Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm a new indie author who began with a short historical memoir, and then a travelogue and finally a book on history (which won a commendatation certificate).  These are all non-fiction ofcourse.  I first got published on June 3rd so its been a short while.

As I've seen here and on Goodreads in the last two weeks I've come to see indies only write fiction. 

Is there an indie market for non-fiction?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Indie is a business model and production method, in my opinion - it doesn't specify a genre.

I have seen a lot of nonfiction books I consider indie.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Non-fiction has LONG had a self-publishing industry -- a very healthy one.  A lot of people don't recognize them as "indies" because they are seen as either a part of the publishing establishment, or they are seen as a "web business" separate from publishing at all. (For instance, a lot of people have made money by selling PDFs for business books -- usually "how to get rich selling 'how to get rich' books" -- for as long as the web has been around. Just as they sold paper books from the backs of magazines before.)

Camille

·
Registered
982 Posts
There is certainly no shortage of indie non-fiction. It just isn't typically as well known about.

The simple truth is that genre fiction appeals to a wide range of people. Non-fiction tends to belong to a niche, but there are far more niches for non-fiction than there are genres.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I suppose I can say I've been an indie nonfiction writer for a few years now. I've published 4 books on Kansas history, with a few more on the way over the next few years. As far as I can see, it's about the only way to go now if your subject is local and can't be a photo book. So, no, you're not alone.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can see that at Indie Book Lounge, the nonfiction books seem to make up only about 1% of the books listed (Sci-Fi fantasy fiction being the biggest group).

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
RobertLCollins said:
I suppose I can say I've been an indie nonfiction writer for a few years now. I've published 4 books on Kansas history, with a few more on the way over the next few years. As far as I can see, it's about the only way to go now if your subject is local and can't be a photo book. So, no, you're not alone.
Yes, I'd say the majority of the indie non-fiction I have read has been local histories - much put out as self-pubbed by local historical societies and such. I seem to recall reading some biblical commentaries and dissertations that were indie, as well.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Jason Kristopher said:
I hope not.

I have a whole series of guide books and other non-fiction I want to write.
+1

I'm bringing my music tutor books out independently. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am glad to hear that I am not alone and their are other out there like me.  I suppose we have to build category need before we market our books, meaning we have to get people interested in our no-fiction genre first before we market our books since we do not have a ready made market such as that of romance and thrillers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts