1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are mine (from the info I know so far):

Pros
-doesn't use paper (thus saving trees!)
-can hold hundreds of books, all in a package the size of a small paperback or DVD case (no more bookshelves taking up all that room! and you can take them all with you wherever you go)
-all books purchased are backed up on your Amazon.com account so if your Kindle is damaged or lost you can just download them again to your new Kindle
-slot for SD card
-new releases and bestsellers are $9.99 as opposed to the upwards of $30 many hardcovers are these days
-wireless book shopping and delivery!
-it'll be much more difficult for me to skip ahead and read a little bit, giving things away (my bad reading habit)
-etc.

Cons
-you don't have the books you purchased in hard copy
-no light for reading in the dark (NOT backlit, but maybe a little recessed LED at the top of the screen that would shine down on the screen (with on/off switch of course) - I don't have a Kindle yet though, would this work or would it glare?)

Correct me if anything here is inaccurate!

I've watched the Kindle video on amazon.com several times now and noticed that the screen briefly flashes black when changing pages - does this bother anybody?
Also, does anyone know why the estimated shipping time is currently 2-3 weeks even though it says they are in stock? If I choose overnight shipping will I get it the next day or is there a processing time that cannot be avoided?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Miss Molly said:
Cons
-you don't have the books you purchased in hard copy
-no light for reading in the dark (NOT backlit, but maybe a little recessed LED at the top of the screen that would shine down on the screen (with on/off switch of course) - I don't have a Kindle yet though, would this work or would it glare?)
These are both, actually, Pros for me. I don't want any more stuff in my house, and backlit screens give me eyestrain after a few hours. As for a reading lamp, I have several of those. ;D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pidgeon92 said:
These are both, actually, Pros for me. I don't want any more stuff in my house, and backlit screens give me eyestrain after a few hours. As for a reading lamp, I have several of those. ;D
True! I could get a separate little reading lamp. :) And you are right, I don't want more books cluttering up my space either - some special books I would prefer in hard copy, but not very many. I guess it's a very minor con! ;D

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I did just check the status of the Kindle on Amazon, I don't see anything that indicates they are in stock.

There is a flashing when you turn the page. It hasn't bothered me at all, but others have reported that it does bother them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The flashing seemed prominent when I first started using my Kindle, but I just realized that I stopped noticing it within the first hour or so.  It's amazingly easy to become absorbed in a Kindle book just as I would a regular book.  I'm not really conscious of clicking the Next Page button, either.  It just "happens."

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I am with Pidgeon on all accounts! I have found any cons. I kinda wish the web browsing was a bit better, but I have a desktop computer, a laptop and a SmartPhone that all do that so it really isn't necessary. I bought to read books and I am satisfied.

A

·
0 Posts
The flash doesn't bother me at all. Some folks say the price is a con, but I think it's well worth it, even if you have to save your pennies for awhile.  :D

Oprah showcasing the Kindle caused Amazon to run out of them, so the three week shipping is probably pretty accurate. I ordered mine on 10/30(got it 11/5) and I believe they went out of stock the very next day. I'm sure they are making more as fast as they can!  :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Essensia said:
The flashing seemed prominent when I first started using my Kindle, but I just realized that I stopped noticing it within the first hour or so. It's amazingly easy to become absorbed in a Kindle book just as I would a regular book. I'm not really conscious of clicking the Next Page button, either. It just "happens."
I don't really notice the flash anymore either.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The flash doesn't bother me as I've gotten into the habit of hitting the button at the beginning of the last sentence. It becomes pretty seamless once you get used to it. I find that I do read a lot faster now than I would a DTB :)

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
The only complaint that I have with the Kindle is the fact that it doesn’t support tables.

Using tables to organize information in rows and columns is important for many text books or technical books and essential for books with code snippets.

It seems to me that if the powers-that-be within Amazon would add that feature it would open a whole new and very profitable market for them. The last paperback, programming manual I bought from Microsoft Press cost about $60.00 and it weighs five pounds.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Some other Pros:

Able to read in bright sun light (the flip side of not having a backlit screen) it reads like an actual book, where ever you are. Books are not backlit either but that has not stopped anyone from buying one. But if you took it outside to read and the page disappeared that would kind of suck, don't you think?

Free samples, being able to read a full chapter at my leisure is a great way for me to pick books I will enjoy. In book stores, I never feel like I can sit back and read enough, so I often bought books I ended up not really liking and sometimes not finishing.

I think it makes reading more fun and easier, so I will read even more.

Cons:
My only concern is dropping it and breaking it, so I wish it was more durable...

·
Registered
79 Posts
The main pros:
1) You can carry around many books in one small light package
2) All the free books on the internet are now usable (I would not read them off an computer screen)

Cons:
1) Why the power switches on the back???

There are more cons to ebooks in general not just the Kindle:
1) With the current state of technology they don't work well for graphically oriented material
2) Books are still being sold in proprietary formats.  Silly, silly, silly.

Edit: You know my pros aren't really specific to the Kindle either, lol. 

So a Kindle specific pro:
1) The wireless feature, I can so easily download my morning newspaper, check wikipedia for a word or subject, look at a book review, all from my couch, car, office, wherever whispernet can be found.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No cons, all pros.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
OK, maybe one con (and I am hopeful that there may be a software update sometime in the near future)... I would like to have files or someway of storing my reading material so as to make it easier to locate books and only show my current reading list on the home screen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Angela said:
OK, maybe one con (and I am hopeful that there may be a software update sometime in the near future)... I would like to have files or someway of storing my reading material so as to make it easier to locate books and only show my current reading list on the home screen.
You can sort the list to show them in the order they were last read. That puts the ones you're currently reading at the top.

·
Registered
433 Posts
No cons. Still on honeymoon.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Pros:

-Very easy to read on
-adjustable font size - when I get tired I just up the font a notch and voila, I can read longer!
-Whispernet!  I love being able to buy a book while I'm at work and the fact that turning whispernet on doesn't interfere with all the radio equipment is awesome. 
-storage capacity - I always have a variety of books to choose from
-lightweight & easy to hold
-it has definitely gotten me to read more and to read things I never would have otherwise

Cons:

-on/off and whispernet switches on the back - I think they'd have been better off someplace else
-price - I love my Kindle so much I'd love to be able to give them as gifts to my mom and sister who have always been avid readers but at $359 I just can't

The only other cons I've come up with don't have anything to do with the actual Kindle itself.  I'd like to see a bigger variety of cases and other accessories.  I'd like to be able to get the Harry Potter series on Kindle, I loved those books and I think JK is doing her readers a big disservice by not allowing them to be published in the e-format. 

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
TheJohnNewton said:
You can sort the list to show them in the order they were last read. That puts the ones you're currently reading at the top.
That is how I have them sorted right now, but I guess what I wish for is a cleaner looking home page... ONLY my current selections and the abililty to file away the others in folders for ease of selection rather than page after page after page...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts