Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who already have an Oberon velcro case . . . did you insert Kindle according to instructions or did you pull soft half of velcro from hard loops and then apply soft half to Kindle?  When you then put Kindle into the case, did the velcro halves still line up well enough to hold Kindle in place and secure?  That's what I'm planning to do unless someone here says that is not a good idea for some reason.  I have no regrets getting velcro as opposed to corners.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I took the fuzzy part off, lined it up on my Kindle and trimmed the pieces (so as to not cover the speakers or get on the gray back). Then, when they were the right size, I put them back on the loop, pulled off the plastic and applied my Kindle, per the instructions.

I was a beta tester and for some reason, my cover arrived with only half the velcro (the half sewn into the cover). I bought some more velcro to supply the missing half and added a third piece at the bottom. It is my understanding that the covers they are selling have the third piece added now.

L

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I didn't do as they instructed. I pull of soft half part as you mention and placed it on to the kindle very carefully so it won:t cover the next button or the back cover. I didn't trim the side velcro but I did trim the top one so it won't cover the speaker. Before I stick the velcro on to my kindle, I placed my kindle on the cover to see where I should place the velcro.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I did both. I tried doing it the way they described by putting the kindle down on the velcro but I could not get the piece on the right side to line up. The top was no problem, but the right side piece kept ending up on the gray back cover. So I applied the fuzzy piece to the Kindle first. I also was a Beta tester so dodn't have the bottom piece.

Lynn

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too pulled the soft fuzzy half from the hard loops.  Trimmed the length of the two horizontal pieces a little and trimmed the width of the long vertical piece.  If you didn't place the soft velcro on Kindle separate from hard velcro, it would cover the edge between Kindle and its gray back cover.  Not good.

I found after Sundog was in her case that the Kindle and Whispernet on/off switches are very easy to get to -- because you can bend the leather, but also the thickness of the velcro (both parts) separate Kindle from the leather in back.

Sundog is now dressed and gorgeous in her best.  I love it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Slavish directions follower that I am, i did it the way the instructions said.  Worked OK for me but it ended up placing the right side hook part a little close to the large right hand (next page) switch, which interferes with the switch slightly and makes it a little harder to press.  Maybe not a bad thing.  easy to fix (comparatively) if I want to.  The nice thing with the set up is that you can do it either way with a little care because the hook and loop method allows some leeway in placement.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cush, I was a little afraid of that when I was lining things up.  So I pulled the two halves of the velcro apart and trimmed.

Leslie, no digital camera here!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
cush said:
Slavish directions follower that I am, i did it the way the instructions said. Worked OK for me but it ended up placing the right side hook part a little close to the large right hand (next page) switch, which interferes with the switch slightly and makes it a little harder to press. Maybe not a bad thing. easy to fix (comparatively) if I want to. The nice thing with the set up is that you can do it either way with a little care because the hook and loop method allows some leeway in placement.
LOL...I am the beta that stuck her "next page" button ;-p All I did was pull it back up along the edges and trimmed away. I did add a third piece on the bottom though and had to cut the speaker portion as well. I believe that with the final covers the Velcro by the speaker is the correct length :)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to trim that piece a little too because they give you a longer fuzzy half than hard loop piece which is stitched in.  I think they do that so you can adjust the placement of Kindle in the case.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Well, having less than zero skills at trimming, this discussion has solidified my decision to get the corner version when I decide to go for it.  The river garden picture from another thread is gorgeous. . . .anyone have any idea if they will actually do that one in a Kindle cover?

Ann

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ann, if for other reasons you like the velcro, it really is VERY easy to "fit" Kindle into the case.  I am very happy with it.  I don't like the idea of leather covering any buttons -- especially the ALT and Aa that are used often to put Kindle to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I actually DON'T like the idea of Velcro. . .so the issues in getting it lined up are just more reasons to go for corners.  :)

I don't have an issue with the leather covering the buttons. . . .other posters have indicated, now that they've gotten their cornered covers, that it doesn't cause a problem in putting the Kindle to sleep.  And I know the USB port is blocked, but I never use it since I have strong Whispernet service.  I also don't use the headphone jack, though it looks like that's still fairly accessible.

So, I'm definitely going for corners. . . .when I get the money together and pick a design!

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I also removed the soft half from the loops and placed it on my Kindle separately. I used post-its to keep the velcro lined up in the right position based on the position of the sewn on velcro, and I had to trim the top piece of velcro so it wouldn't come over the speaker.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did it the way they said. But the one side piece covered the battery cover...so I removed it & placed it one better. It came off the Kindle fine & now it is perfect!

B

·
0 Posts
When I got my beta, I did not get the instructions. So, I did peel the pieces apart and put them directly onto to the Kindle. The side piece was really easy to place (did not have to trim it). The top piece I trimmed to avoid the speaker, but I centered it between the top and battery cover. Therefore, when I put it in the cover, it did not match up with the loop part. That is why I suggested to Oberon that they move that piece down a bit (which I think they did).

It was probably just my OCD kicking in. I like to have things "even" as much as possible. I am very "Monkish" or so Jim tells me regularly.

B

·
0 Posts
Soon I will have my Oberon corner cover. Then I will not have to worry about velcro.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was a beta tester who didn't get instructions either.  I placed the Kindle on the Kindle so there would be no "match-up" problems.  I've never had any problem with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just received my cover today. I'd originally ordered one with corners but switched it to velcro. I *LOVE* it! I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly for the top and side pieces of velcro. The bottom piece, however, slightly covered the battery cover. So, I peeled it off, adjusted it and re-attached. The whole process took about 60 seconds.

I've now given my kindle and its cover the vigorous shake test. Not surprisingly, it passed with flying colors. It's beautiful  :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts