Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that pages read in KENP are very low even during promotions in which I get quite a good response. I have also found I get very few KENP sales from AMS ads. As a result, KENP only amounts to <20% of sales since my launch.

Does anyone have tips specifically for raising KENP sales?

The main reason I chose KU is for the KENP reads, so if it's not going to work for me I'll go Permafree on the first book.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am confused. You keep using KENP.  That is kindle edition normalized pages.  It's what they use to determine the payout for kindle unlimited page reads.  They take all the words, fonts, formatting, and make everything equal.  Now if you're talking straight up page reads, yes, it's less than half a penny per page read, though you're not going to get KENP sales, you may get borrows.  I know it sounds sort of nit picky on my part, but I am confused on what you're asking. 

Are you wanting to increase your pages read through kindle unlimited?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
MalcolmJWardlaw said:
I find that pages read in KENP are very low even during promotions in which I get quite a good response. I have also found I get very few KENP sales from AMS ads. As a result, KENP only amounts to <20% of sales since my launch.

Does anyone have tips specifically for raising KENP sales?

The main reason I chose KU is for the KENP reads, so if it's not going to work for me I'll go Permafree on the first book.
I'm also having some difficulty figuring out what you're asking. I'm going to assume that when you're saying 'KENP sales' you mean 'borrows and pages read', in which case there are likely a couple of things at play here. One could be that your pages read are low because people are starting the book but not finishing it. If that's the case, the only way you're going to raise your KENP is if you figure out a way to keep people reading all the way through. Another issue could be that if you're running Select Free Day promos, people are simply downloading the book for free rather than borrowing it in KU, which means you won't get any page reads for those copies.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if the OP was unclear. When I talked about 'KENP sales' yes I was talking about KU borrows pages read.

If I run a promo, it causes a sharp increase in KENP, but the page reads die off quickly after the promo. Similarly sales through AMS ads are quite brisk during the promo but then die away afterwards. The lesson is obviously that you need success to get book sales. But you need book sales to have success...

So far as the readibility of the book goes, I've had enough feedback from well-qualified strangers to be assured the book is highly regarded at least by some. The number of ratings it has, in relation to the number of sales and downloads is fairly high by the usual standards (1 in 1000 free downloads or 1 in 100 paid sales).

The reason I asked the question is that when a book is not in promotion I would expect KU borrows to be the dominant way that readers access it, but that is not turning out to be the case.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
MalcolmJWardlaw said:
Sorry if the OP was unclear. When I talked about 'KENP sales' yes I was talking about KU borrows pages read.

If I run a promo, it causes a sharp increase in KENP, but the page reads die off quickly after the promo. Similarly sales through AMS ads are quite brisk during the promo but then die away afterwards. The lesson is obviously that you need success to get book sales. But you need book sales to have success...

So far as the readibility of the book goes, I've had enough feedback from well-qualified strangers to be assured the book is highly regarded at least by some. The number of ratings it has, in relation to the number of sales and downloads is fairly high by the usual standards (1 in 1000 free downloads or 1 in 100 paid sales).
So are you saying that you get sales through AMS when you drop the price, but not when the promo is over and the price goes back to normal? Also, are you talking specifically about Book 1, or about the entire series?

I would argue that you need effective marketing to get book sales, not success. The fact that both sales and borrows die away after a promo suggests to me that your promos are reasonably effective, but your AMS ads are not. The fact that your page reads are also dying away after promos makes me think that people are trying the books but not continuing to read through the series.

So the question then becomes, are you advertising it to the people who will regard the book highly? It might be a matter of needing to tweak your ads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MalcolmJWardlaw said:

The reason I asked the question is that when a book is not in promotion I would expect KU borrows to be the dominant way that readers access it, but that is not turning out to be the case.
So, you're basically asking why the book's not selling and-when it is (during promotions), why the sales are more dominant than the page reads?

Different genres have different readerships and those readerships interact with Amazon differently. For example, I believe (for most people) cozy mysteries have readerships that rely on page reads. I've personally found thrillers to be a more even split. But even among genres, ymmv. Different people cultivate different audiences. More than that, I think you need to look at your books and your packaging (against the genre in which they belong) and try to figure out why they're not getting traction from the ads.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShayneRutherford said:
So are you saying that you get sales through AMS when you drop the price, but not when the promo is over and the price goes back to normal? Also, are you talking specifically about Book 1, or about the entire series?
I get sales of the entire series. In fact, most of the paid sales during the promo were people buying books 2-5 as a job lot at full price. The promo basically paid for itself.

ShayneRutherford said:
I would argue that you need effective marketing to get book sales, not success. The fact that both sales and borrows die away after a promo suggests to me that your promos are reasonably effective, but your AMS ads are not. The fact that your page reads are also dying away after promos makes me think that people are trying the books but not continuing to read through the series.

So the question then becomes, are you advertising it to the people who will regard the book highly? It might be a matter of needing to tweak your ads.
I was reading in the Written Word Media authors' survey for 2020 (which has just come out) that 75% of authors who were in the lowest income group were not getting results with AMS ads. Whereas the majority of established authors were getting good results through AMS. Now, this can be read in different ways. It could confirm that you need some success for AMS ads to deliver (as per my finding) or it could be that the established authors are simply better at marketing and offer better products (which is doubtless also be true).

So far as the AMS goes, I find it hard to identify effective key words. Out of 900 in my current campaign, only 3 produce decent results at the moment (which supports your point).

It's very hard to judge how good the marketing is when one is an unknown. Just being a recognised presence is a massive marketing advantage quite independent of the books.

I'm thinking of going Permafree as it is much easier to achieve sustained visibility in the Top 50 of various sub-genres. I also have doubts about the cover of my Book 1 (the covers have all changed since those shown below).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts