Mobi2Mobi doesn't run on our computers.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
cush said:
Macintosh users
Mobi2Mobi doesn't run on our computers.
Which means it must be a substandard application. ;D

Somebody will come up with a Mac solution sooner than later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Which means it must be a substandard application. ;D

Somebody will come up with a Mac solution sooner than later.
I believe that it will run under Parallels but of course that means loading Windows on my Mac. I'm just reluctant to do that, not for political or anti Microsoft reasons but because I'm not certain how open to Internet malware that leaves the Mac.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
cush said:
I believe that it will run under Parallels but of course that means loading Windows on my Mac. I'm just reluctant to do that, not for political or anti Microsoft reasons but because I'm not certain how open to Internet malware that leaves the Mac.
I have heard it runs fine under Parallels. It just seems like too much work to modify some metadata. If I really cared, I'd install it on my PC. I don't keep books on my Kindle once I have read them, so I won't bother worrying about if they sort properly.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have changed the title of a book on my home page by connecting the Kindle to my computer (USB) and simply renaming the book title. Seems to work fine. I don't know how to change the author.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stevene9 said:
I have changed the title of a book on my home page by connecting the Kindle to my computer (USB) and simply renaming the book title. Seems to work fine. I don't know how to change the author.

Steve
I just tried it and it didn't work for me. Hmmm....

L

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Let me give more detail. I downloaded a non Amazon book that had a screwed up title. I loaded it onto my SD card and renamed it. Moved it to my Kindle and the title was fine. If it doesn't work for you I wonder if it is because your's was downloaded from Amazon and it keeps track of such things. For the book I downloaded from Baen, renaming it worked perfectly.

Steve

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
OK, now I am really confused. As I said I had changed the name of a non Amazon book and it worked. So I decided to experiment. I went in and changed the name of my Address Book, which is a text file, and it didn't take. However I wanted My Clippings to show up on page 2, so I renamed it "ZZ- My Clippings", and it worked, it changed it on the Home page and realphabetized it. So now I don't know why some work and some don't.

Steve

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I was able to open the renamed My Clippings once, after that it shows an error. The bottom line seems to be that anything that goes through Amazon can't be changed in this fashion.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thank you much Hazeldazel...this will come in handy. learning so much here!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You can manipulate metadata of .azw files using updated Mobi2Mobi now. This would be useful if the books is in the series and you want to have number in the title. I read some web stories which is already in .mobi format but sometime there's no author name. So I use this to manipulate the metadata of the stories. Here is the thread from Amazon Discussion.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobi2Mobi-GUI-updated-016/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/Tx3PSVDF9134HIO/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000FI73MA

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I have heard it runs fine under Parallels. It just seems like too much work to modify some metadata. If I really cared, I'd install it on my PC. I don't keep books on my Kindle once I have read them, so I won't bother worrying about if they sort properly.
Mobi2mobi runs fine under Parallels. I use it with Windows 2000 on my MacBook.

Note that there is nothing to prevent you from installing the Perl libraries on your Mac and running the Perl scripts directly on your Mac, no need to mess with Parallels or any other virtual machine. You just have to figure out how to do that (which I haven't).

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
jmiked said:
Note that there is nothing to prevent you from installing the Perl libraries on your Mac and running the Perl scripts directly on your Mac, no need to mess with Parallels or any other virtual machine. You just have to figure out how to do that (which I haven't).
Update: I have installed the libraries and such on my MacBook and can report that the mobi2mobi scripts run just fine on the several tests I have done. I'm not talking about the mobi2mobi.exe that runs only on Windows, but the native Perl scripts. The instructions are at:

Perl Installation Instructions

but they aren't for the faint of heart. I'm currently trying to find out if the scripts can be compiled into a stand-alone executable so they can be run without going through the hassle.

Mike

·
Registered
869 Posts
jmiked said:
Update: I have installed the libraries and such on my MacBook and can report that the mobi2mobi scripts run just fine on the several tests I have done. I'm not talking about the mobi2mobi.exe that runs only on Windows, but the native Perl scripts. The instructions are at:

Perl Installation Instructions

but they aren't for the faint of heart. I'm currently trying to find out if the scripts can be compiled into a stand-alone executable so they can be run without going through the hassle.

Mike
I second Potatowire! Greatly appreciate the work you put into this & do let us know what you find out about a stand-alone app.

And Welcome, Potatowire! Great to have you here :) How long have you had a Kindle? Be sure to check out the other subjects on KB as there's something for everyone!

Marci

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Marci said:
I second Potatowire! Greatly appreciate the work you put into this & do let us know what you find out about a stand-alone app.
Bear in mind that Macs with OS X have Perl already installed, so you don't have to go to the bother of that part of the instructions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hazeldazel said:
I found a cool link with step-by-step instructions on how to change the title or author listings on the Home page - for books you've gotten from Amazon or elsewhere on the interweb:

http://www.decodingthekindle.com/how-to-change-book-info/
Hi all - my first post to this recently-discovered forum. Unfortunately the link referenced above is dead. Has anyone come up with a semi-automated way of changing title and author data that doesn't involve the Perl programming complexities? My dad has written a book that I uploaded to my Kindle as a pdf file, but the title is in hieroglyphics on the home page for some reason and the author's name doesn't appear at all.

Thanks. Great forum - considering how much I love my Kindle I'm really glad I found it.

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
If you convert the PDF yourself using mobi creator: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadSoft/ProductDetailsCreator.asp you can edit the Metadata yourself and put the correct title and author on it. Be sure to get the professional version.

Don't know of anyway to edit such data on books already converted. . .someone else 'round here may.

Ann

1 - 20 of 35 Posts