Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever sold their books at a con? I promoted at NY Comic Con last year, but I was a guest at a podcasting table (no selling allowed but I did a bunch of contest giveaways). I wound up getting a couple of great reviews out the deal, but if I'm honest, I don't think handing out postcards did much good. Truth be told, 99% of the postcards/swag that I picked up that day are still in a bag waiting to be gone through. How many people even looked at my ad after dropping it in their bag? For those who have bought a table at a con, big or small venue, to sell print copies, could you answer any of the following questions?

-- Did you also sell ebooks as well? In what way?
-- Did you group other authors together to share a table, splitting the cost? (FYI: just found out a small press table near big 6 publishers at NYCC is $950, so that's not happening. Read a blog about an indie who did it and had a worthwhile experience. )
-- Was the whole deal (cost/time/materials) worth it?
-- How about street or craft fairs? Were they worthwhile ventures?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I recommend you PM Julie Bards and Sages.  She has lots of experience in this area and was very helpful in a related thread recently.  I think the original thread was posted by Brian Kittrell.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ellecasey said:
I recommend you PM Julie Bards and Sages. She has lots of experience in this area and was very helpful in a related thread recently. I think the original thread was posted by Brian Kittrell.
Thanks so much, Elle! And I love the caption below your pic.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've done cons a number of ways.

* Self - in the dealer room when not on panels
* Trad - on panels but not in the dealer room
* Trad - Signing only (at a given time) at BEA or NY Comic Con

The first moved very few books - maybe 20 - 30 over 3 days

The second I would run into a few people who said they downloaded a kindle - I saw a minor uptake in ratings for the time at the con but nothing significant

The third was great - went through all the books the publisher was giving out in a short period of time (30 - 45 mins).  Of course they were free so I would hope note to have too much problem -but some have.

In general...if you go to cons because you like to interact with readers/writers - do so.  But don't look at it as a "book selling" opportunity because given the amount of time you are there - not many books are sold.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I know somebody out there is experimenting with these little cards you can sell to people for the price of an ebook (whatever your ebook is), and it has a code on it that allows them to download a copy in the format of their choice.  You can customize the cards with your book's cover, etc.  It's a cool idea for cons.  Wish I could remember the name.  I seem to recall that it has "green" in the name.  Anybody know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ElHawk said:
I know somebody out there is experimenting with these little cards you can sell to people for the price of an ebook (whatever your ebook is), and it has a code on it that allows them to download a copy in the format of their choice. You can customize the cards with your book's cover, etc. It's a cool idea for cons. Wish I could remember the name. I seem to recall that it has "green" in the name. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
I was at a con recently where a couple authors used this in different ways. One had a Smashwords coupon code that was going to last for a couple days, and another had a note that the book would be going free on their website for two days after the con with the address.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
ElHawk said:
I know somebody out there is experimenting with these little cards you can sell to people for the price of an ebook (whatever your ebook is), and it has a code on it that allows them to download a copy in the format of their choice. You can customize the cards with your book's cover, etc. It's a cool idea for cons. Wish I could remember the name. I seem to recall that it has "green" in the name. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
It's Livrada. But I caution you, it works like a gift copy at Amazon, so the recipient can choose to purchase someone else's book and not yours with the card. Read their FAQs and you'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts