Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  All,

On this arctic Chicago morning, I'm contemplating book production. Does anybody know of any place that I can download quality InDesign Templates for different trim sizes? I can't seem to find them, but it seems like this would be of primary service for DIY Indies--even if it was a paid download scheme.

Keith

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Keith Strohm said:
All,

On this arctic Chicago morning, I'm contemplating book production. Does anybody know of any place that I can download quality InDesign Templates for different trim sizes? I can't seem to find them, but it seems like this would be of primary service for DIY Indies--even if it was a paid download scheme.

Keith
Grab them from Lightning Source front page. You don't even have to log in. Look for template generator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vera Nazarian said:
Grab them from Lightning Source front page. You don't even have to log in. Look for template generator.
Holy chipotle, Batman!!! Are you serious? That is full of awesome sauce! Thank you so much, Vera!!

Keith

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  At the high risk of morphing this thread...does anybody do their actual writing right in the InDesign file? That would seem to be one way to avoid hidden formatting in the text.

Keith

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  Vera,

I checked out Lightning Source, and all I could find was the Cover Template Generator...which is very helpful! Do you know if that file also includes an Interior Template? I'm also looking for a template that I can easily drop my text in and start flowing it.

Keith

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Keith Strohm said:
Vera,

I checked out Lightning Source, and all I could find was the Cover Template Generator...which is very helpful! Do you know if that file also includes an Interior Template? I'm also looking for a template that I can easily drop my text in and start flowing it.

Keith
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about interior templates. In fact, I doubt they exist unless InDesign itself has some pre-set sizes when you select a new document page size... I need to look the next time I use it. Otherwise you might set up your own interior template in Indd, should be easy-- unlike cover templates.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  Thanks Vera! The cover template really was helpful! I had the same thought re: templates. I'm subscribed to Lynda.com, and I've been fiddling with InD. I have a project coming up, and was hoping to move on it fast. In the end, though, mastering this skill will just benefit my publishing business. So it looks like I'll bite the bullet! :)

That Cover template Generator, though, will truly save my bacon. Thanks again!

Keith

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Keith Strohm said:
At the high risk of morphing this thread...does anybody do their actual writing right in the InDesign file? That would seem to be one way to avoid hidden formatting in the text. Keith
Cold day here too across the lake (in Detroit).
Best solution to stripping hidden formatting is to use a straight text editor (notepad if you are on Windows, gedit if on Linux) to copy your text and paste it in there then copy from the text program to whatever other program you want to use. You could try saving as a ".txt" file from your word processor that you wrote in then import to Indesign/etc (some word processors are nice and give you what you expect, others are not).
I use libreoffice.org software and when I finish with a writing project I copy all the text from the working document and paste it into a new clean file as "unformatted text" since I know that takes out the possibility for any misshapen formatting. You could try that too - inexpensive as Libreoffice is a free download. My last group of book uploads to Kindle I saved from libreoffice to ".doc (98/2000/xp)" and uploaded that file direct to Amazon.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Vera Nazarian said:
No way - I'd looked for InDesign templates to match the CreateSpace ones a while back but came up blank.
Totally going to go this route if I can.

Vera Nazarian said:
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about interior templates. In fact, I doubt they exist unless InDesign itself has some pre-set sizes when you select a new document page size... I need to look the next time I use it. Otherwise you might set up your own interior template in Indd, should be easy-- unlike cover templates.
Awwww… and then I read the above. :-\

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jvin248 said:
Cold day here too across the lake (in Detroit).
Best solution to stripping hidden formatting is to use a straight text editor (notepad if you are on Windows, gedit if on Linux) to copy your text and paste it in there then copy from the text program to whatever other program you want to use. You could try saving as a ".txt" file from your word processor that you wrote in then import to Indesign/etc (some word processors are nice and give you what you expect, others are not).
I use libreoffice.org software and when I finish with a writing project I copy all the text from the working document and paste it into a new clean file as "unformatted text" since I know that takes out the possibility for any misshapen formatting. You could try that too - inexpensive as Libreoffice is a free download. My last group of book uploads to Kindle I saved from libreoffice to ".doc (98/2000/xp)" and uploaded that file direct to Amazon.
I'm not an expert in InDesign (obviously), but if I remember correctly, the last few times I copied or imported text from word, InDesign auto-stripped all formatting. If that's not the case, then I'll definitely take a look at your suggestions. :) Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts