Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall who posted on Amazon about SquareTrade, perhaps SJC? I got my coverage today, 3 years for $49.99 for hardware and electrical. For all of you new Kindle owners I made a big mistake, I was more interested in accidental coverage (dropping, grandkids getting it and breaking it, etc.) In order to get the accidental you MUST get coverage within 30 days of purchase date.(I was told that on Amazon but forgot) I purchased my Kindle on 09/21/08 so I was ten days too late. Just a heads up for anyone interested.

Linda

·
Registered
195 Posts
I really would have liked to have gotten the accidental damage coverage, but I missed the 30-day window.  :'(

I am very very very very careful with my Kindle, but you know . . . accidents do happen. And since my Kindle goes just about everywhere with me, anything can happen!

Does the coverage you got cover loss? Or just failure?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes, it is SJC. She has it on a bunch of items and has had cellphones replaced, no questions asked. She is very happy with Square Trade. I'm sure she'll post here when she sees this thread.

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Khabita, it doesn't cover loss either. I was disappointed I missed the accidental  :mad:, like you said anything can happen. I am very careful also but just like you everywhere I go Ruby goes. Not a bad price for 3 years coverge!

Linda

·
Registered
14 Posts
From http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/learn-more-warranty-buyer

WHAT IS COVERED:

Mechanical and electrical failures that occur during normal use of your item. Your item is covered for up to the full purchase price of your item (tax and shipping are excluded).

Some examples of covered issues include computer hard drive failures, iPod batteries that stop charging, cell phone keypads that get stuck, and digital camera sensor failures.

If Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) Protection was purchased, the Service Agreement expands to include damage from liquid spills, item drops, or any other accidental damage. ADH coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims. ADH is not offered on all items.

ADH coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims. ADH is not offered on all items

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: Refer to the details of the contract for the full list, but there are 5 notable exclusions to your coverage.

Product failures within the first 60 days: We don't cover items that are dead on arrival or that fail within the first 60 days.

Accidental damage: Unless Accidental Damage from Handling Protection is purchased, we don't cover items that are accidentally damaged - such as water damage, dropped iPods, and cracked laptop screens.

Accessories and Consumer replaceable parts: We don't cover accessories and parts that are meant to be replaced by the consumer, such as batteries and ink cartridges.

Software: We don't cover software issues, including software for computers, cell phones and PDAs.

Certain Types of Items. Items used in a commercial setting (e.g., an office printer) or fraudulently misrepresented are not covered.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I don't recall who posted on Amazon about SquareTrade, perhaps SJC? I got my coverage today, 3 years for $49.99 for hardware and electrical. For all of you new Kindle owners I made a big mistake, I was more interested in accidental coverage (dropping, grandkids getting it and breaking it, etc.) In order to get the accidental you MUST get coverage within 30 days of purchase date.(I was told that on Amazon but forgot) I purchased my Kindle on 09/21/08 so I was ten days too late. Just a heads up for anyone interested.

Linda
Linda--

did you call them to get your coverage? I tried to request a quote online but couldn't put Kindle in the quote criteria.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Yes, I have several warranties with Square Trade.  They did send me a check for one printer dock and 2 cell phones...no questions asked.  The cell phones were my kids.  The printer dock was a mechanical issue; they tried to repair, couldn't, sent me a check. 

ADH is extra and must be done within 30 days.  If filing an ADH claim $50.00 upon filing.  If filing under "normal" circumstances, no additional fee.  ADH will cover accidents but not blatant ones...like taking in the pool and dropping it. 

My experience with them has been very good.  The ADH does give me peace of mind; though I am extremely careful with my Kindle.
Funny, they just emailed me this morning:  Here is  20 % discount code for purchased made in October.

EXTRA 20% OFF your next warranty

Promo code: TWTYOFF
(Not applicable for eBay purchases)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Hi Bets,
Yes I did call them, got the number from their web site and talked with a very helpful customer rep.

Linda
Thanks, I've talked with them too, they're very helpful and prompt (so far). SJC has good things to say about her experiences. I'm hoping I'll never need them, but I feel a bit better knowing I have it.

Betsy

·
Registered
780 Posts
SJC- thanks for posting the discount code. I was planning on calling tomorrow to get insurance, my 30 days is up the 16th. I don't usually get extended warrantys but I take Scotty everywhere and am afraid of dropping him or something being spilled on him.

Lynn

·
Registered
26 Posts
So you have to call them to set it up?  I didn't see an option to buy this online. 

To bad I didn't know about this when I bought my Iphone :( 

Thanks for the code!!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I think you can do it online if you select an MP3 as the device and then put in the amount you paid; that's what the rep did when I called.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Glad you all are on board.  You are welcome for the code; each time they (SquareTrade) email me with a new code, I will post it.  I too, am extremely careful with my Kindle and highly doubt that I will need to use the plan; however, with that said, I do have peace of mind. 

Square Trade doesn't have a category for Kindle; mine went under PDA; but the rep assured me that SquareTrade knows that it is for the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
are we supposed to click the pda or do we call up and talk to someone about the coverage?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sailor:  I always use the telephone and let the rep do it; this way they get the blame for any screwups.  Also, this way I can get any questions I have answered at the same time.  SquareTrade Questions? Call us at 1.877.WARRANTY (M-F 6am-5pm PST)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just called, too, and she was very pleasant. I didn't purchase the coverage since I still want to think about it. She, however, had me list it as a computer hard drive/storage.
She said that since I was within 30 days of originally purchasing it I was able to take advantage of the accidental coverage for an extra $25.00 if I wanted to. Now I'm up to $75 for 3 yrs.
I mentioned I had a code, and told her the TWTY... on the previous page of this thread. She said, "Oh, you already have something covered with us?" *gulp* No, I said, it was in a friends email. "Oh, she gave it to you?" *gulp!* Yup, says I. Can I use it? Well, she says, "those codes are sent out to current customers, but if you buy a plan with me now I'll give you $20% off anyway." Erk and whew.

We talked a bit cuz even @ 20% off it's $20. per year. Not bad, but I wanted to think about it. I asked her if I dropped it in the airport, or on the road, would it be covered? "Yes." I asked if I was drinking at a cafe and spilled my coke on it, would it be covered? "Yes." I asked her if one of my cats peed on it, would it be covered? "Well, that's tricky because that's a third party accident, so probably not." (FYI I have an old cat that sometimes can't hold it...) Also, she was very forthcoming in telling me that there's a $50. deductable for accidental damage. That brings an "event" up to $110. (the 60 for 3 yrs, and the 50 deductable amt. assuming it'll only happen once.)

They try to repair, but they don't replace (with new or refurb). If they can't repair, they send the initial purchase amount, and she said there's no depreciation, they send the original purchase price in full.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to get it, but if y'all do, be aware that if someone else accidentally damages, i.e. spills their coke, or drops it while holding it for you while you're busy showing it off :D, then it's not covered. So, always make sure the accident is YOUR fault. 

Before I post, three more questions come to mind. I'll check the site, but perhaps someone already knows...
1-what if it's stolen?
2-what if damage (accidental, hardware, stolen, etc) occurs outside the USA?
3-what if I'm in Europe and stupidly short it out. Is my accidental stupidity covered? ;)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
KindleCat said:
I just called, too, and she was very pleasant. I didn't purchase the coverage since I still want to think about it. She, however, had me list it as a computer hard drive/storage.
She said that since I was within 30 days of originally purchasing it I was able to take advantage of the accidental coverage for an extra $25.00 if I wanted to. Now I'm up to $75 for 3 yrs.
Before I post, three more questions come to mind. I'll check the site, but perhaps someone already knows...
1-what if it's stolen?
2-what if damage (accidental, hardware, stolen, etc) occurs outside the USA?
3-what if I'm in Europe and stupidly short it out. Is my accidental stupidity covered? ;)
I just doublechecked, and mine was $49.95 for 3 years with accidental damage, including $15 for the ADH. I believe that she is putting yours in the wrong category; a hard drive has moving parts, the Kindle has no hard drive. PDA as someone else had or MP3, as I was told are the correct categories, or should be. I would call back and talk to someone else.

Thanks for the additional information on questions I hadn't thought to answer. Good info. Still cheaper for me than the $180 replacement that Amazon has.

Betsy

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question, but when you say including $15, do you mean 50. total for insurance and accidental coverage, or 50. plus an additional 15. for accidental?

She told me it was 50. plus 25. for accidental.

When/if I call back I'm gonna make sure the category is done differently, but I'd like to know if I can make sure the 15. is included, or if it's actually additional.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
It was $50 INCLUDING the $15.  $49.95 total to be exact.  If you PM me your email address, I will forward you the acknowledgement I got from Square Trade if you want.  The desktop computer I use for email is off now but I went and doublechecked it yesterday before I posted.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 46 Posts