Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a quite random email last night from a representative at NURCIHAN  KESIM Literary Agency.

They wanted to know if I held the translation rights to my book, Released.

I have never received an inquiry like this before and am wondering if anyone has had contact with this agency before or if they have even heard of them.  I can't seem to find much on google.

I would think since I am self-published I would have all rights to my book, am I wrong?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The exact same agency contacted me for the same reason. Does anyone know how this works?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Heard of a few of these before, most not even identifying the author by name or gender.  Everything screams scam to me, don't even reply back.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Absolutely the wrong advice.  Why do people insist on giving advice when they don't have a clue what they are talking about?

Nurcihan is a respected literary agency in Turkey.  I've included a list of a handful of their most recent rights sales on behalf of other clients below.  I could easily add more.

How does this work?  Just like any other literary agency. (Not sure of your knowledge level on the topic, so if you want more info than that, I'm happy to answer any questions.  I've been translated into multiple languages and am working on my own deal in Turkey at the moment)

International rights: Children's 
Turkish rights to Jennifer L. Armentrout's HALF-BLOOD and DAIMON, to Gurcan Yesilirmak at Dogan Egmont, in a nice deal, for publication in September 2011, by Filiz Karaman at Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency.
Posted: June 17, 2011 at 4:42 p.m. Eastern

International rights: Fiction 
Turkish rights to Richard B. Wright's MR. SHAKESPEARE'S BASTARD and OCTOBER, to Pegasus Yayinlari, in a nice deal, by Krista Willis at The Cooke Agency International and Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency on behalf of The Cooke Agency.
[email protected].com
Posted: May 25, 2011 at 2:33 p.m. Eastern

Turkish rights to Leigh Michaels's THE MISTRESS' HOUSE, JUST ONE SEASON IN LONDON, and THE WEDDING AFFAIR, to Epsilon, by Filiz Karaman of Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency on behalf of Christine Witthohn at Book Cents Literary Agency.
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 8:25 p.m. Eastern

Turkish rights to Grace Burrowes's THE SOLDIER, to Koridor, by Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency on behalf of Anne Landa.
[email protected]
Posted: April 25, 2011 at 10:06 p.m. Eastern

Turkish rights to Olivia Bennett's THE ALLEGRA BISCOTTI COLLECTION, to O2, by Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency on behalf Anne Landa.
[email protected]
Posted: April 25, 2011 at 9:52 p.m. Eastern

Turkish rights to Isabel Cooper's NO PROPER LADY, to Arti Yayin Dagitim, by Anne Landa in association with Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency.
[email protected]
Posted: March 25, 2011 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern

Turkish rights to Jennifer Fosberry's MY NAME IS NOT ISABELLA and MY NAME IS NOT ALEXANDER, to Artemis Yayinlari, by Anne Landa in association with Nurcihan Kesim Literary Agency.
[email protected]
Posted: March 24, 2011 at 11:58 p.m. Eastern

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't assume it's a scam. Do your research. Google is your friend. If it's a scam, you'll find authors complaining about them online. But my one-second Google search shows they've made some legit deals. I'd definitely email them back and see what's up.

David

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The agency did direct the email to me by name and the subject line was the title of my book.

I know ZERO about literary agents, so I would love any and all knowledge you can give me Jnassise for a first timer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually, I googled this agency and it seems they've done pretty good contracts with big publishing houses here, some around the six figure. So I don't know if it's a scam or not.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unless you have specifically granted rights in writing to another person or agency, you retain those rights and can assign them to whomever you like.

Sounds like you should at least contact an entertainment attorney about doing a deal in Turkey. Could sell some books.

G

·
Congrats!  You know you're doing something right when they come to you. :)

Unless it's a scam, of course, but from what others have posted it doesn't seem to be.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was I correct in assuming I have translation rights? Probably a stupid question, but I just want to be sure before I reply.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Entertainment Attorney...hmm... ok, well I live in Vegas should that shouldn't be hard to find although paying a retainer doesn't sound fun at all

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Megan Duncan said:
Was I correct in assuming I have translation rights? Probably a stupid question, but I just want to be sure before I reply.
As others said, if you have not signed a contract with anyone else specifying foreign language rights, you own 'em and can do whatever you want. Congrats--hope it works out! I just got an inquiry from an Italian publisher for translation rights so in the same "stew" as you. *s*

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I've received an email from them too, but after reading about how an indie author was led to believe she had a deal with a legit U.S. agency who turned out to be someone pulling a prank on her, I am skeptical.

I said I'd be willing to negotiate and they asked me to send them a paperback copy of the book. I don't know how things work, but if they wanted the book, shouldn't they already have a copy in one form or another to be sure it's what they want? Shouldn't we have to agree to a contract before anything is exchanged? I feel hesitant about.

I'm glad someone started this thread, because I have been trying to figure out what to say to them since they asked me to mail a hardcopy. You'd think an e-copy would be easier to work from.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I'm glad people posted with info. Isn't this exactly what propelled Amanda Hocking's career? I seem to remember hearing that it really took off after a Hungarian agent contacted her for foreign rights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting.  I responded with a simple answer; thanking them for their inquiry and stating I did have translation rights to the book in question.  

Does seem odd that they would request you send them a paperback, but I don't suppose it would hurt to send them one, however if they asked me to I can't say that I would.  Knowing me I would probably direct them to Smashwords to purchase a ecopy or have them purchase one from me through paypal. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really? I don't remember reading anything about a Hungarian agent. I thought her career took off after being mentioned on JA Konraths blog?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The same agency contacted me as well. They emailed me directly, mentioned my book by title, and simply asked if I handled the foreign translation rights. Like mentioned above, I googled them for a while and found enough information to lead me to believe that they were legit, finding many US Literary agencies that used them for Foreign Rights. I responded that I did hold all the rights, and they asked for a PDF copy for review and possible submission to "clients." I sent them what they asked for, and now I'm just waiting to see if anything happens. I understand people's fear of scams in this day and age, it was my initial assumption as well. But a little research can go a long way. That's why we have the internet  ;D

Best of luck,

Michael

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's great Michael.  I would love it if you would be willing to keep me updated on any new developments?  I can do the same for you as well.  Don't need any private details, just would like to know how things go ya know.

Also, where did you find information about them?  I can find very little, were you able to find a website?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Megan Duncan said:
That's great Michael. I would love it if you would be willing to keep me updated on any new developments? I can do the same for you as well. Don't need any private details, just would like to know how things go ya know.

Also, where did you find information about them? I can find very little, were you able to find a website?
Sure, I'd be happy to keep you up-to-date with the process if anything should come of it. These emails were about 2 months ago, and I've come to learn that, like the US publishing world, it can take 6 months or a year or longer before any movement is made on a project. So I've basically just forgotten about it. :)

Here's one link I remember finding -- from the Seventh Avenue Literary Agency here in the US. They are definitely legit -- I've queried them in the past and received an official rejection letter. The NURCIHAN KESIM literary agency is listed under their Co-Agents page for foreign rights. http://www.seventhavenuelit.com/coagents.html

Michael

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
As Joe Nassise pointed out, this is a well-respected Turkish agency, that has done legitimate deals.

Definitely do your research, however, and ask questions. And verify that it's actually someone from the agency that is contacting you, and not a scammer (like in that recent example).

But it seems that Turkish publishing houses in particular seem to be interested in acquiring translation rights for indie books. I know of several indie authors who are in the middle of negotiating deals with Turkish houses. (Some were contacted directly by the publishing house, and some were contacted by agents.)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts