Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm just having an argument with someone over at AW who told me to "get real" because I said that some agents were trawling through the Kindle rankings looking to sign self-published writers.

I hit back straight away with the example of our very own Saffina Deforges who was signed by an agent 2 weeks ago.

Why do these people deny the most basic, provable facts?

Dave

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would love to throw some other names at them, but I want to be sure of what I am saying (and they have to be writers that were approached by agents rather than the other way around). This are ones I'm pretty sure about

HP Mallory
Victorine Lieske
Michael Sullivan

Any more? Am I right with those three?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I haven't had any agents approach me yet, but I did have an editor email, asking if I'd like to submit a book to her for publication.

There's no question agents and editors are scouring Amazon, looking for new talent.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tawnytaylor said:
I haven't had any agents approach me yet, but I did have an editor email, asking if I'd like to submit a book to her for publication.

There's no question agents and editors are scouring Amazon, looking for new talent.
Congratulations.

There is no doubt about it, I have heard it too many times. Sometimes the arch-defenders of traditional publishing will go to extreme lengths to deny the reality of what is happening around them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm sure John Locke on his blog or in an interview has said that when Saving Rachel hit big he had multiple agents approach him. It's not even an argument to be honest, if you are selling lots and lots and lots of books you will get serious interest from agents and publishers. I mean, duh!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Mel Comley said:
:D :D :D

Sorry for being thick but what's AW?
Absolute Write. It's a good place for writers looking to hear about others' experiences with agents, to get their query letters shredded, and to support each other as they live through the limbo of hearing back from agents, getting agents, then hearing back from editors while their books are on submission. It's also a great place to get beta-readers.

That being said, it's NOT a great place to talk about how you want to be a self-published author, or to talk about how self-published authors CAN be successful, because when you do, in most cases they'll react like you just admitted you butter your toast with placenta :eek: . or Something.

I never got as far as talking about my self-published dreams, I simply left because I knew I wouldn't fit in there anymore.

Then I came here, and I'm glad :)

(It's still a good place if you're pursuing the traditional route, or if you need some blunt critique for your work. I made some friends there who Im still friends with on Twitter...nice people, just a different view point)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AW is Absolute Write. It's a good forum as long as you avoid the self-publishing conversations. They tend to get a little aggressive/dismissive. Outside of that they have excellent advice on agents, sections on short story markets, general stuff on the craft of writing, and an excellent service in warning people about dodgy agents, editors, and publishing companies.

A lot of trade published writers, agents, editors, and people who work in publishing companies hang out there, so I find the self-publishing conversations quite tilted. I couldn't let this pass though.

I have eight on my list now:

Saffina Desforges - signed in May
Mel Comley - signed in May with Richard Curtis
LC Evans - signed in April
Victorine Lieske - signed in March with Rachel Vogel of Movable Type
Scott Neumyer - signed in January with Anna Webman of Curtis Brown

and of course Hocking, Locke, and HP Mallory

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plus, I am sure there are lots of people who have been approached by agents in one form or another but didn't sign for whatever reason.

I was contacted by a UK agent about one of my short stories - about turning it into a YA novel. I'm not convinced it's the project I want to do next, but we will see.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Lexi,

This is something I only just began researching, so I don't know if any - yet.

Saffina is from the UK (I believe) but was approached by US agents.

The e-book market is about a year ahead in the US, so it could be something we see happening in the UK as the market there grows.

Congratulations on the Hungarian publisher, that's fantastic.

Dave

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Thanks Romi, hey you're in safe hands around here.

Lexi, I was contacted by a couple of British agents but frankly they were very ignorant in their emails, avoided the questions I asked etc. I actually said to one of them either answer my questions or I go elsewhere, remember YOU came after me. His response, 'What can I say.' Pathetic, really.

OTOH Richard spent several hours on the phone with me going over the options and was a real gentleman. I'll have to see how things work out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was contacted by Robert Gottlieb, Trident Media New York last year because he saw my Kindle books on Amazon.com. I signed with him last fall. Add me to the list as someone you can quote to this person at AW.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts