Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I thought it was very interesting, but some of the stuff he's talking about I don't think we will see for 5-10 years.  Publishing houses are glacially releasing books in Kindle format.  It will be a long time before they start tagging books for searches or figuring out the myriad of other ways the "new" technology can sell their books.

It may all speed up if Kindles really take off.  I've yet to see one in the wild, so while Amazon may be beating their projected sale numbers (and I don't know, since they haven't said anything) it's not a mainstream device by any stretch of the imagination yet.  (Mobilize forces people!  We need a Kindle in every pot, I mean purse!)  Most people who've seen a demonstration have thought it was cool, but I haven't actually had anyone follow up with a purchase yet (though some people were complete strangers, so who knows).  I'm hoping to have my first real sale next month with my coworker's birthday.  There was an article in 2008 about projected sales of Kindles expected to reach $750 million by 2010.  Using current pricing that's 2,089,136 Kindles.  Estimates are there are 306,268,000 people in the United States, which would be 0.68% penetration.  Yep, not even 1% of the US population would be wandering around with a Kindle.  They would need to double their estimated sales to break 1%.  Now maybe they were estimating really low and with the K2, the numbers will take off and double and triple and look 2% of the US population.  Getting a Kindle into the hands of 5% of the US population would blow all their projections out of the water.  Maybe it will happen if they don't have another long delay of backorders suppressing sales and keep getting positive press.

Amazon really needs to get Kindle into the academic setting.  Students using Kindles in college will not only explode the sales all by itself, but they would be hooked for post graduate life, sell the parents and siblings on the tech, etc.  The titles available would take off, and Amazon could make real money off of a secondary service of university printing/formatting (lecture notes, article copies, lab directions) reducing the paper expenses for schools.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sorry, I lost interest halfway through his article and wanted to read a novel...so I downloaded one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts