Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Customer-Service/forum/Fx2EGRL42MHF15D/Tx1XWROEYYNYZUA/12/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=283&asin=B00154JDAI&store=fiona-hardware&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=Mx2HTAOBPKHJ0P8#Mx2HTAOBPKHJ0P8

Just found this posted on the Amazon forums. Looks like Amazon isn't fussed about someone hacking the screensaver?! I wonder if this means they're not planning to change the functionality themselves.

Also info on on battery charging, and on what to do in case of loss or theft.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trekker said:
I wonder if that's Amazon's "official" response or just the opinion of the support person? They say that the battery is Lithium-ion when it's actually Lithium-polymer so I have to question how much of the rest is accurate.
Truth be told, I've rarely found a support person who is accurate on all points, especially the technical ones. :) Generally (not always, obviously), they're not very technical until you start getting into the higher level triage teams. I'd be a bit surprised though to find that they voluntarily posted something policy-wise on Amazon's own forums, in their "official" customer service thread, that went against the corporate plan for the device. I would imagine that the people monitoring that particular thread were given very specific instructions about what they can & cannot say. Of course, anything can change at any time, and it's easy enough for someone else to officially come along & proclaim the first CS person wrong.

Having said that, it's just an interesting data point right now until someone figures out how to do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After seeing the screensavers that are included I hope to find out how to do custom ones, I'd like to have a book cover of my favorite book on it instead :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
"Amazon.com Customer Service does not support or provide instructions for adding custom images to your Kindle to be used as screen savers. However, should you choose to do this on your own it will not void your warranty."

Lol, sounds like a challenge. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."

·
Registered
460 Posts
This is a pretty interesting bit of information. Having a custom screen-saver would be a nice change. I think I would make it something from The Lies Of Locke Lamora. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Britt said:
"Amazon.com Customer Service does not support or provide instructions for adding custom images to your Kindle to be used as screen savers. However, should you choose to do this on your own it will not void your warranty."

Lol, sounds like a challenge. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."
It sounds a bit like what TiVo did in their early days. People bought the box, dismounted the internal drive attached it to another computer and reverse-engineered a lot of neat features (including expanded storage). As long as you didn't set up stealing service, Tivo was very cool with it. This functionality has been taken away in the current models, although when folks figured out how to add disk to the new units, Tivo left that capability in, but doesn't support the backdoor method.

I've always had tons of respect for those folks who buy an expensive unit, then immediately disassemble it to see how it works! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts