Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These help with a lot of questions we have asked a lot. The answers have been varied, but here's something fairly official and I'm moving it from the bottom of another post where it would be read with glazed eyes from what came before it. Bolding is mine.

=====================================================
FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE SECTION OF AMAZON FORUM FOR KINDLE2
http://tinyurl.com/kindle-2-forum

" Posted on Mar 2, 2009 6:01 PM PST
Amazon Kindle Customer Service says:
Good Evening. This is the Official Amazon.com Customer Service post for 3/02/2009

Charging your Kindle battery
With Kindle 2's battery you don't need to fully drain the battery before recharging, or wait until the battery is fully charged to start using it again. The Lithium-ion battery is optimized in such a way that incomplete charging won't affect the battery life. For example, if you drain the battery halfway two days in a row while fully charging both times at night, this would only count as one charge cycle. Leaving Kindle in extreme temperatures, like in your car, will have the most negative impact on the overall life of your battery.

Leaving wireless turned on or sustained use of the wireless functions will cause the battery to drain faster. If you would like to turn the wireless off, select menu from the home screen. Use the five-way controller to select "Wireless Off". Also, downloading a large number of books at once will cause the device to index new content. If you have recently transferred or downloaded a large number of books it is recommended that you leave the device turned on and connected to the charger overnight.

As with any other aspect of Kindle, if you think that your device is not performing as it should, please have detailed notes of your usage and the battery life experienced and contact customer support:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html

=======

OTHER ***VERY INTERESTING*** things from Customer Service's official Thread in Kindle 2 forum

3/4/2009 posting:

"Last Page Read
You do not need to power down Kindle 2 between reading sessions, it is best to leave the device in sleep mode. Holding the switch at the top to power the device off is similar to pulling the power cord on your computer without shutting down the Operating System. If you turn the device off while in the middle of the book, the device cannot save that location. We save the location when the device goes into sleep mode or when you leave the book, so if you do need to power the device off then be sure to go to the Home screen first - this will save your last place in the book.

Wireless Signal in Sleep Mode
Kindle's wireless signal uses low power while in sleep mode so that your subscriptions can download overnight. If you are in a low coverage area, this could cause the device to use more battery power as it continually tries to maintain a signal. Unless you are subscribed to periodicals that you want to receive overnight, we recommend turning wireless off (Press the Menu button and select "Turn Wireless Off" of the menu options) before leaving the device in sleep mode. This will further conserve battery power.

================================================================

I think Amazon may be worried about the effects of letting it run down and not
being able to control how much this might be done. Users let them run down without
even knowing it.

WORSE, mine defaulted to Wireless ON when I opened my unit. That means that
if I didn't know how to turn it Off because I had not read the manual yet, it would
be draining away and that seems to be true for many on the forums who are
wondering why their battery life is so short and wondering where to turn wireless off :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Thank you for this. I've actually been debating with myself whether to start a thread for these Amazon.com Customer service forum posts. I read them every day. I could just post the new ones to the same thread each day.
That's a good idea! It's so hard to find them in all that over there, and they don't make links for you.

Maybe even a sub- or child- forum for them? Each official customer post gets its own topic?
I say that because we'd probably all be into discussing them a bit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
That's a good idea! It's so hard to find them in all that over there, and they don't make links for you.

Maybe even a sub- or child- forum for them? Each official customer post gets its own topic?
I say that because we'd probably all be into discussing them a bit.
I really like that idea. I don't go there much since I found this forum but I'm seeing that they do have useful information if you can wade through the not-so-useful stuff.

Kathie

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sylvia said:
thank you, can I ask what the path is to it?
sylvia
Here's the URL or link I orginally gave to make it easier to remember
how to find the Kindle 2 forum at all. I'll make them links this time
if what I typed didn't become a link.

Kindle 2 forum at Amazon

That'll lead you to that forum, but at the TOP, in a sticky
note that will remain at the top where we can see it is
the "Amazon.com Customer Service" topic where they give
official answers. I think there may be an area here soon
for just their announcements.

Until then, a direct URL or link or path to that topic
thread is one I made a few days ago for me.

http://tinyurl.com/kindle-cust-support-forum

The customer service reps cannot make links to each day's statement
so we have to cut and paste their long links and then put them into the
browser fields ourselves. I think luvmy4brats has been thinking of a
good place for those, where we can just click on links or she may decide
to just put the text of each official announcement in one place here
(I have no idea). Either would be great.

Especially good, as these boards are more fun for discussion :)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Alrighty everybody, there's a thread stickied to the top of this board with all of the CS posts. I'll update it each time they have a new one, and make sure I add the date of the most recent post in the thread's title. I'm keeping it locked, as an information only type of thread, feel free to create threads based on the information found in it. If more than one is started on a similar topic, I'll merge them together. I think this method will make it easier for everyone to read the actual posts.

At the bottom of each post is the link to take you to the actual post on Amazon if you're brave/crazy enough to venture over there :)

-Luv

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Alrighty everybody, there's a thread stickied to the top of this board with all of the CS posts. I'll update it each time they have a new one, and make sure I add the date of the most recent post in the thread's title. I'm keeping it locked, as an information only type of thread, feel free to create threads based on the information found in it. If more than one is started on a similar topic, I'll merge them together. I think this method will make it easier for everyone to read the actual posts.

At the bottom of each post is the link to take you to the actual post on Amazon if you're brave/crazy enough to venture over there :)

-Luv
Ho ho. But I'd rather discuss here. THANKS for the quick and thorough work on this!

Now, when we want to discuss what Customer Svc's official statements were on that forum we can just do that here and refer others to the linked customer-statement that is quoted here.

The link is in blue in the header of each separate posting within each separate day's posting of the latest from customer svc folks.

Just excellent way to do it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
luvmy4brats said:

-Luv
This is a great idea, Luv. Thanks for doing this!

L

1 - 14 of 14 Posts