Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... what historian Andrew Roberts said about Winston Churchill. Writing about an exhibition of Churchilliana he notes:

"Here was a man who could not write or say a boring sentence, but the reason was - as these documents show time and again - that he would rework and revise with a perfectionist's commitment until he got it absolutely right.
The result was ultimately sublime, of course, but it was not without an extraordinary amount of time spent continually rewriting until he was happy with the cadences, rhythms and meaning of his words. He respected the power of words, and this exhibition shows just how much effort he put into making them live in his readers' and listeners' minds."

:)

· Registered
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Masha du Toit said:
That fine line is what I'm struggling with right now. Finished the second draft, and I can see so many ways it could be better...
It's as well to remember the saying: "You know it's time to stop editing when you start putting back the commas you've just taken out." ;D

· Registered
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David Adams said:
I'm sure you're right, but I have to say your covers are extremely distracting and I can never read a single thing you write.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy your posts though! :D
Obliged to scroll up and take a look at the covers ;D

· Registered
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I also read that Roal Dahl wrote at least 13 drafts of his short stories before he was satisfied. And Sue Townsend (The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole) used to get up at 5 am and sit on the edge of the bath and type out her manuscript on a typewriter balanced on her lap, as it was the only place and time she could get away from the demands of her children (and husband, I should imagine  :))

That's what I call dedication to a craft. ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.