Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put my back cover blurb in my ebook, but what do you call it on the table of contents?

Just the book name? Summary? Something?

Also, where do you place it? Kindle opens directly to the first chapter, and it doesn't really seem necessary to take up the look inside space with a blurb (but my books long, so it's not really a matter of space, just redundancy), so I'm thinking it can just be attached to the end of the book, but then that seems pointless if they don't look for it....

I think the real problem is I just overthink every little step.

Anyways, I'd love to hear how you all set this up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the books are only related by genre or the author than I would list them as "Other Books By <name>" or "More Books Like This One"

If the other books you're linking are part of the series I would list that section as "Continue The Story..."

I also keep all of this matter at the very end of my books, that way I know that when people get to it they hopefully finished my book and like it enough to keep going.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've heard that readers sometimes appreciate having the blurb at the beginning of the ebook so as they work their way through their to-read pile, they can have a quick refresher right there to help them remember what the book is about. Might be the difference between your book heading to the top of the to-read pile or lingering in the middle. Personally, I love not having to fiddle around with going back to Amazon to read the blurb. I think it's really awesome when the author puts it right at the beginning for me and my bad memory.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Because ebooks have no back cover it can be hard for readers to remember what a book is about.

At the bottom of the copright page I put "Summary:" then a short one or two sentence description.

Personally, I think ebooks should've been constructed with a back cover image at the end of the book that could be viewed or not viewed exactly the same as the front cover.

Hope that helps!

Rue

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jennifer R P said:
I don't think you should actually put the blurb in the ebook. There's no need.
Oh yes, I certianly do think that there is a need.

Last week I asked just this same question and the advice I got was to put the book description right after the title page. I am going to do that, as well as to link to it from the Table of Contents.

I have a huge pile of To Be Read samples, free books, and purchased books on my reader and some have been there a long time. Many do not have embedded meta-data that I can call up in my readers. The result is that I frequently come across books that I have no clue as to what they are. I am not going to put the reader down and call up Amazon on a web browser to check the books's listing. So, more and more, I am just deleting the unknown books.

I have heard this same complaint from other people and I do not want anything that I eventually publish suffering a similar fate.

It is intensely irritating to come across a book that gives me not the slightest inkling of what it might be about, or even what genre it might be.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I stick it in the front and call it "About This Novel" or something like that.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I call it Story Summary, put it right before Chapter 1, and make sure it's in the Table of Contents. As a reader I want it there, and not many books have it.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Jennifer R P said:
I don't think you should actually put the blurb in the ebook. There's no need.
Sure there is. A lot of people will load up their devices with several ebooks at a time, especially if they're free. I certainly did this during Digital Book Day a few months back. Now going through those ebooks, I have absolutely no idea what they're about unless I go to Amazon and look them up.

To the OP, I put my blurbs on my title page, right above the title of the book.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I put the description on the title page just below the title image. I try to keep it all to one page on most devices with a regular size font. Of course if people read at large sizes (and I'm sure many do), then it will occupy two pages, but I've never had any complaints.

You can see how I format these by looking at one of our book samples on Amazon or iTunes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nico said:
I put the description on the title page just below the title image. I try to keep it all to one page on most devices with a regular size font. Of course if people read at large sizes (and I'm sure many do), then it will occupy two pages, but I've never had any complaints.

You can see how I format these by looking at one of our book samples on Amazon or iTunes.
Thanks, just checked out one of the books. I love how it's directly after the picture. It seems like a natural fit!

Thanks everyone for the input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts