel Tath's tomb.
You peeked! ;D

Mike, I never know who you're going to kill off. I don't trust you since Goliath.
It's not my fault, I tell you! Darn fingers...But the Obstinate and her crew will show up one more time...

Mike, you sure can write a battle. It was all very symbolic and I had the impression all the moves were choreographed and very ritualistic.
Thank you! I'll take credit for the good stuff, and blame the bad stuff on my nefarious fingers. Yeah...

I thought Reza might be the last man standing (figuratively) and the Kreelans would take him back to the home planet to fulfill the prophecy.
Surprise! D'oh!!

Yes, I suspected that would happen. You can stop making me cry, now.
I have to admit that the battlefield reunion of Reza and Esah-Zhurah is probably the most emotional one for me of the entire book...

As The Homeworld Turns or The Guiding Blue Light.
Hey, that's good!!

You're killing me, Mike.
Sorry! Bad fingers!

Huuurrrrrryyyyyyy.
Yes, things are about to start speeding up...

I think it was the Ancient Ones preserving Reza to fulfill his role.
Good guess, but... ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neekeebee said:
Wow, can't believe all the stuff that happened this week! I actually sneaked in chapter 30 last week, b/c I couldn't stop reading, even though it was past midnight. The cave part was quite exciting, and reminded me a little of Indiana Jones. The fact that Reza lapsed into some sort of coma following this incident confirmed my suspicions that it was all a huge Kreelan set-up having to do with the First Empress. BTW, I have to go back and read that story again…enjoyed it very much. Just have to find the place.
Yes, now that big piece of the puzzle - Keel-Tath - is now on the board. But, as you can guess, the coast isn't quite clear yet!

I was glad to see the First Empress making her first appearance this week. Anyone who put this type of curse on her people for 100,000 years must be quite powerful (not to mention harsh). It will be interesting to see exactly what she needs Reza and Esah-Zhurah for.
And just think: that's only the power of her dormant spirit...

I really wasn't sure what to expect in the battle of the 700s, but I knew it would be dramatic! (Maybe someday they will make a film 700 based on the events? ;D) I couldn't believe that after all this time, this is how Reza and E-Z were reunited! Interesting that Reza started referring to E-Z as his "wife" here. Right before he let her "kill" him, which really got me. I really thought that was it for Reza, and the rest of the book would be about his son.
Yeah, that was a shocker! As for referring to her as his wife, I guess that's the closest term we have to describe their relationship, which obviously goes far deeper than what we can imagine for ourselves.

While Reza would not let a little thing like the death penalty stand between him and his honor, he might play along with Tony in order to protect Nicole from dying along with him.
That being said, I'm also fairly convinced by now that the First Empress and the Ancient Ones will do whatever is in their power to protect Reza. The only way Reza dies before fulfilling his part in the prophecy is if the Empire is destroyed.
He's still got a tough road ahead of him...!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gertiekindle said:
You know darn well it was that good.
Okay, I'll confess to some pandering for ego-boosting! ;D

Did not! I happen to be very perceptive. ;)
One of your many admirable traits, dear lady!!

Yes, and it was all me ... not my fingers.
Well, like I've told Jan before: I only have one brain cell. It works very hard, but it's only one. So the fingers have to pick up a lot of the slack (heck, I'd starve otherwise)... ;D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
What a week of reading this has been!!  I'm exhausted (in a great way)!!  I have to worry about Reza.... worry about Nicole.... get myself a blaster to take out "Mr. Nasty Thorella" himself........ recover from the battle of the two groups of 700.... I did NOT expect Reza and E-Z to have to battle each other.  I really did think she would be there...... to take him back with her.... not to kill him.  When he died... I actually loudly said, "Oh NOOOO!!!" and startled DH.  He's convinced that I'm really "into" this book - HA!!  I really had thought that all 700 Mallorys would have to die for the Kreelans to be satisfied.... so I was happy that some were able to live.
    I loved exploring the cave with Eustus and Enya...... and when they came upon the guards and the blue crystal it was magical.  Great job, Mike!
    I'm like Gertie..... I am so anxious... and there is such a feeling of urgency for Reza to get back to E-Z... but he seems to be a little restricted right now with the charges against him and our ugly "Mr. T" dogging him every step of the way like a game of cat & mouse, only MUCH worse.  That's why I need a blaster to get Mr. T out of the way so Reza can get on with serious business..... but at the same time, I want Reza to be the one to take him out, once-and-for-all!!
    And, when Reza changed from his uniform back to his Kreelan clothes....... it gave me goosebumps (I think they must have been blue).  What a powerful scene that will be for the movie!!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PraiseGod13 said:
What a week of reading this has been!! I'm exhausted (in a great way)!! I have to worry about Reza.... worry about Nicole.... get myself a blaster to take out "Mr. Nasty Thorella" himself........ recover from the battle of the two groups of 700.... I did NOT expect Reza and E-Z to have to battle each other. I really did think she would be there...... to take him back with her.... not to kill him. When he died... I actually loudly said, "Oh NOOOO!!!" and startled DH. He's convinced that I'm really "into" this book - HA!! I really had thought that all 700 Mallorys would have to die for the Kreelans to be satisfied.... so I was happy that some were able to live.
I loved exploring the cave with Eustus and Enya...... and when they came upon the guards and the blue crystal it was magical. Great job, Mike!
I'm like Gertie..... I am so anxious... and there is such a feeling of urgency for Reza to get back to E-Z... but he seems to be a little restricted right now with the charges against him and our ugly "Mr. T" dogging him every step of the way like a game of cat & mouse, only MUCH worse. That's why I need a blaster to get Mr. T out of the way so Reza can get on with serious business..... but at the same time, I want Reza to be the one to take him out, once-and-for-all!!
And, when Reza changed from his uniform back to his Kreelan clothes....... it gave me goosebumps (I think they must have been blue). What a powerful scene that will be for the movie!!!
Hey, I think you're the only one who hasn't stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish the crazy thing! LOL! ;D

And your poor husband, he's probably wondering what in the world this thing is that you're reading. I'd say have him read it and see, but that would probably mean surrendering your Kindle, and I know *that* isn't gonna happen!

It's interesting: the scene with Reza changing back into his Kreelan persona never struck me as being so powerful an image, but after trying to step back and look at it with fresh eyes (and ignoring my dastardly typing fingers), y'all are right - that would be a pretty weighty scene in the movie! Dang it, where the heck is Peter Jackson??

And the battle on the Plain of Aragon has got to be one of my favorite scenes in the book. But guess what: there's lots left ahead for you! ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I really had thought that all 700 Mallorys would have to die for the Kreelans to be satisfied.... so I was happy that some were able to live.
That's what I thought, too. I guess we thought so because Reza thought so. Then he sacrificed himself, which stopped everything. Can you imagine how Esah-Zhurah must have felt at that moment?

I'm like Gertie..... I am so anxious... and there is such a feeling of urgency for Reza to get back to E-Z... but he seems to be a little restricted right now with the charges against him and our ugly "Mr. T" dogging him every step of the way like a game of cat & mouse, only MUCH worse. That's why I need a blaster to get Mr. T out of the way so Reza can get on with serious business..... but at the same time, I want Reza to be the one to take him out, once-and-for-all!!
Thorella seems to have more than nine lives. Maybe if Reza just slices off one part at a time ...

And, when Reza changed from his uniform back to his Kreelan clothes....... it gave me goosebumps (I think they must have been blue). What a powerful scene that will be for the movie!!!
Oooh, didn't think of it like that, which is odd, because I love scenes like that. Yeah, blue goosebumps.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Hey, I think you're the only one who hasn't stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish the crazy thing! LOL! ;D
Believe me.... I would have been one of those staying up until 2AM also if I had been reading this a year ago - but that would have been pre-Kindle. With my new job, I have to be up at 5AM so that has seriously cut into my late-night reading. Also, I'm spread a little thin with my reading time since I'm currently doing my One Year Bible Klub, Al's Distant Cousin Klub, the Dragonfly In Amber Klub.... and, of course, In Her Name!!
But, I feel compelled to make a confession here. There is a greater reason why I haven't allowed myself to finish this book. It's one of my character traits since childhood. When I'm reading a book that is "a cut above the rest".... and I'm totally immersed..... I absolutely do NOT want it to end. So...... I read the first 3/4 or so of the book in a day or two..... and then spend weeks on the last 1/4...... trying to prolong the enjoyment and prevent it being over. Thus it is with In Her Name. So, now you know..... I do not want this book to end.... and will have to re-read it again soon after our klub is done so that I can stay connected to the world of Reza, E-Z, and the Kreelans..... it's that wonderful!!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
So, now you know..... I do not want this book to end.... and will have to re-read it again soon after our klub is done so that I can stay connected to the world of Reza, E-Z, and the Kreelans..... it's that wonderful!!
When Mike first joined KB, and called himself kreelanwarrior, I figured they were the good guys. Then I read the book and said, ick, why would Mike want to name himself after these vicious, brutal people. Then bit-by-bit, even though the Kreela are still pretty brutal, we start getting sucked in to The Way, just as Reza did. After finding out about Keel Tath, the curse and the prophecy, we see what a burden these people are struggling under.

So, Mike, are we going to find out how the Kreela evolved after the new dawn?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gertiekindle said:
That's what I thought, too. I guess we thought so because Reza thought so. Then he sacrificed himself, which stopped everything. Can you imagine how Esah-Zhurah must have felt at that moment?
That's why even now I still get emotional about that part of the story...

Thorella seems to have more than nine lives. Maybe if Reza just slices off one part at a time ...
Okay, here's a question: who prefers to have their villains with more of a "soul," and not just being totally bad? Some people seem to think that characters who are manifestly evil and don't have any inner conflict are less believable, although I think there's plenty of historical evidence to show that some human beings are quite capable of being evil to the core...

Oooh, didn't think of it like that, which is odd, because I love scenes like that. Yeah, blue goosebumps.
You need to come inside from the cold, now, Gertie! ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Okay, here's a question: who prefers to have their villains with more of a "soul," and not just being totally bad? Some people seem to think that characters who are manifestly evil and don't have any inner conflict are less believable, although I think there's plenty of historical evidence to show that some human beings are quite capable of being evil to the core...
Evil to the core, but when they get caught, they think they are misunderstood or can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with them. That's the soul part.

I was watching a show about Yongle, second Ming emperor last night. He deposed and probably murdered his nephew and family by burning down the palace with them in it. He executed most of the officials out to the tenth degree of family and servants. He got mad at a concubine and executed 2800 concubines, servants and eunuchs. He was afraid of being remembered as a bad guy and had a revisionist history written, then executed the guy who wrote it. But see, he just wanted to be loved.

We would call Yongle's actions purely evil, but even being evil, he cared about his image.

On the good side, he did care very much for China and expended a lot of time and energy in making China prosperous caring for its people.

Thorella's soul? He didn't want to lose and he didn't want to die.

You need to come inside from the cold, now, Gertie! ;D
That's why I don't do snow.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Personally, I think there is a role for both types and this is why the book really draws people in: it has both types in the Kreelans and Thorella. There is a certain glee in seeing the villain-you-love-to-hate get his/her due; I can enjoy it completely! ;D Whereas with honorable villans like the Kreelans, I enjoy readng about why they act that way, but it is always sad when they have to die.

Gertie: Yongle sounds fascinating! Thanks!

N :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
The concept of the evil character is interesting. A few of the reviews of the book called the characters of Thorella and Borge caricatures, and therefore hardly believable, as if you couldn't have people like that in real life. I'm afraid that it's all too possible to believe there are people like that in real life. I hope I never meet them!

In the same way, they felt that Reza was too perfect. My viewpoint is, aren't we always looking for a real hero to believe in? And when we find him, we cheer him on all of the way, and feel his pain when he gets knocked down. I think that's part of the appeal of this book. It satisfies our needs/interests on so many levels. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
The concept of the evil character is interesting. A few of the reviews of the book called the characters of Thorella and Borge caricatures, and therefore hardly believable, as if you couldn't have people like that in real life. I'm afraid that it's all too possible to believe there are people like that in real life. I hope I never meet them!
Were Hitler and Stalin caricatures? Vlad the Impaler? Yongle? Maybe we just don't know much about Thorella and Borge's personal lives. We don't get to see how they chill out in the evening. Do they play cards with the guys? Do they hang out in the ESPN room with the male Kreelans? These are things we don't need to know and are best left to the imagination.

Thorella served another purpose besides being the quintessential bad guy. His training methods contrasted sharply with the Kreelans training. It made the Kreelans more sympathetic, and not just through Reza's eyes. The reader starts to see the difference, too.

In the same way, they felt that Reza was too perfect. My viewpoint is, aren't we always looking for a real hero to believe in? And when we find him, we cheer him on all of the way, and feel his pain when he gets knocked down. I think that's part of the appeal of this book. It satisfies our needs/interests on so many levels. :)
I didn't see Reza as being too perfect. I saw him as a guy that had been through hell in just about every stage of his life. Every time he managed to build something of a life, he lost it all. I think Reza, in reaction to that, keeps himself tightly controlled. His training in The Way, keeps him focused on what needs to be done. He's like Thorella and Borge that way; we don't know much about his private life outside his duties as a marine. I'm guessing, considering his leisure activities as an orphan, that he read a lot. Again, best left to the imagination. There's no need for an author to mention every time the hero brushes his teeth.

In Her Name has some flaws (so what), but it's a darn good story, very well told with characters that I can care about. *****

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gertiekindle said:
Were Hitler and Stalin caricatures? Vlad the Impaler? Yongle? Maybe we just don't know much about Thorella and Borge's personal lives. We don't get to see how they chill out in the evening. Do they play cards with the guys? Do they hang out in the ESPN room with the male Kreelans? These are things we don't need to know and are best left to the imagination.

Thorella served another purpose besides being the quintessential bad guy. His training methods contrasted sharply with the Kreelans training. It made the Kreelans more sympathetic, and not just through Reza's eyes. The reader starts to see the difference, too.

I didn't see Reza as being too perfect. I saw him as a guy that had been through hell in just about every stage of his life. Every time he managed to build something of a life, he lost it all. I think Reza, in reaction to that, keeps himself tightly controlled. His training in The Way, keeps him focused on what needs to be done. He's like Thorella and Borge that way; we don't know much about his private life outside his duties as a marine. I'm guessing, considering his leisure activities as an orphan, that he read a lot. Again, best left to the imagination. There's no need for an author to mention every time the hero brushes his teeth.

In Her Name has some flaws (so what), but it's a darn good story, very well told with characters that I can care about. *****
Yeah, what Gertie said! ;D

Actually, all very excellent points. I was actually surprised at the "caricature" comments, because there are - and have been - quite a few humans who certainly fit that mold, particularly those in power, as you mentioned. Sort of the ultimate in "absolute power corrupts absolutely."

And yes, I feel the same about Reza in terms of the "too perfect" comments a reviewer or two has made. He not only lost everything - over and over - but had to mature, a lot and in a hurry, just to survive his childhood. Most of us have had the good fortune of at least not having to grow up in the middle of a war zone, let alone the cascade of nightmares Reza had to face. And I think Gertie's right - he keeps a lot of what's inside held tight, because that's become a survival trait for him...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.