1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
I get most of my reading nowadays from the library or via KU. Occasionally the library only has the book in ePub format -- but it's usually protected. You can download it to your computer -- but the file format is .acsm: Adobe Digital Editions. I doubt it'll be convertible with Send to Kindle.

But I do have a Kobo that I can download to directly for books that only come as ePub from the library. It's a bit of a project sometimes as there are 4 libraries I borrow from but you can only have one at a time on the Kobo. So I sometimes have to sign out of the current one and then sign in to the one that has the book I want to read. Which means I have to keep my library card #'s handy. :)

O'course, I can also borrow/read them via Libby on my tablet.

I don't actually buy a lot of books and the ones I do I usually get from Amazon.

·
6,105 Posts
The books I buy I usually get from Amazon. The only e-pub books I read are the ones I get from the library (they don't come any other way in the UK) but I have a Kobo for those. It's not a new model but it does have the larger screen like the new PW and is perfectly OK.

As Ann says, library books are normally protected files so if for some reason I couldn't use the Kobo and wanted to read them on my Kindle instead I'd have to use Calibre.

I don't think 'Send To Kindle', as it is now, works with files that have DRM. Would Amazon have to change that if they update it to include epub files? Surely most purchased and library epubs would also be DRM protected? If they included only unprotected epubs it wouldn't that useful an update to most people.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Linda, I'm sure you're right that it won't work if the file -- of whatever original format -- is copy protected.

Anyway, I had a look: the current version of Send to Kindle does NOT appear to work with ePubs ... even though the write up at the download page indicates that it ought to. At least: it didn't with any of the handful I have on my computer. Which I think are not copy protected, but I could be wrong about that.

Conclusion: it's not a thing I'm going to worry much about one way or the other.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Well, there's definitely something going on with Send to Kindle. I got the below email from Amazon this morning. Odd that you will no longer be able to send/convert file that start in .mobi format -- though, when I use it, it's usually a .doc file.

I'm also intrigued by the last paragraph which seems to indicate the kindle apps for android, iOS, and PC or Mac will soon support ePub directly. Makes me wonder if a new kindle device -- which has been rumored -- might have native ePub support.

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your library. Any MOBI files already in your Kindle library will not be affected by this change.

MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible file format.

Also, compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team.

Regards,
The Kindle Team​

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I also got that email. Curious to see how things play out. Although I doubt I can take advantage of it since I have put up my newer Kindles and gone back to the older ones where I can actually see 7 items in my list view with no thumbnails and no stupid, crowded, "Amazon-trying-to-sell-me-books-even-though-I-bought-out-of-special-offers" Home screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, there's definitely something going on with Send to Kindle. I got the below email from Amazon this morning. Odd that you will no longer be able to send/convert file that start in .mobi format -- though, when I use it, it's usually a .doc file.

I'm also intrigued by the last paragraph which seems to indicate the kindle apps for android, iOS, and PC or Mac will soon support ePub directly. Makes me wonder if a new kindle device -- which has been rumored -- might have native ePub support.

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your library. Any MOBI files already in your Kindle library will not be affected by this change.

MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible file format.

Also, compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team.

Regards,
The Kindle Team​

Over the last 5 years, I've often borrowed from the library in .epubs format, then had epic fails using Calibre or Amazon Libby to try to convert get them in to an Amazon Kindle to use the ACCESSIBILTY feature converting text to speech. (I'M A LOW VISION KINDLE USER.) I have found I can change epub into a .mobi format and Send to Kindle by emailing the book file.mobi into my Kindle Paperwhite. By August 2022, Amazon will add epubs to Send to Kindle (good idea)---but DELETE MOBI books (bad idea). It wouln't hurt a thing for Amazon to Send to Kindle continue to accept mobi files! I have many library books in mobi on my computer. Since I can only email one book at a time, after Aug. 1, 2022 I'll have to get the same book in epub on reserve. Wait to download it then follow the new procedure.
AMAZON FEEDBACK message to Send to Kindle team&nbsp : Add .epub but don't kill off mobi format books.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Does this mean I won’t be able to send books from Overdrive and Libby to my kindle?

I suspect library books that are available for kindle will still be available the way they are now: borrow from the library, get redirected to Amazon, and deliver to your device.

If you do it some other way, it's hard to say, but as Linda and Andra have noted, DRM is still going to be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Over the last 5 years, I've often borrowed from the library in .epubs format, then had epic fails using Calibre or Amazon Libby to try to convert get them in to an Amazon Kindle to use the ACCESSIBILTY feature converting text to speech. (I'M A LOW VISION KINDLE USER.) I have found I can change epub into a .mobi format and Send to Kindle by emailing the book file.mobi into my Kindle Paperwhite. By August 2022, Amazon will add epubs to Send to Kindle (good idea)---but DELETE MOBI books (bad idea). It wouln't hurt a thing for Amazon to Send to Kindle continue to accept mobi files! I have many library books in mobi on my computer. Since I can only email one book at a time, after Aug. 1, 2022 I'll have to get the same book in epub on reserve. Wait to download it then follow the new procedure.
AMAZON FEEDBACK message to Send to Kindle team&nbsp : Add .epub but don't kill off mobi format books.
That's because of DRM. But if the books are available in Kindle format, they're still pretty easy to borrow from the library -- see my immediately previous post. And I have personally found that most books ARE available in Kindle format ... in the US at least. However I have a Kobo for those that are not. I have no idea what sort of accessibility features Kobo has, however, as I've not needed them.

Whether or not ePUB library books will now be accessible on a kindle as a whole 'nother questions. I suspect not. Though .... as noted in an earlier post .... it looks like they're adding ePUB support on apps for android and iOS. So, who knows?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
This was kind of always around in a way.

Fun fact: In the past, you could change the extension of .epub files to .png (yes, the picture format - no, don't ask me how/why that worked, but it did) and it would convert via e-mail.

Now Amazon is just making it more straightforward and official by allowing .epub files without any workarounds to be sent.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I received the e-mail from Amazon the other day too. I don't know why mobi files will not go with send to kindle. Are they planning to change their kindle book format? Mobi is the format they have been using since the first Kindles.

I used to easily find kindle books to borrow from my library in New York, but (after not borrowing for at least a year) recently I put on hold an "e-book" that turned out to be e-pub, so I cancelled it. I suppose that I could have sent it to my kindle fire? They should label the format before I put it on hold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are a lucky lot being able to get books from your local libraries! Here in the Philippines my nearest city libary is still using cards and stamping books! Except maybe for the national library in Manila I'm not aware of any library - and there are not many of these anyway - being that up to date. Yes, some have their catalogs digitised and even have public internet access but that's the limit of technology currently! I'll have to stick to getting my books "by various means" as it works fine and calibre converts epub to MOBI or AZW for me. Now I have my Kobo Libra 2 I do not even have to convert them! Had it 4 days now and loving it!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I received the e-mail from Amazon the other day too. I don't know why mobi files will not go with send to kindle. Are they planning to change their kindle book format? Mobi is the format they have been using since the first Kindles.
Amazon has been supporting MOBI, but mostly using their own flavor of it as an AZW for the earliest Kindles. They have continued to evolve the format and have gotten increasingly more complex.
From wikipedia:
Kindle devices and apps are designed to use Amazon's e-book formats: AZW that is based on Mobipocket; in fourth generation and later Kindles, AZW3, also called KF8; and in seventh generation and later Kindles, KFX

·
Registered
553 Posts
Can I download calbri on my iPad? Will I be able to convert books to my kindle like that.? I have no idea how to do this and it is upsetting. I don’t want to read on my iPad .
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts