Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm failing from the start because I don't have a sexy video of a monkey and a frog to draw everyone in, and I also can't say I turned down half a million bucks like Barry Eisler did, but we already know I'm barely 1/7th as cool as Barry.

In any event:

My post on why I turned down a "very nice deal":
http://www.courtneymilan.com/ramblings/2011/05/31/on-the-self-publishing-horizon/

An interview with Smart Bitch Sarah Wendell:
http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com/index.php/weblog/comments/interview-with-courtney-milan-self-publishing-her-next-novel/

And a discussion distribution (and indie publishing) at Dear Author:
http://dearauthor.com/features/letters-of-opinion/courtney-milan-on-self-publishing/

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Courtney Milan said:
I know I'm failing from the start because I don't have a sexy video of a monkey and a frog to draw everyone in, and I also can't say I turned down half a million bucks like Barry Eisler did, but we already know I'm barely 1/7th as cool as Barry.

Enjoy!
Well, I'd love to have a problem like yours, or his. And, don't get down on yourself -- I think you're at least 1/5th as cool as Barry.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mel Comley said:
Well done Courtney 8% is laughable. Don't these guys realise that without the authors they wouldn't make any money at all? ::)
Yeah, that is a crazy figure. How do they justify that? Once an ebook is created, there's very little cost to maintain it.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Courtney, I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I think this was a very smart business decision on your part and I know you're going to ROCK it!

#124 overall on your first weekend is the proof!!!

(And HQN's royalty rates are pitiful.)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm so excited for you, Courtney. Boy oh boy, have you done everything right with this release. The gorgeous cover, sending your ebook out for reviews, the guest blog posts. Go you!

:) Bella

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That is awesome.  I wonder if they were stunned you walked.  Did it take a lot of deliberating on your part, or did you know going into negotiations that you'd walk if they didn't raise the e-book royalty rate?  You've probably inspired some other authors to do the same.  Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm having trouble deciding if the publishing industry is just stupid or insulting. Why would anyone in their right mind give up the ebook rights for less than the 35 percent Amazon is offering?

Funny, I wrote a post on my blog this weekend about how in the future authors would be the ones sending rejection letters to book publishers. http://wp.me/p1tY8I-2L

Go Courtney!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lisa Scott said:
That is awesome. I wonder if they were stunned you walked. Did it take a lot of deliberating on your part, or did you know going into negotiations that you'd walk if they didn't raise the e-book royalty rate? You've probably inspired some other authors to do the same. Best of luck to you.
Well, both.

It took a lot of deliberating, but all of that took place before we were in negotiations. I had many, many spreadsheets. By the time we were in negotiations, it basically was like this:

"About that e-book royalty rate--"
"Not changing."
"All righty then. Good bye."

·
Registered
632 Posts
OMG, I can't believe they walked away from the chance at a money making series because of an ebook royalty rate.  And I'm sure it was a reasonable rate you wanted, like industry standards.  Wow.  Just Wow.  It's like they don't even know how well their genre sells on Amazon.

This is great for you, though.  You can bank on the series popularity, price it at less than they are selling the other two and STILL make more money than you would have otherwise, not to mention retaining your readers with your commitment to quality and your good name.  Good luck!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I wonder how many other authors like you will have to walk before they decide hmm...maybe we should rethink that rate.  That's awesome that you had your agent's support.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kCopeseeley said:
OMG, I can't believe they walked away from the chance at a money making series because of an ebook royalty rate. And I'm sure it was a reasonable rate you wanted, like industry standards. Wow. Just Wow. It's like they don't even know how well their genre sells on Amazon.
I'm pretty sure they know precisely how much they sell on Amazon. The poor category authors only get 6%, too. They're going to hold on until they don't have a choice, and I'm not sure when that will be.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Courtney, that was fascinating and educational reading.  I forget which one the "acknowledgments" quote was in, but I thought that was very kind and sets a good tone for all of us struggling in this paradigm shift of publishing today.

Thanks for sharing! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts