Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at least it's interesting if you're a geek like me! It talks about the technology that allows them to create a flexible, durable screen:

Unlike other E Ink document readers, such as the Amazon Kindle, however, the transistors on the electronic backplane that switches each of the Plastic Logic Reader's millions of pixels on and off is a pliable organic polymer, not brittle silicon.

Earlier this month, Plastic Logic opened its $100 million, 4000-square-meter automated-manufacturing clean room to IEEE Spectrum for a peek into the future of flexible electronics. In his corner office at the Dresden facility, Konrad Herre, Plastic Logic's vice president of manufacturing, gave a simple demonstration highlighting one benefit of plastic electronics.

"You easily can do this," he says as he smashes his fist onto the Reader's 22-by-28-centimeter flexible screen and backplane, bashing it with a force that would shatter any liquid-crystal display or slice of silicon. "It doesn't break, although it's a big display."
Link to article

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would be great for reading magazines, newspapers and full page documents but I think it's too big for just reading a book.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll probably get one if the early reviews are promising.  The Kindle screen is just too small for things like fashion magazines, etc., and I've never been able to surf the internet on my Kindles - my device almost always freezes :(

But for books?  I'm a Kindler, through and through, and I can't imagine ever being without one!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Maybe the Kindle will start using the stronger screen.  I don't think people would be as worried about breaking it then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hardier screens are a must especially for use beyond us book geeks who probably tend to take better care of our book releated items than say your typical 10 year old school kid ;-)  The price (for these large screen readers) will probably still be prohibitive for most though.  Does anyone know if PL plans to sell screens to other companies or will they only use them in their own brand of readers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts