Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose this maybe a weird question but a pertinent one for me.  Let me lead up to it here.  I have seen a lot of enthusiasm about indie publishing on Kindle and other ereaders as well as a lot of enthusiasm about smashwords.  But as I took a closer look, most of this enthusiasm and success stories about indie publishing were articles dated back in 2010. 

I am very aware of how quickly things change online and in digital markets.  Have you seen the same enthusiasm this year, in 2011?

I've seen where authors have sold for 500 to 10,000 copies of their books a month.  Some have claimed sales of 100/day.  Again these articles were written in early to mid 2010.  Is the market just as viable, more viable, or declining at this time.  Either way, I am going to use this platform for my indie publishing projects, but I am curious.  I hope I formed this question well.

LyLyF (love ya like you're family),
Carmellita

·
Registered
440 Posts
My opinion is that more ereaders are in use every day, sales of all brands of these devices are going well. That alone tells you more people are going to be buying ebooks. Then Amazon has stated ebook sales have caught up to DTB sales. The 'early adopters' are now merging into the mainstream as grandmas and schoolkids alike get into reading devices, which may change the types of book which sell best, but who knows?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I'm still very enthusiastic about indie publishing. Even though sales have slowed a bit for me, I'm still selling over 150 a day. Even if things slow a bit more, I'm writing more books and will be publishing more material this year. And I know a lot of authors who are selling consistently.

I think the key is to balance promotion with writing new material. And never give up. There are books that sit with low sales for months and then take off.

Vicki

83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks guys.  This is very encouraging.  This is what I was hoping to hear.  I am still learning who my audience.  I have also learned that indie publishing with these devices are new territory and that many people are learning what works for them in the writing process as well as in the promotion process.  I studied the process of traditional publishing but never really pursued it to the "best" of my ability.  I just wanted to be independent.  Its just what works for me, but I wanted to know that people were still on fire about it.  This is awesome.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Victorine said:
I think the key is to balance promotion with writing new material.
And beta readers. Lots of beta readers. I'm sensing an angry tide of readers that really don't appreciate our typos. No novel will ever be perfect (mine included), but you want those first critical reviewers to be lauding your plot, not bemoaning your misuse of "than" and "then".

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I think there was a lot going on in 2010.  It was all so new, and everyone was excited about everything.

I think the same level of success (or lack there of) is going on, but it's beginning to feel more normal, so you may not be hearing as much squealing.

Camille

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My sales took off in March, increased in April, and May 2011 will top that, probably tomorrow.  I've sold over 1100 books this month.  Thus, I'm happy and it feels like success to me.

83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Justin, thank you so much I am looking for Beta Readers now, online.  I have 2 friends I know who love to read my fiction work.  However, I want people who can do proofreading as well, diligently (don't hold my manuscript or my manny as I like to call it for 3 months before getting back to me).  I looked at a site called perfect imagination but I think I am somewhat skeptical about these things.  I will also send my work to an editor after beta readers comb through it. 

All of you have been so helpful.  The more I hear about you building an audience for your work, the more excited I get.  I love hearing about other people's successes especially artists.  It just makes me all warm inside  :D aah!  I cheer for all of you, all of us.

LyLyF (love you like you're family),
Carmellita

1 - 10 of 10 Posts