Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Has anyone sent their self-pub books to major publications for reviews? Also, is it worth paying for a review (ie. Kirkus, Publisher's Weekly, etc)?

I see quotes from recognizable publications being used on ads so I'm wondering if it's something worth pursuing.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Never sent a book to a major publication for review...if you got to the point where you were selling enough books to have them offer you a deal, then you're probably to the point where you're making more money without them.

Reviews aren't worth paying for, in my opinion; get organic reviews for free--I think a reader seeing your book has 5 stars on Amazon is worth more than a Publisher Weekly review. It's overpriced and doesn't give you any measurable return on your investment. http://readersfavorite.com has a free review service (and an expedited one for $59).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scottdouglas said:
Never sent a book to a major publication for review...if you got to the point where you were selling enough books to have them offer you a deal, then you're probably to the point where you're making more money without them.

Reviews aren't worth paying for, in my opinion; get organic reviews for free--I think a reader seeing your book has 5 stars on Amazon is worth more than a Publisher Weekly review. It's overpriced and doesn't give you any measurable return on your investment. http://readersfavorite.com has a free review service (and an expedited one for $59).
I'd never heard of readersfavorite. I'm skeptical of paying for reviews, especially, those that promise 4 or 5-star reviews. But I'll take a look. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ldparker said:
Check out Hidden Gems....from what I have heard, Kirkus Reviews for Indies are generally a waste of money for a number of reasons.
Thanks! I'll take a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
ldparker said:
Check out Hidden Gems....from what I have heard, Kirkus Reviews for Indies are generally a waste of money for a number of reasons.
Sadly, it's impossible to book with Hidden Gems as they have no available slots for the foreseeable future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Midwest doesn’t post to amazon for you, but you can log into your author central account and post it as an editorial review.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Alondo said:
Do Midwest post reviews to Amazon?
No. Nor does Kirkus or Publisher's Weekly or the host of other smaller websites out there that write indie book reviews for a fee. If a website is offering editorial reviews for a fee and states that they post the review to Amazon, that's a huge red flag that the site is not legitimate because that's a blatant violation of Amazon's TOS.

What you can do with these reviews is post them (in whole or part) in the editorial section of the book's page on Amazon. You can also pull quotes out of the review and put them on the back cover or use them in your ad copy.

If what you're looking for is Amazon reviews, you want to use an ARC service. BookSprout, NetGalley, HiddenGems, and BookSirens are the ones I know of off the top of my head and which have a good reputation as legitimate services. They charge fees, too, but what you're paying for there is to have your book advertised to readers who agree to accept an ARC in exchange for writing an honest review; the reviewer isn't getting paid an incentive to write a review.

I've used BookSirens twice. All the reviews (I have ~20 from there) I received came from real people and none have been removed from Amazon. BookSirens lets you select if you prefer a review on GR or Amazon. (But you'll get more readers/reviews if you go with both because not all readers use or like Amazon.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alcyone said:
No. Nor does Kirkus or Publisher's Weekly or the host of other smaller websites out there that write indie book reviews for a fee. If a website is offering editorial reviews for a fee and states that they post the review to Amazon, that's a huge red flag that the site is not legitimate because that's a blatant violation of Amazon's TOS.

What you can do with these reviews is post them (in whole or part) in the editorial section of the book's page on Amazon. You can also pull quotes out of the review and put them on the back cover or use them in your ad copy.

If what you're looking for is Amazon reviews, you want to use an ARC service. BookSprout, NetGalley, HiddenGems, and BookSirens are the ones I know of off the top of my head and which have a good reputation as legitimate services. They charge fees, too, but what you're paying for there is to have your book advertised to readers who agree to accept an ARC in exchange for writing an honest review; the reviewer isn't getting paid an incentive to write a review.

I've used BookSirens twice. All the reviews (I have ~20 from there) I received came from real people and none have been removed from Amazon. BookSirens lets you select if you prefer a review on GR or Amazon. (But you'll get more readers/reviews if you go with both because not all readers use or like Amazon.)
Thank you! :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top