Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run into this problem and figure out how to solve it?

I published a paperback on KDP using an ISBN purchased independently through my Bowker account. I do not have extended distribution selected on Amazon. I'm now adding that same title to IngramSpark.

Ingram keeps telling me that it's an "Amazon" ISBN and can't be used. It's NOT an Amazon ISBN. Obviously, I don't want to use yet another ISBN as that will mess up sales tracking and rankings.

I've sent a message to IngramSpark and gotten a canned response. Anyone have the same problem? Any ideas on how to push my ISBN through IngramSpark?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello

I'm having a very similar issue and I'm still emailing Ingram to try to understand what is going on and get it solved. My ISBN is purchased in the UK through Nielson. I am distributing the same edition through KDP and IngramSpark and I do not have extended distribution through Amazon. So, our ISBNs are not ASIN numbers - we get that. I understood that ISBNs are attributed per edition not per retailer.

My book (now available through Ingram) is available on Waterstones online, but when people try to order a print copy through a Waterstones bricks and mortar store the message 'Invalid ISBN' comes up and they are unable to order a copy.

I am emailing Waterstones, Ingram and Nielson (going round in circles it feels) to try and see what I need to do to fix this. The latest conversation with Nielson was about who is 'the main distributor' - I had to fill that out when I applied for an ISBN - maybe you did too? I want to put Ingram and KDP- they asked 'But which is the main distributor?' to which I responded that they are POD books and that will depend on the demand. I have asked them to advise me on what I should do here, I will add to this thread if I get a reply, in case this links to your predicament.

I am hoping someone with better production knowledge than me will reply to your post!

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's because if you use the same ISBN for your KDP print book, then IS treats it as already "in use."

The key is to actually place your ISBN into Ingramspark first and the KDP print afterwards, because the latter accepts it, but the former doesn't.

Sorry to say, but you'll have to get another ISBN if you want to print using IS.

·
Registered
850 Posts
JTriptych said:
It's because if you use the same ISBN for your KDP print book, then IS treats it as already "in use."
That's not exactly true, at least not in all cases. All of my nearly 30 books were through CreateSpace (which was owned by Amazon) before I then moved the Expanded Distribution to IngramSpark. So those ISBNs were already associated with Amazon (and even with ED) and IngramSpark had no problem taking them. Of course, IngramSpark did the move in the back end themselves. I just had to give them the list of ISBNs and sign a Title Transfer Addendum.

But my point is that just because an ISBN was used on KDP first is really NOT necessarily the reason IngramSpark is currently having an issue with it.

To the OP, I'd keep trying to get someone from IS who knows what they're talking about. Have you tried the online chat support?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sleeping Cat and Jtriptych - Do you think it could be to do with who is selected as the main distributor (Not sure if its the same with Bowker, but Nielson only allows you to select one)? If Ingram is selected and not KDP do you think it would make any difference?

·
Registered
138 Posts
For my two titles, I did IngramSpark first, based on this advice from Jane Friedman's Self-Pub guide. (It's a couple years old and so refers to CreateSpace not KDP)

To be able to use both services in tandem, you need to buy your own ISBN numbers (as described in Small Press and Administration Setup), and ensure that you do NOT select expanded distribution through CreateSpace. To ensure no confusion with either service and their distribution methods, it's generally better to upload your POD book files to IngramSpark first, then CreateSpace, but in theory, you shouldn't have a problem either way. If you try to ask either CreateSpace or IngramSpark if it's OK to use both services at the same time for the same book, you aren't likely to get a straight answer, so don't bother. There's nothing in their terms and conditions that disallow it, as long as you're using your own ISBN.

I would encourage you to keep trying to get someone at IS to talk to you. It's your ISBN, so it should be no problem.

Let us know what the resolution is - others may face the same issue.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I can confirm that it doesn't matter who you upload to first. I've done it BOTH ways plenty of times. One time it was even months down the road because I realized I forgot to upload some titles to IS. Oops.

·
Registered
850 Posts
JM Hendrikx said:
Do you think it could be to do with who is selected as the main distributor (Not sure if its the same with Bowker, but Nielson only allows you to select one)?
I'm afraid I can't answer this. I'm in the US and the Bowker record doesn't require the publisher to name a distributor. The field is there, but it's not required, so I leave it blank.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
JTriptych said:
I've had the same issue. Fortunately, I had a big ole block of purchased ISBNs, so it was an easy fix.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
I had Sarah's experience when moving a book to IngramSpark. I was told to drop Expanded Distribution and check back in a month or so; there was no whimper about the ISBN.

However, there have been enough complaints along this line in the past several months that I suspect Jane Friedman's advice was prescient: publish through IngramSpark first, KDP Print second.

(And hope, I suppose, that Amazon doesn't start to play the same game.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have found Laura at Ingram to be helpful, she is one of the supervisors, I don't have a direct email, but I requested my email to go to her as she had helped me before.

My issue may be slightly different as the 'Invalid ISBN' message came from Waterstones. Both Ingram and Nielson have confirmed my ISBN is valid. Ingram's response is this:

I understand you have been advised that your ISBN is not valid, unfortunately I can not comment on the information you have been provided but I can assure you it is active and is available to the public to purchases.

I will see what Waterstones say and add to the thread if it is of use.

·
Banned
2 Posts
That's not exactly true, at least not in all cases. All of my nearly 30 books were through CreateSpace (which was owned by Amazon) before I then moved the Expanded Distribution to IngramSpark. So those ISBNs were already associated with Amazon (and even with ED) and IngramSpark had no problem taking them. Of course, IngramSpark did the move in the back end themselves. I just had to give them the list of ISBNs and sign a Title Transfer Addendum.

But my point is that just because an ISBN was used on KDP first is really NOT necessarily the reason IngramSpark is currently having an issue with it.

To the OP, I'd keep trying to get someone from IS who knows what they're talking about. Have you tried the online chat support?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Good evening Sarah. I found your reply after which directly corresponds to my challenges with Ingram, I'm hoping you might be kind enough to help me.

Unfortunately, I've yet to resolve extended discussions with them surrounding ISBNs. Canned replies form Ingram usually demonstrate that they did not read the complete email. Initially, they claimed my book was in expanded distribution. It took months to prove to them, with help from Amazon, that it was not in extended distribution.

IS also no longer offers back door support, no option for them to transfer a title. After IS and I came to an understanding that my book really wasn't in expanded distribution, they changed their story to the ISBN was already in use with NOOK digital. I'm in the process of proving to them that the book isn't even registered with Barnes & Noble at all. So, my questions are two: Why would it even matter if the book is available through Nook so long as it's not in expanded distribution? But more importantly, what exactly does it mean to transfer title from KDP to Ingram. I understand that it would be in their catalog of books rather than Amazon's, but are there other difference I should know about? How would that effect me on this end - should I care? Or shouldI just hand over title? It's impossible to find this info online.

If you find this inquiry, I would be so grateful for straight answers.
Jennifer Duke

·
Registered
850 Posts
IS also no longer offers back door support, no option for them to transfer a title.
Yes, they do have a process to transfer the title: Title Transfer.

After IS and I came to an understanding that my book really wasn't in expanded distribution, they changed their story to the ISBN was already in use with NOOK digital. I'm in the process of proving to them that the book isn't even registered with Barnes & Noble at all. So, my questions are two: Why would it even matter if the book is available through Nook so long as it's not in expanded distribution?
Because IS distributes to B&N, so if that ISBN is already in B&N's system, there's a conflict.

But more importantly, what exactly does it mean to transfer title from KDP to Ingram. I understand that it would be in their catalog of books rather than Amazon's, but are there other difference I should know about? How would that effect me on this end - should I care? Or shouldI just hand over title? It's impossible to find this info online.
I haven't used their current title transfer process, but when I did have my titles transferred (when CreateSpace ceased to exist about 3 years ago), all of my titles remained with KDP (with no Expanded Distribution). IngramSpark just copied everything over to their system so that all of my books are on both platforms. As I said, I can't answer to exactly how the current process works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts