Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid a professional sales copy writer to re-write my blurbs for some of my books and some client books. The result?

Across the board: 4%-22% increase in sales depending on the books so far. Some more than others, etc...

Here's the thing. We're writers, but we're not sales copy writers. This is a special type of writing that not many can do well. Heck, I've been in the Internet marketing business for over 15-years and I still stink at sales copy writing. It's an art. Just like writing your vampire teen fiction novel.

Despite what you may believe, or want to believe, there's a reason that excellent sales copy sells more "stuff". Because it helps convince the buyer that they NEED to have it. The same is the truth for book blurbs.

Anyway... my point of posting this is for you to really think about "sales-ifying" your blurbs. Yes, even fiction stuff. It works, if done right. Don't look at any of my books on my Amazon page, I haven't done those yet.

By the way, it wasn't cheap. About $100 per description. But well worth it so far.

Anyone else seen similar bumps with good sales-driven blurbs?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Very interesting if your sales bump is from that and not ads, etc.

I'm curious. How did the sales guy know enough about the book to write the blurb so well? Are you sharing who this guy/gal is? Or maybe that's not allowed. I'm not good at knowing rules.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MH Sargent said:
Very interesting if your sales bump is from that and not ads, etc.

I'm curious. How did the sales guy know enough about the book to write the blurb so well? Are you sharing who this guy/gal is? Or maybe that's not allowed. I'm not good at knowing rules.
You don't actually need to know about something to be able to give the impression you know about it. The OP probably provided an extended synopsis of the book to the writer, though. Or maybe the writer just used the blurb the author had created himself and made it more appealing.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'd like to know who you hired as well...did ya put an ad in the Warrior Forum for a seasoned guru?  ;D  (That's actually not a bad idea...I should pop in over there.)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would like to know who you went to as well.  Also I would like to see a before and after sample as well to get a better idea of what the improvement was

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm keeping it to myself, sorry. :( For now.

And I sent full copies of the book to them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I like it!

This is why it's a good idea to set aside a percentage of your earnings for business development. Every time you get it up to a good amount of money use it to make a new cover or rewrite a blurb or test out some advertising.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've considered doing this. I write ad copy, but I'm horrible when it comes to book blurbs. I find myself trying to be "salesy" without coming across too "salesy." It's just not my thing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vukovina said:
That's impressive. 4-22% is a lot! Have your sales gone up on the book for which you didn't get new blurbs, too?
Yes, but I don't have any scientific numbers on that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts