Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before that I was considering getting a DX as my main ereader and passing my K1 to my children. I could still use it as a travel ereader while using the DX at home, and I could deregister the K1 so my children wouldn't have access to my library.

After learning more about borrowing ebooks from the library, however, I think that I'm going to go with the Sony 505. It reads different formats than the Kindle, and works very well with OverDrive library ebooks (in PDF and ePub formats).

I'm guessing I'll still prefer the Kindle for ease of purchasing books, downloading samples, and purchasing via the Kindle Store. But having both would expand my horizons format-wise, and would open up library loans for me (many libraries are going to epub format and Kindle won't read those). The 505 is also over $200 cheaper than the DX.

What I don't like about the Sony so far (without even buying one yet), is their store. I have a horrible time connecting. Was only able to connect once to register my account and I haven't be able to access it since then (and before then). So I doubt I'll purchase any ebooks through Sony - mainly just use it as a Library ereader.

Does anyone here own both - a Kindle and a Sony? Are you pleased with the Sony? Do my thoughts about going this route make sense?

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Hmmm. I think I'd recommend going either all-Sony or all-Kindle. One reason being, when you have a book you want to share with your children's reader, you'd have to buy it twice - assuming it's available for both types of readers.

I haven't used a Sony except for a short time at their display booth at CES this past January. I personally think Kindle is where the ebook market is going, but it is *possible* that I'm biased about that. :D

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You know I seriously wanted to DX mainly for the size and the native pdf. But then I got used to reading on my iphone. And it only weighs 4oz compared to over 18 oz of the DX. And I can read native .pdf with various iphone apps or do what I've been doing with my kindle, converting them to .prc files with mobi pocket creator. I can still read them on my kindle and I can read them on my iphone with stanza. Additionally I bought my daughter an ipod touch so she can also read kindle books on it plus all it's other features. At this point I don't even read from my kindle very often and if it dies I still have access to all my e books.

The biggest problem I've noticed with Sony is the books on their e store are mostly full list price.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I get what you mean BookishMom 'cause I was thinking of doing the same thing. My library also does the overdrive thing so I thought of buying a sony just so I can borrow some books that I want to read, but do not want to buy. I'm still thinking about it though... ???

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have both, well, I hardly use the Sony, but I have both.  I like the Sony's design.  It's very comfy to use.  The main drawback is the lack of connectivity, which you don't need to worry about, and the often unwieldly online store.  If you've got a Kindle and use its advantages, and use the Sony for the library uses, that might be fine.  If you're going to be buying books mostly, I'd go with another Kindle. 

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm confused... Aren't there a bunch of ways to convert ePub to Kindle? Why can't you just convert the library books for Kindle?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Another question I'm wondering is how many e books the local library has. I let my card expire but I should go renew it, I might be able to read library books with stanza.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sadly, my local library does not offer e-books....  :-\

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you use the Sony Reader strictly for reading borrowed books from the library (damn, I wish my library had eBooks!), and still use the Kindle for book purchases, I think it could work out to be a really good system for reading what you want. I'm assuming, of course, that there are enough books to borrow to warrant the purchase, and that the epub books contain DRM. I know there are ways to convert non-DRM epub formats to mobi, but I don't see a library offering DRM-free eBooks. ...Right?

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
First, let me say that I know nothing whatsoever about Sony Readers.

But I'm on my second Sony laptop, and also own one of their (now hopelessly outdated) PDA's.  I like their design, and overall I'm happy with their products.  BUT their customer service has repeatedly proven unhelpful, poorly informed about their own products, and sometimes downright clueless. 

I realize this is almost certainly a different department from e-reader customer service, and that the quality of CS may not influence your decision anyway.  But thought I'd share the info just in case...

·
Registered
208 Posts
our library had ebooks available.  They no longer offer the service. I was told the service was expensive and with budget cuts it was between losing ebook availability or a person.  They chose to keep the person.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harvey said:
Hmmm. I think I'd recommend going either all-Sony or all-Kindle. One reason being, when you have a book you want to share with your children's reader, you'd have to buy it twice - assuming it's available for both types of readers.
I wouldn't use the Sony for purchased books - only for library ebooks. If I would purchase a book, it would be for my children, not me, so I wouldn't need two copies. I hope this makes better sense.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rasputina said:
You know I seriously wanted to DX mainly for the size and the native pdf. But then I got used to reading on my iphone. And it only weighs 4oz compared to over 18 oz of the DX. And I can read native .pdf with various iphone apps or do what I've been doing with my kindle, converting them to .prc files with mobi pocket creator. I can still read them on my kindle and I can read them on my iphone with stanza. Additionally I bought my daughter an ipod touch so she can also read kindle books on it plus all it's other features. At this point I don't even read from my kindle very often and if it dies I still have access to all my e books.

The biggest problem I've noticed with Sony is the books on their e store are mostly full list price.
Yes, I've heard that their books are more expensive than Amazon's. I wasn't planning to purchase books for the Sony, just use the library, but if I did, it would be from other providers. Not Sony. (I have problems connecting, so I probably couldn't even if I wanted to.)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
libros_lego said:
I get what you mean BookishMom 'cause I was thinking of doing the same thing. My library also does the overdrive thing so I thought of buying a sony just so I can borrow some books that I want to read, but do not want to buy. I'm still thinking about it though... ???
What are your pros and cons? I'm still sorting through mine, too! ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
akjak said:
I'm confused... Aren't there a bunch of ways to convert ePub to Kindle? Why can't you just convert the library books for Kindle?
It's the DRM that gets in the way. I can strip the DRM, but it's illegal and I'd rather either get books via loan or purchase, not stealing. I have converted DRM'd MobiPocket files to work on my Kindle, but the scripts don't strip the DRM - it's still there. And if I'm going to get another ereader anyway for my children, then why not get one that reads other DRMd formats legally? That's my thinking so far, at least. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rasputina said:
Another question I'm wondering is how many e books the local library has. I let my card expire but I should go renew it, I might be able to read library books with stanza.
Sadly, my local library does not offer e-books....
(damn, I wish my library had eBooks!)
This is the beauty of the whole thing... you don't have to get them from a local library. If your library doesn't have subscriptions to OverDrive (the best) and/or NetLibrary (older books, smaller selection), then you can get a non-resident card (for a relatively small fee) from another bigger, better-equipped library. Since it's all done via the internet, you don't ever have to go to the library at all. It's a wonderful thing! I download both audiobooks and ebooks this way.

My local library doesn't provide this service (too poorly funded), so I'm a patron of the New York Public Library (can mail in application and non-resident fee), and I'm going to get a non-resident card from DC's library whenever I'm there next (have to apply in person, but very low fee). Between the two, I (and my children) will be in ebook and audiobook heaven!

I prefer ebooks, my children tend toward audiobooks, but like both, so we're all happy. The libraries seem to have many more books in Adobe Digital Edition DRMd PDF and ePub formats, so that's why I started considering the Sony. They do have a lot of MobiPocket ebooks, but it seems to be that many more newer releases are ADE formats only.

Am I getting too rambling with this? If anyone has any questions about this, let me know.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
reemixx said:
If you use the Sony Reader strictly for reading borrowed books from the library (damn, I wish my library had eBooks!), and still use the Kindle for book purchases, I think it could work out to be a really good system for reading what you want. I'm assuming, of course, that there are enough books to borrow to warrant the purchase, and that the epub books contain DRM. I know there are ways to convert non-DRM epub formats to mobi, but I don't see a library offering DRM-free eBooks. ...Right?
Yes, there are enough books that it will pay for itself quickly (we're all heavy readers), and all the OverDrive books are DRMd, I think. And so are the NetLibrary books.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
BookishMom said:
My local library doesn't provide this service (too poorly funded), so I'm a patron of the New York Public Library (can mail in application and non-resident fee), and I'm going to get a non-resident card from DC's library whenever I'm there next (have to apply in person, but very low fee). Between the two, I (and my children) will be in ebook and audiobook heaven!
Fairfax County (in Northern Virginia) uses OverDrive, and has an excellent library system.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/dbsRemote/resource/audiobooks.htm

$ 27 for non-residents, and you can get the form online and mail it in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Susan in VA said:
First, let me say that I know nothing whatsoever about Sony Readers.

But I'm on my second Sony laptop, and also own one of their (now hopelessly outdated) PDA's. I like their design, and overall I'm happy with their products. BUT their customer service has repeatedly proven unhelpful, poorly informed about their own products, and sometimes downright clueless.

I realize this is almost certainly a different department from e-reader customer service, and that the quality of CS may not influence your decision anyway. But thought I'd share the info just in case...
I think even longtime Sony eReader fans will agree with you that Sony's CS is lacking with their ereaders, too. That's one of my "cons".

1 - 20 of 39 Posts