Kindle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just ordered my extended warranty from square trade... sales guy put it under cell phones/pdas.  Cost me $74 for both regular coverage and ADH. While SJC's twnyoff didn't work because its for existing account holders, her prethank25 did  :).  So thats the one I used.

Rla1996

·
Registered
378 Posts
Prob. price you paid for Kindle.  I paid the full 359 for mine, so if you got yours with the Oprah discount that may be the difference.

Rla1996

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, it's the different price ...I tested it.

May I suggest that if you call, ask for Bea. She was fantastic. It was a whole to-doo getting me signed up, and she was patient and had a sense of humor throughout. Since they don't take Discover (my card of choice), I had to use a card I share w/my parents only I didn't have a card or the number handy. She waited, and joked while I called my mother on my cell and asked her to find the info. You can't ask for much more in a CSR, I  mean to have that much patience, and to laugh with me at the odd way we were having to go about it... well, that's the jist of it, there were a few other quirky things, but too many details would just be boring, imho.

And thanks to Betsy for the help/info.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
***IMPORTANT NOTE:

When calling SquareTrade...say "I'm interested in purchasing a warranty, however, I was wondering if you are currently offering any promotional discounts?"

really not supposed to give the codes out.

OR

Play dumb and say gee, it's a little more than I wanted to spend; would you happen to be offering any discounts at this time? Be sure to bat your eyelashes and sound all Marilyn Monroe-ish or George Clooney-ish; they may have one of those phones that shows your face on their screen...lol. Wink

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got off the phone and the guy I spoke to asked if I paid $359 for my Kindle. I told him I had paid $309 and he said, "Well, we're just going to put it in at $359 because that's what it would cost to replace it."

He said coverage for 3 years with ADH would be $75. No codes, no special offers accepted for new purchasers. I said I knew of people who had gotten a better price and he simply said their prices have gone up.

I didn't purchase.  :mad:

Kat

·
Registered
509 Posts
"They try to repair, but they don't replace (with new or refurb). If they can't repair, they send the initial purchase amount, and she said there's no depreciation, they send the original purchase price in full."

How would this company even attempt to repair any of the covered devices? That would require shipping the damaged device to thier repair center and waiting for an assesment. Since there's no repair service from Amazon for the Kindle, it's not likely that Square Trade will be able to fix one that's broken.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I waited a bit and called back to Square Trade in hopes of getting a different CS rep. This time I was told 3 years of coverage on a PDA, with the ADH would be $96!!!!

I got a little snippy then and told him I had phoned for information earlier today and the price quote was $75.
He said, "Okay, there may have been a change in policy that I'm not aware of. Let me go check."

I was on hold for several minutes and when he returned he said, "Because of the discrepancy in quotes, we're going to go realllly low on this. It would be $64." (And some cents. I don't recall the exact figure.)

Rather curtly, and with what I hoped sounded like great authority, I said, " I have a code...prethank25."

He tapped the ol' keyboard and said, "Okay, that brings it to $48.74."

Perfect!

I'm supposed to get the terms and contract emailed to me in the next few minutes. I'm hoping everything is set up correctly.

I'd like to hear everyone else's experience.

Kat

·
Registered
426 Posts
sjc said:
Play dumb and say gee, it's a little more than I wanted to spend; would you happen to be offering any discounts at this time? Be sure to bat your eyelashes and sound all Marilyn Monroe-ish or George Clooney-ish; they may have one of those phones that shows your face on their screen...lol. Wink
I just got off the phone with them, and I used my best 'oooh I like discounts' voice. He was really helpful and said I couldn't use my friends discount, but he would just give me 20% off for giving them a try (after I explained that I have a LOT of techy goodness in my house and like to replace it occasionally :) )

My total cost was $51.99 for 3 years. ($44.99 for original coverage + $20 for ADH = $64.99 - 20% = 51.99).

My comfirmation email has it listed under Hard Drives - Other. I find it interesting that they're classifying these several different ways. He did mention that they're going to be having an upcoming promotion for Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) where they'll be offering 35% off. But I don't think that will cover first time buyers. But maybe if you used your best 'I love discounts' voice they'll extend something to you.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Wow...you all got lucky... $98 for me and that was supposedly with 20% off!!!  But I did it months ago when they weren't even sure they were going to allow Kindle warranty plans.  In fact when I first contacted them they sent me a very emphatic NO.  Then I called back a couple weeks later and argued that the email they sent me did not list any exclusions; with that they honored the request.  I was probably their first Kindle warranty customer; as they had no idea at first as to what the Kindle even was.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Thanks to SJC for giving us the original information about Square Trade.  I feel better knowing that I have some coverage.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
You are entirely welcome; glad to have helped.  Guess they must have dropped their prices DawnOfChaos' price was basically half of what I paid. 

Does give one peace of mind though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just hung up with Square Trade.  I questioned the variation on price determined by whether they input it as pda/mp3/or computer drive/storage.  I was told by Bea (customer service there) that the company has gone around and around trying to determine what to put the Kindle under, and the decision was made this weekend to list it as computer/drive/storage.  All cust. service reps have now been instructed to follow these instructions (so my kind words wouldn't work to get it put under the cheaper code)
The price for this is $74.99 INCLUDING the accidental coverage.  I had a discount code PRETHANK25 (which is for prior customers) which lowered it 25% bringing the total to $56.25.  I have 3 kindle's and the code worked for all three warranties.
Hope this helps..

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
RB said:
Just hung up with Square Trade. I questioned the variation on price determined by whether they input it as pda/mp3/or computer drive/storage. I was told by Bea (customer service there) that the company has gone around and around trying to determine what to put the Kindle under, and the decision was made this weekend to list it as computer/drive/storage. All cust. service reps have now been instructed to follow these instructions (so my kind words wouldn't work to get it put under the cheaper code)
The price for this is $74.99 INCLUDING the accidental coverage. I had a discount code PRETHANK25 (which is for prior customers) which lowered it 25% bringing the total to $56.25. I have 3 kindle's and the code worked for all three warranties.
Hope this helps..
This just doesn't make any sense. A hard drive is a totally different beast, much more susceptible to damage than the the Kindle's internal storage. Anecdotal tales here on the KBoards http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,396.msg4959.html#msg4959 and Amazon's own ad show that accidents, such as dropping, that would totally ruin a hard drive don't harm the Kindle (not that we're recommending tests).

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
RB said:
Just hung up with Square Trade. I questioned the variation on price determined by whether they input it as pda/mp3/or computer drive/storage. I was told by Bea (customer service there) that the company has gone around and around trying to determine what to put the Kindle under, and the decision was made this weekend to list it as computer/drive/storage. All cust. service reps have now been instructed to follow these instructions (so my kind words wouldn't work to get it put under the cheaper code)
The price for this is $74.99 INCLUDING the accidental coverage. I had a discount code PRETHANK25 (which is for prior customers) which lowered it 25% bringing the total to $56.25. I have 3 kindle's and the code worked for all three warranties.
Hope this helps..
Thanks for the update RB and welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Boy Square Trade owes me big time. What gives? $98.00. Still glad I got the coverage though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
sjc said:
Boy Square Trade owes me big time. What gives? $98.00. Still glad I got the coverage though.
Maybe you can call them and they'll give you an adjustment. The worst they can say is no.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts