Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're also on Twitter and Facebook. The first six contestants.

Hi, everyone! I'm excited about a new project I'm creating to support the indie author community.

I'm going to be creating a website/community at www.IndieAuthorRockstar.com that will select one indie author to highlight and promote every month. During each author's 'winning' month, the community will do all it can to turn that author into an indie rockstar. It goes a little something like this ...

Any author can choose just one of his or her self-published fictional works (excluding erotica) to participate with. There is no limit on the number of authors who can participate, but each author can only submit one book at a time. Books can and will be rejected at the discretion of the admins for the site, especially books with covers that aren't up to a relatively professional standard.

On July 1st, six of these books will be chosen at random. Everyone in the community will have one month to read or sample those six books. Over the last five days of the month, the community members (meaning, only authors who have submitted a book to the site) will vote (one vote per author) to select the featured author--the rockstar--for the following month. I'm still deciding whether the voting will be public or private--what do you think? Doing it publicly will make it easier for me to tally the votes and would be more dramatic (plus, everyone would know that the votes were counted correctly), but that might also hurt some feelings.

Then starting in August, the community will do all it can to turn the chosen author into a rockstar. Each member might choose to do things like: buy the book, recommend the book, blog about the book, interview the author, tweet about it, share on Facebook, write (HONEST!) reviews for the book, etc. So, one author gets the royal treatment every month.

This entire project will only work if the community does its part to support that month's rockstar. Everyone should want to support each month's rockstar, not only because it's a nice thing to do (and of course we're all nice people), but also because that's how you'll want to be treated if you're ever the rockstar.

On the 1st of the next month (August, in this case), five more books will be selected at random. These five will join the 2nd-place book from the previous month. Rinse, repeat. Over the last five days of the month, the community will vote again to choose the following month's rockstar. The community then gives that book the royal treatment for one month, and we continue doing this, month after month, year after year (knock on wood).

Once a book becomes one of the randomly chosen books for any given month, that author cannot be chosen again for the three months following his or her selection--unless, of course, that book is the previous month's 2nd-place winner. The 2nd-place winner each month always survives and stays among the six for the following month.

I've already bought the domain name, but I haven't set up the site yet. I'll be working on that and I'll have something up by July 1st when I'll announce the first six books chosen at random.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help with the website/blog, please let me know. I have decent skills in this area, but I'm sure I'll be able to benefit from some help.

Of course, when the site is up, everyone's welcome to blog about IndieAuthorRockstar and help us get the word out. I want this to be a fun, positive community that supports deserving indie authors. Also, please tell your author friends about this thread.

To join the community and agree to participate in it by helping to promote each month's selected rockstar (you won't be held to any specific obligation, but please don't join us unless you're willing to do your humble part), submit your book--only one book, a work of fiction--to this thread by posting a link to its page on Amazon. And please stay tuned to this thread for future announcements.

May the true rockstars find their audiences!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Sounds great! I would suggest My Sparkling Misfortune, but I'm not sure about the cover - from the feedback I get, some readers love it and for others it just doesn't work.

My second choice would be Side Effect, everyone seems to agree that the cover for that one turned out great.  :D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a friendly reminder. Please include a link to your book's Amazon page (one book only) with your comment if you'd like to be included.

G

·
I'd be happy to take a crack at checking some people's books out and participating, and so I'd be happy to lend a hand to somebody rather than submit my own books.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
foreverjuly said:
I'd be happy to take a crack at checking some people's books out and participating, and so I'd be happy to lend a hand to somebody rather than submit my own books.
Thanks, Jason. As it's currently set up, the only people who get to vote every month are the people who have submitted a book to the site. So you're more than welcome to participate as much as you'd like, but to vote you'd have to submit one of your own. Unless ...

We could create a category of authors who submit a book (because that's sort of like your proof of citizenship), but agree to bow out if they're ever randomly chosen as one of the six. But I hope everyone will participate. The idea is to find the most deserving indie books out there, not to find underrated books.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great!

I'd like to throw this in the ring.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QWZBMK

I like that the finalists are selected at random (very fair), and I like that we can pick the best of them after reading (meaning we will promote a good book). I think this is probably the best author-helping-author idea I have heard yet. Actually, the more I think about it the more I like it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 370 Posts